Stamp collecting: is a bad image better than none?

Old February 4th 04, 06:20 PM
Peter D

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Bob Ingraham wrote:

snipped

Foul indeed! Thanks, Peter, for saying what I was thinking. I was

beginning
to think that freedom of speech had become the sole province of the
beautiful people. How embarrassing to think that some of the words that

have
been written in this thread are now enshrined "forever" in the Google

Groups
archive!

Bob Ingraham

Whoa there Bob, she's entitled to her opinion about stamp collectors and
I'm entitled to mine about her. A freedom of speech issue as you allude
to above. 'Nuff said.

First of all, yoo should realise that the woman who was the object of scorn
regaridng her looks may not even be the person who wrote the article that so
offended some.

Secondly, you should realise that attacking a person's looks, gender,
ethnicity, or any other matter not pertinent to the issue is a clear clue
that the attacker isn't able to refute the argument. IOW, attack the
argument by all means, but not the person.

For example, what if I responded to your comments by saying, "Stupid old
fart! What do you know?" or "Typical old person incapable of understanding
basic common sense"? Would that be a valid way to refute your argument? I
think not.

Old February 4th 04, 10:07 PM
Bob Ingraham

2/4/2004 6:57 AM

"Bob Ingraham" wrote:

Obviously I did not make myself clear. This is not a matter of
freedom of speech.

A person's appearance has nothing at all to do with the validity
of his or her opinions. I don't understand why some members of
the group were compelled to comment on the woman's looks. If
she had been attractive, I doubt the comments would have been
made, nor should they have been. If she were male, or obviously
handicapped, I doubt the comments would have been made. I
would hope that r.c.s.d. is inclusive rather than sexist and
exclusionary.

Bob

Greetings Mr. Ingraham.
.
What if she is pictured on a postage stamp? Could we then discuss the
merits of her beauty?

You are free to choose!

Could a joint issue by Canada and Spanish North
Africa be appropriate?

Victor is free to choose! (Victor has proved, on his web site, that he is a
judge of female beauty as portrayed on stamps.)

Thank you for participating! Have a nice day!

Bob Ingraham

Old February 4th 04, 10:33 PM
Tracy Barber

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:07:43 GMT, Bob Ingraham
wrote:

2/4/2004 6:57 AM

"Bob Ingraham" wrote:

[...]

Does he get a prize?

Tracy Barber
Old February 4th 04, 11:56 PM
Mette

Tracy Barber wrote in message
- snip -

Does he get a prize?

No. He takes it.
Mette

Old February 5th 04, 04:44 AM
Dave

I investigated fully. Marian/Mariana Valverde is the person
repsonsible for both as she is credited as faculty of Univeristy of Toronto.
The link was to and article she wrote that was published through the
University of Manitoba, where she has guest lectured.
Pardon my ad hominum.
Linking stamp collecting and pornographic perversions, along with other
characteristics she sited in the original article is a stretch. She could,
if she wanted, make the same comparison to any other solitary collecting
interest and come to the same conclusion. The pronblem with those that have
found shelter in the ivy-covered halls of academia is once they are in
there, they seldom come out to sample life for themselves. Being cloistered
with their views is self-indulgent when they become accustomed to being
supported by others like themselves. They study things by reading books,
papers, documents and loose the experience of personal experience. In my
college days the professors who taught archeology and paleontology were so
different from other professors I had contact. They went out on digs and
experienced their interest first hand. The history professors read books
and such and when they left campus, they went to another campus to be
lectured on "discoveries" by others in books or documents they read. So it
was with the professor who castigated me on my report on the Viet Nam war,
where I served in combat for 17 months. His Viet Nam experience was from
books, pictures and documents. He had never even been out of the United
States, but was an "expert" never the less.
So our questions to Professor Valverde would be:
Have you ever collected stamps?
Is it not stamps, but collecting that is the link?
Or perhaps stamps is only an incidental link to your theory?
How many interviews to come to your conclusion?
Was the link to stamp collectors significant?
Do you prefer unhinged to hinged stamps? (trick question)

Everything else aside, it seems a general consensus of this group would
refute her very questionable theory of a link of stamp collecting to porn
addiction.
She is a very unattractive woman regardless, but I stray again.
Dave (do not care for porn)
"Peter D" [email protected] wrote in message
If the lady in the link is who wrote the original article. does anyone

have
any actual proof? I mean, here's a local woman who is being castigated and
having her looks criticized and she may not even be the proper object of
such foul displeaure.

FWIW, the article in the link is excellent. She makes a compelling case

for
government not to use broad brush strokes to deal with what some find
unpleasant regarding the moral choices of others. You know, the idea that

in
a democracy the State is equire dto act with restraint.

None of you had a clue who she is, do you? Sad. Really sad.

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Dave wrote:

The "esteemed" Mariana Valverde is unlikely to ever to looked at by

any
excessive viewers of Internet pornography. No wonder she is s girl

who
likes girls. View her esteemed visage at:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/la.../article2.html

Her theory is as unattractive as she is.

Ohhhhmuhgod! Thats a face only a mother could love. An ugly woman
who's never had a date and blames men for itVBG.

A cheer for her!

U!
G!
L!