$2 Bills (What went wrong?)

Old October 31st 03, 04:33 PM
Barney

(Malanutt 4 Life) wrote in
:

One thing I don't understand is, why don't retailers order and use $2
bills? And why don't banks actively give them out as needed? There is
a spot in most cash regesters ($1, $2, $5, $10, $20) larger
denominations and checks and other things that end up in the fifth
slot should be put under the drawer.

It's for SOME of the very same reasons why the same is true with Golden
Dollars. Merchants already have other bills that work so there is no
need change or order them from the banks.

2 Ones for 1 Two work fine. 1 paper One, for 1 Golden Dollar works fine.

Also, many mercants can't seem to do without leaving that extra space in
the register for paper clips, rubber bands and extra rolls of
coins...even thought that's not what they were designed to hold.

Why put 2 dollar bills in regesters? Oh my, the merchant would have to
resort to using a regular drawer that may be out of reach or require
bending over or reaching up or accross to store rubber bands, paper clips
and what not. They might even have to lift the coin tray to get to the
area where coin rolls are suppost to be stored.

That would be a horrable thing...

Barney
Old October 31st 03, 04:44 PM
Ken Barr

In article , "Michael G. Koerner"
wrote:

[snip]

$2 was never heavily used in the USA. In fact, recall that many years
ago, the common denomination in that range was $2.50 (gold Quarter
Eagles).

$2's were used extensively at horse-racing tracks in the
1940's - 1960's. Most of the notes with corners torn off
were reportedly done by bettors in order to "improve their
luck" ... I recall spending $2's in the 1960's and getting
snide comments like "Been out to Garden State today, eh?".

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old October 31st 03, 05:24 PM
bob peterson

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message ...
"Malanutt 4 Life" wrote in message
One thing I don't understand is, why don't retailers order and use $2

bills?
And why don't banks actively give them out as needed? There is a spot in

most
cash regesters ($1, $2, $5, $10, $20) larger denominations and checks and

other
things that end up in the fifth slot should be put under the drawer. I

don't
see why the government won't push for wider circulation of the $2 bill. It

may
save money and maybe retailers wouldn't run out of $1 bills as much. I

think
banks handing out $2 bills would be the key to their circulation. Of

course,
who knows, with people saving $2 bills. I was thinking of trying to get

some
stores to use $2 bills if I supply the store with them.

Tom

I can tell you that some, especially older people are rather suspicious of
them. Back in earlier years they were the amount of a bet at horse races,
and that has led to some allegations that is why people don't like them.
Frankly whatever happened in the past to tarnish the image of the deuce, it
lasted long enough that most people do not like it, and now don't even
realise why.

Dave

The reason $2 bills aren't all that popular is the same reason as $1
coins aren't.

1. No real compelling reason to use them.

2. No spaces in the cash register for them for most retailers.

3. Extra costs associated with handling extra denominations without
any real benefit to the retailer.

The tiny amount of cost savings to the federal government that might
be gained by any widespread use of $1 coins or $2 bills is dwarfed by
the extra costs the private sector would have to bear to use them.

---

Old October 31st 03, 05:41 PM
Fred Shecter

I didn't deal with Fleet (except for a mortgage I had here in LA a few years ago - that
was sold to someone else), but I had an account a Coolidge (so I could use the "Cool Cash
Machine" at the dawn of the ATM age in the late 1970's).

The "new" B of A is better than the "old" , BUT it still varies from branch to branch
depending upon the personality of the individuals working in each branch.

If they attempt to "train" you to be a meek and compliant customer, feel free to go
medieval on them and call the regional customer service folks on the toll-free phone.
Explain the problem fully and they will attempt to have them re-educated.

And if you see forms that are 'anti-two' or 'anti-dollar coin', then report those as well.
During a merger is the best time to get forms updated and corrected.

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
In article , Fred Shecter
wrote:

Take Bank of America for example. The merchant change form had lines
for dollar coins and twos on the BACK where the incoming money is
listed and NO lines for requesting dollar coins or Twos on the front
of the form. They did everything possible to "train" the merchant
customers to stop asking for those denominations.

The new forms now have those denominations listed. I wrote a few
letters over the years, but I never saw any action until they merged
with Nations Bank.

Now that Fleet is being bought by, oh I'm sorry, MERGING with Bank of
America, I wonder if Fleet's policies on halves, dollar coins and twos
will become better or worse? (Being from the Northeast, I've never
seen a Bank of America branch.)

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

Old October 31st 03, 06:20 PM
Coin Saver

From: malanutt4life

why don't retailers order and use $2 bills?

Same reason for not doing so with the SBA/SacaBuk: lack of popularity.

I don't see why the government won't push for wider circulation of the $2

bill.
Can lead a horse to water, but can't force it to drink.

It may save money

So would eliminating / trimming an innumerable amount of needless gov't
programs.

maybe retailers wouldn't run out of $1 bills as much.

Sure they would. Same problem still exists: have minimal amount of cash on hand
to discourage robbery. If robbery weren't an issue, they wouldn't have this
problem.

I think banks handing out $2 bills would be the key to their circulation.

Still, you've got to get the customer to WANT to take it. THAT is the "real"
problem.

If you went into the bank to cash a check, and the teller insisted you take $50
of it in rolled quarters, what would you say? Same thing: "I don't want that -
just give me 'regular' money".

8-/
Coin Saver
Old October 31st 03, 07:31 PM
Numismatist

I can tell you that some, especially older people are rather suspicious of
them. Back in earlier years they were the amount of a bet at horse races,
and that has led to some allegations that is why people don't like them.
Frankly whatever happened in the past to tarnish the image of the deuce, it
lasted long enough that most people do not like it, and now don't even
realise why.

Dave

To add to this, there is the fact that the devil (Lucifer, Satan, whatever) is
also referred to as "the deuce". Some think that the $2 bill is not only
unlucky, but also blasphemous. The $2 bill wasn't ALWAYS unpopular, but sure
has been in the last 50 years.
Old October 31st 03, 08:08 PM
Bob Flaminio

bob peterson wrote:
2. No spaces in the cash register for them for most retailers.

This is why those who advocate $2 bills also need to get on the dollar
coin and cent elimination bandwagons. If we want to get these
instruments into use, we need to shift the cash register till a little.

Right now most 5-slot cash registers are filled thusly:

Small row -- Cents; Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Paper Clips
Big row -- Dollars; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

It is my proposition that a cheaper and more efficient US monetary
system can be implemented like this:

Small row -- Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Sackies; Paper Clips
Big row -- Twos; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

But I doubt the zinc lobby and the Crane company will allow that to
happen.

--
Bob

Old October 31st 03, 08:45 PM
Grandpa

Cliff wrote:
snipped
Also, it's a widely believed urban legend that votes were bought with
two dollar bills and that people who showed up with them had sold
their votes.

Cool, now to find a shirt w/ $2 bill on it and wear it to the pollsG.

Old November 1st 03, 01:00 AM
Scottishmoney

"Dai Lun" wrote in message An anecdote:

Back in China there was a time when the standard price of admission to
a brothel was $2.00 (or the equivalent).

When many Chinese immigrants came to America during the gold rush, it
came to be an extreme insult to give someone a $2.00 bill. It was
taken that you were calling them a "brothel employee".

DaiLun

Supposedly "personal favours" cost $3.00 in the US back during that time.
May have been some of the downfall of the $3.00 bill, which was not too
uncommon during the mid 19th century.

Dave

---