When were duty stamps first used on checks in the US?

Old January 3rd 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Jim D

Default When were duty stamps first used on checks in the US?

Does anyone know when the first duty stamps were used on American bank
checks? I thought they were introduced in 1861, but I have a
hand-written check dated 1849 that has one. The stamp is orange-brown
with "U.S.INTER.REV" at top and bottom with G. Washington portrait.

I guess the stamp could have been affixed subsequently, or perhaps the
"4" in the date is really a "6"...

Thanks,

Jim D
Old January 4th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

Maybe it is like the Australian cheque that I bought from a reputable
dealer recently that is dated three years prior to the banks existence.
:-)

I got it a bit cheaper when I pointed it out.