High price for counterfeit.

Old December 9th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Default High price for counterfeit.

Ending at £78 was a bit of a surprise even if it is a nice one. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260188101875

Old December 9th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Dec 9, 12:51 pm, "note.boy" wrote:
Ending at £78 was a bit of a surprise even if it is a nice one. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260188101875

I Had the Same problem.
I collect American dollrs.
Beware of any item from the Mainland Of CHINA...

Regards Herman

a href="http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/system/Referral.jsp?
ID=BTF_1_User_343870&target=http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/"My Referral
Link/a
Old December 9th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on
12/09/2007
at 10:06 AM, said:

On Dec 9, 12:51 pm, "note.boy" wrote:
Ending at £78 was a bit of a surprise even if it is a nice one. Billy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260188101875

I Had the Same problem.
I collect American dollrs.
Beware of any item from the Mainland Of CHINA...

I think most of us know to be leary of "coins" offered by far-east eBay
sellers.

However, this piece wasn't really "a problem". The coin was clearly labeled
as a counterfeit, and looking at it, you can clearly see the classic signs
of an extremely off-metal copy, once plated perhaps, but whete the coating
has worn off and it just looks "funny". At first I thought eBay had missed
that key word in the title, but seeing as this is a UK auction and these are
totally technically legal, I'm betting there was no miss. SOMETIMES those
Brits make more sense than us Colonists

Some of us collection counterfeits. No, not those modern-day casts meant to
look like the real-thing copies from China, but "contemporary fakes". For
me, it's bogus bust halves made in the 1830's or so, and made to be
spendable as copies of the currently circulating coins of the time. There
are references available all about these, and despite some minor
belly-aching from the morally superior (please, read with as much sarcasm as
possible), there are many collectors chasing fakes like these.

This peices looks to me to be "contemporary", although I do not know much
about 8 reales coins nor their copies. It IS interesting, tho. In looks
alone if for no other reason!

Billy? Are there any references on crown-size counterfeits like this? Or
any "non US" counterfeits in general? I have a couple of non-US bogos, but
only because they were handy, looked cool and were "cheap". But I've never
really thought to learn more.

Nick
Old December 10th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In , on
12/09/2007
at 10:06 AM, said:

[...]

This coin was of course a contemporary counterfeit and interest in such
coins must be on the up if this price is anything to go by, I would have
expected a maximum of £30.

The biggest problem with counterfeit coins are real coins, usually Spanish
American dollars from around 1800 to 1810, with fake Scottish countermarks
that if genuine can turn a coin from being worth £15 to one worth perhaps
£2,000.

The only book on UK counterfeits that I'm aware of is The Counterfeit Coin
Story by Ken Peters, there are of course articles in the numismatic press
about collectable old contemporary counterfeits, and modern fakes that are
to be avoided like the plague of course. Normally the contemporary
counterfeits that are crown size are easy to recognise as some of the silver
plating has by now worn off. Billy

Astounding counterfeit price. note.boy Coins 1 January 24th 07 11:35 PM
A high price. note.boy Coins 4 September 10th 06 09:42 PM
High tech gadget spots counterfeit coins stonej Coins 4 August 2nd 05 05:02 AM
Japan goes high-tech to try and stop counterfeit currency John Stone Paper Money 1 October 29th 04 07:18 PM
Price too high note.boy Coins 2 March 17th 04 02:08 AM