In God We Trust Motto

Old December 29th 05, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Default In God We Trust Motto

I am trying to find out the date when the change of "no motto" to
"motto" on the series 1935G Silver certificate, took place. We all know
that 1935G series was printed between Jan. 30, 1961 and April 13, 1962.
We also know that a "with motto" bill is worth about 4 times that of a
"no motto" bill. My guess is that the change occurred around Jan. 1,
1962. However this is just a guess. Does anyone know specific dates?
Thank-You.

Old December 30th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

In article .com, "ralphy"
wrote:

I am trying to find out the date when the change of "no motto" to
"motto" on the series 1935G Silver certificate, took place. We all know
that 1935G series was printed between Jan. 30, 1961 and April 13, 1962.
We also know that a "with motto" bill is worth about 4 times that of a
"no motto" bill. My guess is that the change occurred around Jan. 1,
1962. However this is just a guess. Does anyone know specific dates?
Thank-You.

According to Oakes and Schwartz in their "Standard Guide to
Small-Size U. S. Paper Money 1928 to date" ...

"A law passed by the 84th Congress and approved by the President
on July 11, 1955, provides that 'In God We Trust' shall appear
on all United States paper currency and coins. One-dollar bills
bearing the inscription were first made available to the public
at most of the country's banks on Oct. 1, 1957."

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old December 30th 05, 08:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:23:39 -0800, Ken Barr wrote:

In article .com, "ralphy"
wrote:

I am trying to find out the date when the change of "no motto" to
"motto" on the series 1935G Silver certificate, took place. We all know
that 1935G series was printed between Jan. 30, 1961 and April 13, 1962.
We also know that a "with motto" bill is worth about 4 times that of a
"no motto" bill. My guess is that the change occurred around Jan. 1,
1962. However this is just a guess. Does anyone know specific dates?
Thank-You.

According to Oakes and Schwartz in their "Standard Guide to
Small-Size U. S. Paper Money 1928 to date" ...

"A law passed by the 84th Congress and approved by the President
on July 11, 1955, provides that 'In God We Trust' shall appear
on all United States paper currency and coins. One-dollar bills
bearing the inscription were first made available to the public
at most of the country's banks on Oct. 1, 1957."

Interesting. So they released the Series 1957's in '57, while they
continued to print 1935E's, which didn't have the motto. They then
started to print 35F's, which also didn't have it. Once they started
printing the '35G's in 1961, they waited nearly a year to add the
motto.

What I can't figure out is why it took them 4 1/2 years to do the
changeover on the 35's. I can understand having a backlog of "no
motto" back plates you want to use up, but that many years is an awful
lot of 18 subject plates to have had just lying around

And to answer the OP's question,
http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/s1935gs.html, 35G's with motto
were first delivered to the Treasury in April 1962.

take care,
Scott

Old December 30th 05, 02:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Thanks Scott, I've never found that site before.
Ralphy

Old January 2nd 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

On 30 Dec 2005 06:30:38 -0800, "ralphy" wrote:

Thanks Scott, I've never found that site before.
Ralphy

Glad to help. When you get the time, browse around. The guy's got
an amazing amount of data.

take care,
Scott