When to soak a stamp~further

Old January 5th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default When to soak a stamp~further

Goodness gracious Blair
delving further into the bizarre,
I am, at this moment, looking at an embossed revenue from GB
for the value of "One million pounds" (1893)
I'll be googling for a new Philatelic addition to my lexicon
"escutcheoning"

Rodney:
If you think THAT is expensive, look at these rates.
TransAtlantic Telegraph Rates
Printed Circular No. 6
The American Telegraph Company
Halifax, Nova Scotia, 4th Aug. 1866
COUNTRIES First20 words Each additional word or less
To Great Britain
and Ireland $100.00 (50 pounds) $5.00 (1 pound)
To other parts
of Europe $105.00 $5.25
To Africa, Asia,
and India $125.00 $6.25
Remember those are 1866 dollars and pounds)
Blair

Old January 5th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
I am, at this moment, looking at an embossed revenue from GB
for the value of "One million pounds" (1893)
I'll be googling for a new Philatelic addition to my lexicon
"escutcheoning"

An escutcheon is the term used in heraldry for the
shield displayed in a coat of arms.

An escutcheon is also an item of door furniture.
In this case, it is an architectural item that surrounds
a keyhole or lock cylinder. Escutcheons are mainly
decorative; they draw the eye to the keyhole, but
some help to protect a lock cylinder from drilling, snapping etc.

An escutcheon is also used in bathroom plumbing.
It is the chrome plate behind a knob on a shower's
temperature and water flow control.

In the German army under the Nazi regime, military
awards worn on the sleeve near the shoulder were
also called escutcheon or shields.

On ships, the escutcheon is the name plate on
the rear of the vessel.

Military escutcheon, a chromolithography depicting
the military record of a veteran, which were produced
in the United States from the end of the Civil War
until about 1907.

Blair

Old January 5th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Just an aside as far as Britain used in Ireland is concerned.
Carrickfergus is in fact in Northern Ireland, and hence in the UK ( see
1953 2/6 value Carrickfergus Castle). Techically speaking ( if not
politically correct - at least across the Irish Sea), a collection of
Britain used in Ireland should be of places currently in the Irish
Republic prior to 1922, and not the 6 counties of
Antrim,Armagh,Londonderry,Belfast,Down - and I forget the other.

Also to be technically correct Northern Ireland should not be referred
to as Ulster, as 2 of the counties of the original province of Ulster
were included in the Irish Republic.
Malcolm

Old January 6th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Blair, a "blanket" thank you with all your assistance
over many posts.
I remain unconvinced with "escutcheoning",
I felt it had something to do with imprinting Vellum.

Perhaps it means imprinting the Queen's image on Vellum.
Have you ever come across a stamp, Revenue or otherwise, on Vellum?
Cheers.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 6th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
Blair, a "blanket" thank you with all your assistance
over many posts.
I remain unconvinced with "escutcheoning",
I felt it had something to do with imprinting Vellum.

Perhaps it means imprinting the Queen's image on Vellum.
Have you ever come across a stamp, Revenue or otherwise, on Vellum?
Cheers.

Rodney:

"Escutcheoning" was a method to ensure that revenue
stamps did not detach from vellum / parchment documents.

Colonial Proofs: De La Rue Colonial Proofs: 1901 (Oct.)
"REPORT/UPON/STAMPING OF DOCUMENTS", a four page
confidential document on the recommended system of affixing
revenues to parchment documents - "ADHESIVE STAMPS,
which may adhere firmly for a lengthened period, are
nevertheless liable in course of years to become detached,
owing to the greasy matter which exudes from the parchment."
The last page shows perf. 14 "IMPERIUM" 6d. in dull lilac and
carmine affixed over escutcheon and tied by imitation red
embossed seal, together with escutcheon tying piece of
paper through page and photograph of escutcheoning knife.

=====================================

The embossed revenue stamps were on a seperate
piece of paper from the document. They were slit
twice with an escutcheoning knife and a (metal) band
passed through the two slits in the stamp (and the
parchment of course).

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag...denture93b.jpg

On the reverse side the ends of the band were folded
to secure it and they were then tied to the back of the
document with a paper seal bearing the monarch's insignia.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...?vvid=52194094

I believe the band was also known as an escutcheon.
The document front would look like this.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...19e-b3bb4&sp=0

Blair

Old January 7th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Aha, the penny drops.
thank you again.
You certainly wouldn't want your "One Million Pound"
revenue, falling off piece