Does anybody have a Tiberius gold tribute penny for sale?

Old November 1st 03, 07:33 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On 1 Nov 2003 07:32:15 -0800, (Michael E.
Marotta) wrote:

And I guess I would have to underscore your intuition over "tribute"
for that matter. Everyone calls it a "Tribute Penny." Calling it a
"Census Denarius" is not going to ease communication.

This is what this issue is about. The coin in question is not a
"penny." There were no pennies, no coins known by this denomination,
in ancient Rome, or Greece, or Israel, as I said. In checking, seems I
was wrong about it appearing as such in the New Testament. I don't
have problem admitting this. You should try it sometime, admitting
your mistakes. It's not hard. I also don't have major problem with the
usage "Tribute penny" as long as it's known and understood that this
is just a, well, coined expression.

--

Email me at
(delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old November 1st 03, 08:10 PM
Ankaaz

Reid, ever clueless, wrote:

"This is what this issue is about. The coin in question is not a 'penny.' There
were no pennies, no coins known by this denomination, in ancient Rome, or
Greece, or Israel, as I said. In checking, seems I
was wrong about it appearing as such in the New Testament. I don't have problem
admitting this. You should try it sometime, admitting your mistakes. It's not
hard. I also don't have major problem with the
usage 'Tribute penny' as long as it's known and understood that this is just a,
well, coined expression."

Do you mean to tell me there is no such coin as a Roman mite?????

You just can't trust those translators of the Bible!

Anka ---- at one time thought that the widow had an infestation problem
Old November 2nd 03, 07:50 PM
Edward McGrath

: )