1871 3 cent nickle

Old November 2nd 03, 11:21 PM
Bernhard Rich

Default 1871 3 cent nickle

OK, I'm stumped, why is this going for $44.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=33 56

Old November 3rd 03, 12:16 AM
Bill Krummel

"Bernhard Rich" wrote in message
OK, I'm stumped, why is this going for $44.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=33 56

Conjectu Underbidder actually placed his bid on the first day of the
three day auction, the auction less than four hours old. He places a proxy
bid of $43.35 ( ok, if that's the bidder's age in the dollar columns, then
his mistress' age makes sense), figuring he wants the coin and with his
proxy bid, he figures he will win at a reasonable level, probably between
$10-$15. Anyway, he logs off the internet, showing as the only bidder at
$2.00, and he goes on a weekender to the mountains, or whatever.

Well along comes Mr. Newbie. "Wow! Lookie there, hon. They used to make 3
cent pieces. Now those gotta be rare. Where's that book we got at the
rummage sale? You know, the one that gives old coin values. Hey, thanks.
Let's see, three cent coins, three cent coins, ah, here we go. Hmmm,
different prices for 1871. This coin stuff is complicated. Now, somewhere
in this book it explains the letters at the top of the different columns."

"Ok, hon, I got it figured out. This here coin in this auction, this three
cent coin, it's almost like new, and coins like that are worth $55 or more.
I'm going to pop in a bid of $50 - maybe I'll win and get me a good deal.
Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. Sure it's worth that much, lookie
there, someone else bid into the forties. Cross your fingers, I may get
that thing for $45 and get a super bargain."

End of conjecture. The above conjecture has likely happened before,
somewhere, sometime, which is another reason why I wait until the end of an
auction to put my best bid in. Bill

Old November 3rd 03, 01:23 PM
Bernhard Rich

Only other possibility is some newbie thot it was 3 cents silver.