$2 Bills (What went wrong?)

Old October 31st 03, 07:37 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

Default $2 Bills (What went wrong?)

One thing I don't understand is, why don't retailers order and use $2 bills?
And why don't banks actively give them out as needed? There is a spot in most
cash regesters ($1, $2, $5, $10, $20) larger denominations and checks and other
things that end up in the fifth slot should be put under the drawer. I don't
see why the government won't push for wider circulation of the $2 bill. It may
save money and maybe retailers wouldn't run out of $1 bills as much. I think
banks handing out $2 bills would be the key to their circulation. Of course,
who knows, with people saving $2 bills. I was thinking of trying to get some
stores to use $2 bills if I supply the store with them.

Tom
Old October 31st 03, 07:50 AM
Michael G. Koerner

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:

One thing I don't understand is, why don't retailers order and use $2 bills?
And why don't banks actively give them out as needed? There is a spot in most
cash regesters ($1, $2, $5, $10, $20) larger denominations and checks and other
things that end up in the fifth slot should be put under the drawer. I don't
see why the government won't push for wider circulation of the $2 bill. It may
save money and maybe retailers wouldn't run out of $1 bills as much. I think
banks handing out $2 bills would be the key to their circulation. Of course,
who knows, with people saving $2 bills. I was thinking of trying to get some
stores to use $2 bills if I supply the store with them.

Tom

$2 was never heavily used in the USA. In fact, recall that many years
ago, the common denomination in that range was $2.50 (gold Quarter Eagles).

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old October 31st 03, 12:01 PM
Scottishmoney

"Malanutt 4 Life" wrote in message
[...]

I can tell you that some, especially older people are rather suspicious of
them. Back in earlier years they were the amount of a bet at horse races,
and that has led to some allegations that is why people don't like them.
Frankly whatever happened in the past to tarnish the image of the deuce, it
lasted long enough that most people do not like it, and now don't even
realise why.

Dave

---

Old October 31st 03, 01:04 PM
A.Gent

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

I can tell you that some, especially older people are rather suspicious of
them. Back in earlier years they were the amount of a bet at horse races,
and that has led to some allegations that is why people don't like them.
Frankly whatever happened in the past to tarnish the image of the deuce,

it
lasted long enough that most people do not like it, and now don't even
realise why.

Dave

I can second that.
I'm just now reading a book on collecting Australian Coins. It was published
in 1966, and it mentions as an aside that that the US$2 bill has long been
held to be "unlucky".
This from nearly 40 years ago, and the "other" side of the world.

Old October 31st 03, 02:40 PM
Scottishmoney

"A.Gent" wrote in message
u...

[...]

My grandfather died last year, whilst we were going through some old trunks
at my Grandparents home, I found an old envelope in one of the boxes. It
contained 4 $2 bills from the 1928 series, all but one which had had small
portions of the corners torn off. Apparently that was thought to undo the
bad luck. Somewhere else in the accumulation I found some 1935 era silver
certificates. Nothing too exciting but neat surprises nonetheless.

Dave

---

Old October 31st 03, 03:06 PM
Fred Shecter

That's easy.

The banks.

Take Bank of America for example. The merchant change form had lines for dollar coins and
twos on the BACK where the incoming money is listed and NO lines for requesting dollar
coins or Twos on the front of the form. They did everything possible to "train" the
merchant customers to stop asking for those denominations.

The new forms now have those denominations listed. I wrote a few letters over the years,
but I never saw any action until they merged with Nations Bank.

Anyone have stories about their banks?

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Old October 31st 03, 04:19 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , Fred Shecter
wrote:

Take Bank of America for example. The merchant change form had lines
for dollar coins and twos on the BACK where the incoming money is
listed and NO lines for requesting dollar coins or Twos on the front
of the form. They did everything possible to "train" the merchant
customers to stop asking for those denominations.

The new forms now have those denominations listed. I wrote a few
letters over the years, but I never saw any action until they merged
with Nations Bank.

Now that Fleet is being bought by, oh I'm sorry, MERGING with Bank of
America, I wonder if Fleet's policies on halves, dollar coins and twos
will become better or worse? (Being from the Northeast, I've never
seen a Bank of America branch.)

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old October 31st 03, 04:55 PM
Scottishmoney

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
news:311020031021242599% Now that Fleet is being bought by, oh I'm sorry,
MERGING with Bank of
America, I wonder if Fleet's policies on halves, dollar coins and twos
will become better or worse? (Being from the Northeast, I've never
seen a Bank of America branch.)

Paul

I would hope it would be better, Bank of America was
aaaaawwwwwwwfuuuuulllllll when I had to deal with them for foreign currency
exchange. I have never used any but local yokel banks since then.

Dave

---

Old October 31st 03, 05:27 PM
Grandpa

What I see in those 5 slots in most stores in $1, $5, $10, $20 and
checks with the whatever stuff all in that 5th slot, and coin rolls.
I've been getting $2 bills from my bank as they have them and been
spending them with no negative looks, unlike the $1 coin, which I
aggressively spend tooG.

Old October 31st 03, 05:32 PM
Grandpa

I can tell you from my personal experiences that Bank of America is a
lousy bank to deal with in the Southwest(NM). They don't give a rats
ass with a 4' tail about your money, you or your opinion, but they are
big and society has deemed that banks and credit cards etc are the only
way to do business.