Canada Perfin Revenues

Old May 30th 05, 10:57 AM
Blair (TC)

Default Canada Perfin Revenues

The practice of using perfins to protect company assets was not only
applicable to postage stamps.

Here we have a CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY cheque dated 1924, in
the amount of $1,134.42 (quite a chunk of money in 1924).
http://www.maresch.com/403/photos/a1345.JPG

The cheque bears fifteen Two-Leaf Excise stamps including :
thirteen 2=A2 (#FX36) and
two 10=A2 (#FX42)

for a total of 46=A2.

You will note that. although not too visible in the scan,
all the stamps have the 'CPR' PERFIN.

The larger perfin is a cancelation stamp.=20

Blair (TC)

Old May 30th 05, 12:00 PM
Douglas Myall

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...
The practice of using perfins to protect company assets was not only
applicable to postage stamps.

Here we have a CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY cheque dated 1924, in
the amount of $1,134.42 (quite a chunk of money in 1924).
http://www.maresch.com/403/photos/a1345.JPG

The cheque bears fifteen Two-Leaf Excise stamps including :
thirteen 2¢ (#FX36) and
two 10¢ (#FX42)

for a total of 46¢.

You will note that. although not too visible in the scan,
all the stamps have the 'CPR' PERFIN.

The larger perfin is a cancelation stamp.

Blair (TC)

As a matter of general interest, Joseph Sloper made machines to
perforate cheques 'PAID' before he extended the idea as a means of
protecting postage stamps from theft.

Douglas

Old May 30th 05, 08:11 PM

On 30 May 2005 02:57:13 -0700, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

The practice of using perfins to protect company assets was not only
applicable to postage stamps.

Here we have a CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY cheque dated 1924, in
the amount of $1,134.42 (quite a chunk of money in 1924).
http://www.maresch.com/403/photos/a1345.JPG

The cheque bears fifteen Two-Leaf Excise stamps including :
thirteen 2¢ (#FX36) and
two 10¢ (#FX42)

for a total of 46¢.

You will note that. although not too visible in the scan,
all the stamps have the 'CPR' PERFIN.

The larger perfin is a cancelation stamp.

Perfins on revenues was a common practice in Great Britain (before it
became UK). Many, many, many older revenues have been punched with
some very simple to extremely complex perfins.

One has to watch, though, about a true pre-use perfin as opposed to a
post-use perfin that was punched not by the company before usage but
by a worker at the time of usage.

Case in point - Belgian RR stamps. There are both true perfins before
they were affixed to the waybills and those that were punched by some
machine at the time of usage or even later down the line.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 30th 05, 08:19 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message

Perfins on revenues was a common practice in Great Britain (before it
became UK).

Tracy

I think we have been called the United Kingdom since some considerable time
before perfins were ever thought of.
:-)
Regards, Roger

Old May 30th 05, 08:41 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:19:34 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Perfins on revenues was a common practice in Great Britain (before it
became UK).

Tracy

I think we have been called the United Kingdom since some considerable time
before perfins were ever thought of.
:-)

Probably mostly by people who live there. Not until recent history,
has there been a shift in this "name-calling". :^P

But, I digress and have done a little homework to be more edumacated,
as us American rednecks must! Yee-haa!

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 30th 05, 08:58 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:19:34 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

Perfins on revenues was a common practice in Great Britain (before it
became UK).

Tracy

I think we have been called the United Kingdom since some considerable
time
before perfins were ever thought of.
:-)

Probably mostly by people who live there. Not until recent history,
has there been a shift in this "name-calling". :^P

But, I digress and have done a little homework to be more edumacated,
as us American rednecks must! Yee-haa!

Tracy

I regret to say that even here the terms are often (and usually incorrectly)
used interchangably - witness expressions such as "Team GB" in the sports
field.

Regards, Roger

Old May 30th 05, 10:49 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:58:13 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message

Perfins on revenues was a common practice in Great Britain (before it
became UK).

Tracy

I think we have been called the United Kingdom since some considerable
time
before perfins were ever thought of.
:-)

Probably mostly by people who live there. Not until recent history,
has there been a shift in this "name-calling". :^P

But, I digress and have done a little homework to be more edumacated,
as us American rednecks must! Yee-haa!

Tracy

I regret to say that even here the terms are often (and usually incorrectly)
used interchangably - witness expressions such as "Team GB" in the sports
field.

I know that I've been cautious not to write / type Great Britain on
any envelopes I mail out. They all have United Kingdom on them. Back
in the day, maybe even now, albums are printed with said name on the
pages and that's what many go up knowing.

I know one fellow in Scotland... if he receives a letter with anything
other than UK on it, it goes in the trash - irregardless of what it
is. A bit extreme, but I think he firmly believes!

Anyway, the world isn't totally PC - yet. :^) Time to mail out some
Freebie Stamps - wonder if any are going to the Isles?

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 30th 05, 11:31 PM
Blair (TC)

It is quite simple.

The Act of Union of 1806 created The United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Ireland (modified at the creation of
the Irish Republic to The United Kingdom of Great Britain
and Northern Ireland) says it quite precisely.

Great Britain is the island containing England, Wales and Scotland.

Add Ulster and you get the United Kingdom.

The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey etc) as well as
the Isle of Man do NOT form part of the United Kingdom.
They are Crown Dependencies.

Crown dependencies are possessions of the British Crown,
as opposed to overseas territories or colonies. They include
the Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey and the Isle of Man
in the Irish Sea. None forms a part of the United Kingdom,
being separate jurisdictions, nor do they form part of the
European Union, instead having associate member status.

Blair (TC)

Old May 31st 05, 10:54 AM
Douglas Myall

wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:58:13 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

major snip

I know one fellow in Scotland... if he receives a letter with

anything
other than UK on it, it goes in the trash - irregardless of what it
is. A bit extreme, but I think he firmly believes!

Strange that. Scotland has been part of Great Britain ever since GB
came into existence. I wonder why he insists on being associated with
Northern Ireland, the country which turns Great Britain into the
United Kingdom. Clearly, he is not a Scottish nationalist. (grin)

Douglas

Old May 31st 05, 11:20 AM
malcolm

Douglas

I think our friends" over the pond" are now completely bamboozled. Is
there any wonder that the inhabitants of these fair islands are
confused about their identity? I am English by birth but prefer to be
referred to as British first ( and Yorkshireman second - or is it the
other way round ), and English a long way third, Us from the North have
I think more in common with the "Celtic Fringe" than we have with the
effete South.!! Now you all in North America watch the fur and feathers
fly now!!!!
Regards from a Yorkshire exile in the rest of England!!!
Malcolm