facsimile dust jackets

Old September 20th 03, 12:35 AM
Jason Bennett

Default facsimile dust jackets

Hi all,

I have seen books sold with new facsimile dust jackets.
Does anyone know how I can find these dust jackets for my ERB collection?

Thanks!

-Jason

Old September 21st 03, 02:47 PM
Jason Bennett

Thanks Michael,

This is exacly what I'm looking for.

Take care,

-Jason

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Jason Bennett" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have seen books sold with new facsimile dust jackets.
Does anyone know how I can find these dust jackets for my ERB
collection?

Thanks!

-Jason

Have you tried here ?

http://www.facsimiledustjackets.com/

They *may* have what you're looking for.

michael adams

Old September 24th 03, 01:15 AM
Chris Barker

I have been asked by other ABE sellers to supply colour copies of rare
dustwrappers in my possession but have always refused. There is something a
little bit unhealthy about the uncontrollable flooding of once-rare dw
artwork into the marketplace, especially given the propensity for fraud.
Besides, it undermines the integrity of a true original and is a poke in the
eye for the collector who managed to track a great rariety down.

I do have colour copies in my own collection. My view is that it is
reasonable for a dealer to pass on a colour copy along with an original
book, or as a swap with another collector for a similar item. Other than
that, I like to see dw artwork as nature intended, or else in a decent
reference book. I don't much care for sellers who's one business aim is to
raid the inernet for free images that they can print off and sell.

Chris
The Haunted River

www.users.waitrose.com/~hauntedriver

Old September 24th 03, 07:26 PM
H Schinske

Chris writes:

Besides, it undermines the integrity of a true original and is a poke in the
eye for the collector who managed to track a great rariety down.

What, the rest of us aren't worthy to know what the original dust jacket looked
like? This makes no sense. There would be no market for books about art, much
less museum reproductions, if everyone felt this way.

--Helen
Old September 25th 03, 10:29 AM
Chris Barker

"H Schinske" wrote in message
Chris writes:

Besides, it undermines the integrity of a true original and is a poke in

the
eye for the collector who managed to track a great rariety down.

What, the rest of us aren't worthy to know what the original dust jacket

looked
like? This makes no sense. There would be no market for books about art,

much
less museum reproductions, if everyone felt this way.

--Helen

But I said that dw artwork should be featured in books about dw artwork!

I dislike the marketplace place being flooded with phony dw photocopies. No
one is going to try to pass off a fake Matisse xerox as real, but people do
try to pass off fake dws as real. Plus it IS a kick in the eye for a
collector to see his valuable dw tumble in value because some dealer decides
to sell xerox copies to everyone who wants one for their jacketless copy.
Exclusivity of the orginal has been lost.

For those who can't afford originals, I agree, reference books are the next
best thing.