$2 Bills (What went wrong?)

Old November 1st 03, 02:58 AM
Bruce Remick

Bob Flaminio wrote:

bob peterson wrote:
2. No spaces in the cash register for them for most retailers.

This is why those who advocate $2 bills also need to get on the dollar
coin and cent elimination bandwagons. If we want to get these
instruments into use, we need to shift the cash register till a little.

Right now most 5-slot cash registers are filled thusly:

Small row -- Cents; Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Paper Clips
Big row -- Dollars; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

It is my proposition that a cheaper and more efficient US monetary
system can be implemented like this:

Small row -- Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Sackies; Paper Clips
Big row -- Twos; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

Don't forget-- even if the dollar bill and cent were no longer made,
there would be tons of them out there and they would still be
spendable. Consumers probably would still use the existing $1 bills as
long as they remained in circulation, so register drawers would still
have to accommodate them. Pennies would eventually go from kitchen jars
to banks and then taxpayers would pay to have them stored somewhere
indefinitely.

Bruce
Old November 1st 03, 05:06 AM
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:58:57 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

Bob Flaminio wrote:

bob peterson wrote:
2. No spaces in the cash register for them for most retailers.

This is why those who advocate $2 bills also need to get on the dollar
coin and cent elimination bandwagons. If we want to get these
instruments into use, we need to shift the cash register till a little.

Right now most 5-slot cash registers are filled thusly:

Small row -- Cents; Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Paper Clips
Big row -- Dollars; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

It is my proposition that a cheaper and more efficient US monetary
system can be implemented like this:

Small row -- Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Sackies; Paper Clips
Big row -- Twos; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

Don't forget-- even if the dollar bill and cent were no longer made,
there would be tons of them out there and they would still be
spendable.

Yes, but while all those pennies will never die (except the crappy
zinckies which will eventually decay into a pile of whitish yuck); the
dollar notes would within a couple years disintegrate into nothing but
pure diznee dollars!

Stores could also post signs like "no pennies" or "please take out
pennies!" Anything to be rid of them.

Consumers probably would still use the existing $1 bills as
long as they remained in circulation, so register drawers would still
have to accommodate them.

Not at all. Just slip them under the cash drawer, along with the 50s
and 100s.

Pennies would eventually go from kitchen jars
to banks and then taxpayers would pay to have them stored somewhere
indefinitely.

A smart government would realise that they could take 15 or 20c of old
pennies, melt them and mint them into brand spankin new diznee
dollars. They should just plain melt the zinckies into oblivion.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old November 1st 03, 02:58 PM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

Bob Flaminio wrote:

bob peterson wrote:
[...]

I think that would gradually occur naturally, assuming prices were
rounded. As people seldom leave the house with pennies anymore, and
merchants don't give them in change, they'll disappear like the half
dollar.

Consumers probably would still use the existing $1 bills as
long as they remained in circulation, so register drawers would still
have to accommodate them.

Not at all. Just slip them under the cash drawer, along with the 50s
and 100s.

I'd bet that for a few years there would be more $1 bills circulating
than $50's and $100's, given the reduced need for anyone to carry such
large bills with them to purchase stuff. Until all the $1 bills wore
out, I would also bet there would be more of them circulating than $2
bills, until the public was eventually forced to consider the $2. And
then, there would be competition between the $2 bill and the dollar
coins. My guess is that the coins would win out, unless the government
pushed an extensivre promotional campaign for the the $2 bill. (Sounds
so ridiculous that our govt should have to promote its money to its own
citizens nowadays)

Pennies would eventually go from kitchen jars
to banks and then taxpayers would pay to have them stored somewhere
indefinitely.

A smart government would realise that they could take 15 or 20c of old
pennies, melt them and mint them into brand spankin new diznee
dollars. They should just plain melt the zinckies into oblivion.

For that matter, they could melt down all the stored SBA's and SAC's
that weren't needed in a given year and use the juice to make new
dollars for the next year-- just in case.

Bruce
Old November 1st 03, 05:58 PM
John Baumgart

wrote:

Bob Flaminio wrote:
Don't forget-- even if the dollar bill and cent were no longer made,
there would be tons of them out there and they would still be
spendable.

Yes, but while all those pennies will never die (except the crappy
zinckies which will eventually decay into a pile of whitish yuck); the
dollar notes would within a couple years disintegrate into nothing but
pure diznee dollars!

Stores could also post signs like "no pennies" or "please take out
pennies!" Anything to be rid of them.

How about something more positive sounding. Have a "pennies for charity"
box next to the register for pennies. They will be accepted as payment, but
not given as change. Maybe it would encourage "dead ending" pennies.

John Baumgart

Old November 1st 03, 06:47 PM
Coin Saver

From: numismatist

the devil (Lucifer, Satan, whatever) is also referred to as "the deuce". Some

think that the $2 bill is not only unlucky, but also blasphemous. The $2 bill
wasn't ALWAYS unpopular, but sure has been in the last 50 years.

First I ever heard of this.
8-0
Coin Saver
Old November 2nd 03, 08:53 PM
Edward McGrath

: )

Old November 3rd 03, 03:58 PM
Fred Shecter

That's what I was trying to say.

B of A (and other banks) will vary from branch to branch depending upon the
whims/superstitions/prejudice/stupidity/happiness/eagerness/bitterness of the employees at
that particular branch.

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

"Mark" wrote in message
And I have had just the opposite experience with a Florida branch of BOA.
They have gone out of their way to make us happy on several occasions when my
wife and I were trying to deal with her dad's estate. Service that rivaled a
mom & pop bank.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:32:43 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

I can tell you from my personal experiences that Bank of America is a
lousy bank to deal with in the Southwest(NM). They don't give a rats
ass with a 4' tail about your money, you or your opinion, but they are
big and society has deemed that banks and credit cards etc are the only
way to do business.

Paul Anderson wrote:

Now that Fleet is being bought by, oh I'm sorry, MERGING with Bank of
America, I wonder if Fleet's policies on halves, dollar coins and twos
will become better or worse? (Being from the Northeast, I've never
seen a Bank of America branch.)

Paul

Old November 3rd 03, 08:24 PM
Grandpa

Maybe its just the staff at this branch, one of the larger ones. I've
never seen such apathy by a bank. OTOH a much smaller bank, Bank of
Albuquerque goes out of its way to please me and other customers. Staff
is smiling and really nice to people - and helpful.

I can ask for GDs at BoA and am told they have none and/or don't expect
any in, same basic msg for the new quarters periodically. BoAbq always
has a response and has offered to order $2 bills for me, halves etc and
typically has several GD rolls around - mixes but...