Advise needed: How to remove sticker residue

Old November 2nd 03, 05:49 AM
Jim and Lynn Lasher

Default Advise needed: How to remove sticker residue

I just bought a slabbed Barber quarter which has been "stickered" many times
from many dealers over the years... Now that it has a permanent home for the
forseeable future, I'd like to remove the residue safely... without
chemicals and without a razor blade. Probably a question with an obvious
answer, but if someone could suggest a way, I'd appreciate it.

-jim-

Old November 2nd 03, 05:56 AM
Phil DeMayo

"Jim and Lynn Lasher" asked:

I just bought a slabbed Barber quarter which has been "stickered" many times
from many dealers over the years... Now that it has a permanent home for the
forseeable future, I'd like to remove the residue safely... without
chemicals and without a razor blade. Probably a question with an obvious
answer, but if someone could suggest a way, I'd appreciate it.

There are a number of citrus based products that would probablt do the trick.
One that I have used before in similar circumstances is calle (don't laugh)
"Goo Gone"

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old November 2nd 03, 09:42 AM
J. A. M.

Jim and Lynn Lasher wrote:

I just bought a slabbed Barber quarter which has been "stickered" many times
from many dealers over the years... Now that it has a permanent home for the
forseeable future, I'd like to remove the residue safely... without
chemicals and without a razor blade. Probably a question with an obvious
answer, but if someone could suggest a way, I'd appreciate it.

-jim-

WD-40 works best.

http://www.wd40.com/

http://www.twbc.org/wd40.htm

JAM
Old November 2nd 03, 11:35 AM
phil

I don't know if denatured alchohol will work,or maybe nail polish remover.
Try not to put anything directly on the slab-put some on a cloth or paper
towel and try wiping it
some products can cause the plastic slab to cloud.
good luck-
phil

Old November 2nd 03, 02:37 PM
Bruce Remick

Phil DeMayo wrote:

"J. A. M." wrote:

WD-40 works best.

And what do you use to remove the WD-40?

You could always put a sticker over the spot.

Bruce
Old November 2nd 03, 02:53 PM
John Carney

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
"Jim and Lynn Lasher" asked:

I just bought a slabbed Barber quarter which has been "stickered" many times
from many dealers over the years... Now that it has a permanent home for the
forseeable future, I'd like to remove the residue safely... without
chemicals and without a razor blade. Probably a question with an obvious
answer, but if someone could suggest a way, I'd appreciate it.

There are a number of citrus based products that would probablt do the trick.
One that I have used before in similar circumstances is calle (don't laugh)
"Goo Gone"

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits

You're right, Phil. Goo Gone is the best thing for this. It's a citrus based cleaner which
won't leave residue or harm the plastic. This is what I use and then I polish the slab
with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. PCGS slabs clean up the best. They seem to be made of
a harder plastic than NGC slabs.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old November 2nd 03, 03:02 PM
Steve Okonski

Jim and Lynn Lasher wrote:

I just bought a slabbed Barber quarter which has been "stickered" many times
from many dealers over the years... Now that it has a permanent home for the
forseeable future, I'd like to remove the residue safely... without
chemicals and without a razor blade. Probably a question with an obvious
answer, but if someone could suggest a way, I'd appreciate it.

peanut butter (no joke)
Old November 2nd 03, 04:40 PM
Coin Saver

From: Steve Okonski

has been "stickered" many times I'd like to remove the residue safely.

peanut butter (no joke)

Definitely no joke; you'll be surprised at how well this works.

8-/

Coin Saver