UK postal strike?

Old November 1st 03, 11:39 PM
JSTONE9352

Default UK postal strike?

I read on another newsgroup that there is a post office strike going on in the
UK and the mail is not getting delivered. When did this start? If you mail
something to the UK or are expecting something from there it may be awhile
before it comes.
Old November 2nd 03, 01:17 AM
Scottishmoney

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message
I read on another newsgroup that there is a post office strike going on in

the
UK and the mail is not getting delivered. When did this start? If you

mail
something to the UK or are expecting something from there it may be awhile
before it comes.

Heard nothing of this so far, but you might want to check bbc.co.uk for info
on it. The BRM was having labour issues recently and there were threats of
strikes. Seems like the lowest paid workers in the Llantrisant mint were
making about £11000 a year or about $18000 in US$.

Dave

---

Old November 2nd 03, 01:42 AM
Arwel Parry

In message , JSTONE9352
writes
I read on another newsgroup that there is a post office strike going on in the
UK and the mail is not getting delivered. When did this start? If you mail
something to the UK or are expecting something from there it may be awhile
before it comes.

There's been unofficial strikes in the London area for about 12 weeks
now, but it only really took off in the last 4 or 5 days. It's spread to
many of the sorting offices in central England, but the north of
England, Scotland, and Wales are, I think, unaffected so far. Talks
between the PO management and the union are continuing.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/
Old November 2nd 03, 01:23 PM
JSTONE9352

Heard nothing of this so far, but you might want to check bbc.co.uk for info
on it. The BRM was having labour issues recently and there were threats of
strikes. Seems like the lowest paid workers in the Llantrisant mint were
making about £11000 a year or about $18000 in US$.

Dave

---

What I've picked up so far is that

wildcat strikes have been happening
in the London area over the past 12
weeks and in the last 4-5 days has
been spreading to other parts of the
country. Negotiations are continuing
with the govt.

Mail is getting backed up and many
people are angry. Some people over
there are not listing anything on Ebay
until the situation is resolved.

Old November 2nd 03, 04:17 PM
Larry Louks

JSTONE9352 wrote:
Heard nothing of this so far, but you might want to check bbc.co.uk for

info on it.

I have a friend over there who just now replied to my query about postal
strikes --

"Yes, you heard right - there is a mail strike on here -we've had no mail
since last Tuesday. It started in London and surrounding areas (we're about
30 miles away), and is spreading around the country. Anything that goes via
London, which is possibly all airmail, is going nowhere at the moment. Which
is no help to the loads of UK ebayers selling stuff like mad, who can't get
paid or ship out their goods!! So the old excuse 'the check's in the post'
is probably true!"

So indeed there is a huge problem. For the sake of our friends in the UK,
let's hope that things can be resolved soon, and very soon!

Larry

Old November 2nd 03, 04:32 PM
note.boy

Sadam Hussein is behind it to prevent Christians sending Christmas
cards, the US Army should invade any day now. :-) Billy

Arwel Parry wrote:

In message , JSTONE9352
writes

Old November 2nd 03, 05:31 PM
Peter

Arwel Parry wrote in message . ..
In message , JSTONE9352
writes
I read on another newsgroup that there is a post office strike going on in the
UK and the mail is not getting delivered. When did this start? If you mail
something to the UK or are expecting something from there it may be awhile
before it comes.

There's been unofficial strikes in the London area for about 12 weeks
now, but it only really took off in the last 4 or 5 days. It's spread to
many of the sorting offices in central England, but the north of
England, Scotland, and Wales are, I think, unaffected so far. Talks
between the PO management and the union are continuing.

According to the radio there are currently around 100,000,000 pieces
of mail in the backlog at the moment, so even once the strike's over
expect delays of weeks or more.

The full list of affected areas is at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3226717.stm . It's p'raps also worth
noting that a lot of mail coming to the UK, and within the UK, goes
through London. Hopefully they've rerouted it through unaffected
areas, but you can't be entirely sure. FWIW all the affected areas
apart from Lanarkshire (which is now clear anyway) are in the South,
South East, or the Midlands. Northern England, the Westcountry, Wales
and Scotland are basically unaffected.

--
Peter
Please send any reply to peter - at - 3feet - co - uk
Old November 2nd 03, 06:13 PM
JSTONE9352

I would guess that most or all of the
mail coming to the UK via air mail probably
goes thru Heathrow or the other airport
in London (forgot the name at the moment). Any Ebay stuff coming or
going that way is probably going to be
held up. Are US post office accepting
mail going to the UK at this time?
Old November 3rd 03, 01:00 PM
Peter

"Larry Louks" wrote in message news:X6apb.85353$Fm2.63884@attbi_s04...
JSTONE9352 wrote:
[...]

A settlement was reached today, and so the strikers are back at work -
but they'll go back on strike at the drop of a hat. As I say, it
seems to be a South-Eastern problem: the reason that there were
wildcat strikes was that the ballot for an official strike failed,
probably because the PO workers in the North, in Wales and in Scotland
didn't want it.

The BBC Website - at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3236765.stm -
suggests that it could be weeks before the backlog is cleared and an
entirely normal service resumes.

--
Peter
Use peter - at - 3feet - co - uk for any replies.