Map Reading: flu ?

Old May 30th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Map Reading: flu ?

I am currently reading the life story of Richard Hakluyt
and the Roanoke and Virginia voyages.
The cover Map (Chesapeak Bay detail 1624) by Captain John Smith shows what
are
undoubtedly rivers, but he has them as "flu's"
Someone in this forum is a map aficionado IIRC, and may
offer some background info please on this term?

Thanks

Old May 30th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Possibly from the word effluent. Effluent
is an outflowing of water from a natural body
of water, or from a man-made structure.

Otherwise it is possibly from the French
word "fleuve". (as opposed to rivière)

The word fleuve means a large river, which
runs to the ocean or sea. There is no word
in English that distinguishes this type of a
river from others, and thus is appropriately
translated by river.

2003 - Canada - Fleuve Yukon - Yukon River stamp.
http://www.lino.com/~marcelg/fleyukon.htm

2003 - Canada - Fleuve Fraser - Fraser River stamp.
http://www.lino.com/~marcelg/flefrase.htm

2000 - Slovakia - Pont sur le fleuve Hormad -
Bridge on the Hormad river
http://www.phila-mail.com/philastore.../SLVA00118.jpg

2002 - Russia - 300ème Anniversaire de
Saint Pétersbourg - Vue de St Pierre et
de la Forteresse de Paul, et du Fleuve Neva --
300th Anniversary of St Petersburg as seen
from from the Peter and Paul fortress and the Neva river.
http://www.wnsstamps.ch/stamps/RU028...8.02-full.jpeg

Blair

Old May 30th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rod

Old maps were invariably written in Latin - thus fl. is a shortening of
Flumen - Latin for river.

All the best

Robert

Old May 31st 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Thank you gentlemen,
both replies seem appropriate,
my personal guess had been a derivative of "effluent".
The only arbiter must be the map maker,
otherwise I would tend to lean a little Blair's direction,
In Richard Hakluyt's corresspondence to both Queen Elizabeth and
Sir Walter Raleigh, his propaganda message was to occupy
the Northern land mass as soon as possible, the French had been
busy naming headlands, rivers, capes etc, and he felt without
a prompt voyage with Royal backing, the Virginia area may have been lost
together with all that it seemed to offer, ergo French influence must have
carried down to the map maker. Latin is not in evidence in the rest of the
map.
For a bo-peep
http://cjoint.com/data/fFdRSwpAeX.htm

Old May 31st 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rod a écrit :

........................ergo French influence
must have carried down to the map maker. Latin is not in evidence in
the rest of the map.
For a bo-peep
http://cjoint.com/data/fFdRSwpAeX.htm

Rod,

That seems right : one can read :
- in the center of the map : "Ceader Ile" [Ceader Island] unless it is
"Ceader Fle" an abbreviation of Fleuve ???
I am uncertain of this 1st letter I or F ???
-also on the left : "Sharpes Ile"

On the two large estuaries Powhatan & Pamaunk, "flu" is followed by the
sign ":" meaning an abbreviation ???

But I also like Robert's explanation : latin - especially in Science -
was / is still used as a common language in many cases (like now in
botanic sciences).

HTH

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old May 31st 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

G'day Pierre,
so are you "sitting on the fence" like me?
a few comments:

Yes Ceader (cedar) Isle, referring to those tiny islets

- in the center of the map : "Ceader Ile" [Ceader Island] unless it is
"Ceader Fle" an abbreviation of Fleuve ???
I am uncertain of this 1st letter I or F ???
-also on the left : "Sharpes Ile"

On the two large estuaries Powhatan & Pamaunk, "flu" is followed by the
sign ":" meaning an abbreviation ???

Yes I noted that, the horiz punctuations mean abbrev, but for what

But I also like Robert's explanation : latin - especially in Science -
was / is still used as a common language in many cases (like now in
botanic sciences).

Me too! seems logical, but logic sometimes bites us on the snout!

Old May 31st 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

I think I have the definitive answer, and I think it proves that I am
right. The original 1612 map was in Latin - see link showing
interactive colour copy describing "Nova Virginiae Tabula" - A new map
of Virginia. All the inscriptions are in Latin. When translated into
English it is likely that only the language in the Cartouches was
altered leaving "Flu" for Flumen. I hope that this is QED.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

I KNOW THE LINK IS LONG BUT IT IS WORTH IT!

Robert

Old May 31st 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

G'day Robert,
thanks, I've only had a short browse prior to writing this,
your argument looks good

Unlike the speed at which the universe is expanding, I find the older I get
the more that history seems to shrink, once, I could not contemplate
so far back into time such as to the 14th century, but now it feels
just a moment ago.
I notice with delight on that map, John White's sketch of the Indian Queen,
it was only yesterday I was absolutely lost in imagination, looking through
his portfolio on line, that particular sketch should also show her
8-10 year old daughter, clutching in her hand a puritan-like European Doll!
(trinkets for the natives indeed)
I can also link then, this sketch and its link to William Strachey, (his
account
of the Virginia voyage of 1609) to one William Shakepeare,
whose drama "The Tempest" was drawn from.
(I tried unsuccesfully to read this last year).

Cheers and regards.

"derbyboi" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think I have the definitive answer, and I think it proves that I am
right. The original 1612 map was in Latin - see link showing
interactive colour copy describing "Nova Virginiae Tabula" - A new map
of Virginia. All the inscriptions are in Latin. When translated into
English it is likely that only the language in the Cartouches was
altered leaving "Flu" for Flumen. I hope that this is QED.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...g/chesapeakeba
y/colonial/map/map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mariner.org/chesapeakebay/coloni
al/col009.html&h=216&w=250&sz=12&tbnid=o-gQFCFl8xJiiM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=106&hl=e
n&start=12&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohn%2Bsmith%2Bmap%2Bchesapeake%2Bbay %2B%26svn
um%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Old May 31st 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Pierre COURTIADE wrote:
Rod a écrit :

[...]

Pier

It is Ceader Ile.(island).
Notice that the Fs in Flu are crossed half way down.

Cedar Island, Virginia.
http://www.cedarislandva.com/cedarisland.html
http://www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/gall...10&id=DSC02404

Blair

Old June 1st 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Blair (TC) a écrit :

Pier

It is Ceader Ile.(island).
Notice that the Fs in Flu are crossed half way down.

Cedar Island, Virginia.
http://www.cedarislandva.com/cedarisland.html
http://www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/gall...10&id=DSC02404

Blair