Ebay note grading

Old April 14th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

Default Ebay note grading

I am currently acquiring a fairly large amount of Indonesian paper
money from Ebay. With some exceptions it is quite affordable, although
there are unfortunately some collectors with more money than sense
willing to pay huge amounts over the odds for the rare notes.

Apart from forgery, which is a major concern (certain notes are ALL
fake on ebay), the other problem is buying good quality notes, as
sellers sometimes do not disclose grade, and it can be difficult to
discern the quality of colour from the images shown.

Here is one note I recently purchased, a 1 July 1927 Netherlands
Indies 25 Gulden for $20

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180228816008

This is is catalogued at $70 in XF, $14 in F, and $4.50 in G, so it
seemed like an OK buy.

The note is bright on its face, with a small dirt spot on the top left
of the border, a twice-folded top right corner, and minor dogears on
the other corners, a very small folded-over tear on the left (visible
in the photo). There is a hard centre crease that does not affect the
face. On the back, the note is much less attractive, possibly in part
because of its design. The central crease is suffering from heavy
rubbing with loss of the design in the crease area (this is less
noticeable in the picture but immediately so in handling)

How do I grade this? And how do I do so before buying?

I guess it is merely F grade, so it is not cheap at the price I paid.
Correct?

My main concern is that the notes I buy are bright and attractive.
Some of the 1950s Indonesian notes are quite beautiful.

For instance, the reverse of the 1952 100 rupiah has some colourful
birds and patterns:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_y8y_ZpVbpsk/...budayaan+6.JPG

(picture at top is genuine, bottom is counterfeit)

while the face is also quite nice: (again, the top note is genuine)

http://bp0.blogger.com/_y8y_ZpVbpsk/...budayaan+7.JPG

So when I see one on sale, I would like to add it to my collection.

But not if it does not retain its original beauty.

So how is one to judge something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indonesia-1952...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller does not give any grades for any of his notes, unless they
are UNC, merely saying that it is circulated. In this case there is
only one side of the note shown.

What grade would you say that it is? Disregarding the price is it a
nice piece? It is quite hard to tell from small pictures made from
scanners that do not necessarily reproduce colour accurately anyway.

It is quite hard to buy things when sellers do not describe them. I
would be surprised if anyone would pay $250 for this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indonesia-1957...QQcmdZViewItem

without any statement on the condition (slight dirt I can see, but are
there folds, or is that a security thread I see?).
Old April 14th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

At least if it has some folds it's not been ironed, hopefully.

I would be wary of buying form some who sells a lot of notes, this seller
doesn't, but claims to be unable to grade them, they may be hoping that
bidders that think a note looks EF on the scan, for example, will bid
accordingly. I would also hold back if only one side of the note is shown.

The main thing is do not buy from an ebay seller who's older notes are all
"high grade" as there is just one way of having no lower grade old notes to
sell.

We all take a gamble from time to time just don't make a habit of it. :-)
Billy

Old April 14th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Andrew

Hello
My practice with notes that have not been graded by the seller is to ask for
a large scan of both sides of the banknote
If they do not send the scan I do not bid.

Also pay attention to the corners of the banknote they usually show the
first signs of handling.

Regards
Andrew

Old April 14th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

I agree that it's suspicious if a seller claims not to know how to grade a
note. It's not as if the criteria isn't well documented:

http://www.owenink.com/banknotes/grading.html

Personally, I would never buy from a dealer who refused to assign a grade to
a note and be willing to back it up with a money-back guarantee.

On 4/14/08 8:52 AM, in article ,
"note.boy" wrote:

[...]

http://bp3.blogger.com/_y8y_ZpVbpsk/...7UTE8Zs4/s1600
-h/Kebudayaan+6.JPG

(picture at top is genuine, bottom is counterfeit)

while the face is also quite nice: (again, the top note is genuine)

http://bp0.blogger.com/_y8y_ZpVbpsk/...yaA8TqCI/s1600
-h/Kebudayaan+7.JPG

So when I see one on sale, I would like to add it to my collection.

But not if it does not retain its original beauty.

So how is one to judge something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indonesia-1952...temZ1902108138
77QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

The seller does not give any grades for any of his notes, unless they
are UNC, merely saying that it is circulated. In this case there is
only one side of the note shown.

What grade would you say that it is? Disregarding the price is it a
nice piece? It is quite hard to tell from small pictures made from
scanners that do not necessarily reproduce colour accurately anyway.

It is quite hard to buy things when sellers do not describe them. I
would be surprised if anyone would pay $250 for this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indonesia-1957...l-Serial-5_W0Q

QitemZ190208293535QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4369QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte

Old April 15th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Tommy Hillbilly

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
Hello
My practice with notes that have not been graded by the seller is to ask
for
a large scan of both sides of the banknote
If they do not send the scan I do not bid.

Also pay attention to the corners of the banknote they usually show the
first signs of handling.

Regards
Andrew

Always without fail ask to see the reverse of the note, most often folds are
performed by folding in the face of the note, and the paper on the reverse
is creased or even broken by the fold. From my collecting experience with
European notes, I notice that most of the problem notes seem to come out of
France, or Britain, regardless of where the notes originated ie Portugal
etc.

Old April 15th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Buying a note that's been "improved" is the biggest danger on ebay, I love
to see signs of handling on a note, a few creases are OK by me also. Billy

Old April 16th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

On 15 Apr, 19:27, "note.boy" wrote:
Can you email that link to every note seller on eBay, thanks. *:-) *Billy

This guy could use it

70,000 feedback selling money and claims not to be able to grade stuff.
Old April 16th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

On 16 Apr, 00:37, Matthew Brealey wrote:
On 15 Apr, 19:27, "note.boy" wrote:

Can you email that link to every note seller on eBay, thanks. *:-) *Billy

This guy could use it

70,000 feedback selling money and claims not to be able to grade stuff.

Actually, this is probably a better example:

Old April 16th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

It's simply impossible to accurately grade a note based upon scans, no
matter how detailed. It's a complete cop out when a seller who often sells
notes claims to be unable to grade a note. Either the seller is lazy or has
something to hide.

On 4/15/08 4:39 PM, in article
, "Matthew

On 15 Apr, 19:27, "note.boy" wrote:

Can you email that link to every note seller on eBay, thanks. *:-) *Billy

This guy could use it

70,000 feedback selling money and claims not to be able to grade stuff.

Actually, this is probably a better example:

Market grading vs. Technical Grading.....the answer to my coin grading question Ira Stein Coins 10 July 26th 05 08:38 PM
Grading on eBay Gene Paper Money 5 January 11th 05 09:49 PM
Ebay Grading KLH Coins 3 August 25th 04 12:42 AM
A grading challenge on eBay Bob Peterson Coins 4 February 9th 04 05:11 PM
Grading on eBay.. JEEEEZZZ! Gene Mack Paper Money 8 July 21st 03 09:19 PM