The Media Mail Question

Old July 4th 03, 09:07 AM
dsw

Default The Media Mail Question

Hello,

Here's one that's been buggin' me for a long time...

I've won some auctions, and I've noticed that some folks use
Media Mail to ship stamps, and some people don't. I've asked
sometimes to used it, to reduce the shipping cost, and I've had
them tell me "Oh, no... Can't do that, it's against USPS policy,
and I know 'cause I work(ed) for the Post Office." etc.... etc...

Now, here's my observations:

(1) Stamps ARE printed material. (If you really wanna get crazy,
you could say a stamp was a very small, one page BOOK.)

and

(2) Once you pack them, they are BOUND.

So, even if they don't technically qualify for Media Mail rate,
there is also the "Bound Printed Material" Rate.

Any legal students wanna get in on this one?

Just curious.

Old July 4th 03, 04:30 PM
Eric Bustad

dsw wrote:
Hello,

Here's one that's been buggin' me for a long time...

I've won some auctions, and I've noticed that some folks use
Media Mail to ship stamps, and some people don't. I've asked
sometimes to used it, to reduce the shipping cost, and I've had
them tell me "Oh, no... Can't do that, it's against USPS policy,
and I know 'cause I work(ed) for the Post Office." etc.... etc...

Now, here's my observations:

(1) Stamps ARE printed material. (If you really wanna get crazy,
you could say a stamp was a very small, one page BOOK.)

and

(2) Once you pack them, they are BOUND.

So, even if they don't technically qualify for Media Mail rate,
there is also the "Bound Printed Material" Rate.

Any legal students wanna get in on this one?

Just curious.

Check the relevant sections of the DMM at
http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm/E712.pdf and
http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm/E713.pdf

= Eric

Old July 4th 03, 04:48 PM
David J. Snyder

In article , "dsw"

Subject: The Media Mail Question
From: "dsw"
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:07:51 GMT

Hello,

Here's one that's been buggin' me for a long time...

I've won some auctions, and I've noticed that some folks use
Media Mail to ship stamps, and some people don't. I've asked
sometimes to used it, to reduce the shipping cost, and I've had
them tell me "Oh, no... Can't do that, it's against USPS policy,
and I know 'cause I work(ed) for the Post Office." etc.... etc...

Now, here's my observations:

(1) Stamps ARE printed material. (If you really wanna get crazy,
you could say a stamp was a very small, one page BOOK.)

and

(2) Once you pack them, they are BOUND.

So, even if they don't technically qualify for Media Mail rate,
there is also the "Bound Printed Material" Rate.

Any legal students wanna get in on this one?

Just curious

Stamps themseleves are not elligible for printed matter rate.
Albums, catalogs etc are.
David Snyder
David J. Snyder
127 Joseph Avenue
Staten Island, New York 10314-5054
USA
Web Site : http://members.aol.com/djs127
Old July 4th 03, 05:12 PM
dsw

OK, thanks for the information.

But, how do some people still get away with sending them that way?
Even right now, I see a couple of current auctions going where the seller
has a bulk stamp lot, no stockbook, no album, and is sending
via Media Mail.

Thanks.

Old July 6th 03, 12:20 AM
Eric Bustad

dsw wrote:
OK, thanks for the information.

But, how do some people still get away with sending them that way?
Even right now, I see a couple of current auctions going where the seller
has a bulk stamp lot, no stockbook, no album, and is sending
via Media Mail.

They just don't tell the postal clerk what is really in the package. Do
you think that the Post Office checks every package to make sure that
the contents are OK?

= Eric

Old September 10th 04, 01:19 AM

One drawback to sending by media mail...the postal service does not return
them if undeliverable. They go to the trash can in the back of the post
office.
Old September 10th 04, 01:06 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

In article ,
wrote:
One drawback to sending by media mail...the postal service does not return
them if undeliverable. They go to the trash can in the back of the post
office.

Not if you have purchased any extra service for the package. Such as,
say, 13 cents for electronic delivery confirmation.

= Eric
--
= Eric K. Bustad Voice: +1 732 949 6257
CAD Systems Engineering Fax: +1 732 949 7512