Bank wrapped rolls

Old August 8th 03, 02:04 AM
Bill Krummel

Default Bank wrapped rolls

The recent thread (today, I believe) on bank wrapped rolls reminded me of
something to pass along. Many already know this, some may not. Several
years ago, I sold some bank rolls of Delaware quarters for my accountant.
When he brought them to me, they were in orange shotgun rolls, but most were
heads/heads or tails/tails. I said drat, it is better if and when the rolls
are heads/tails. He said, no problem and took the rolls back to the bank,
where they were rerolled, by machine, with care taken to have the ends
showing h/t. Returning the rolls to me, they looked the same as before,
except now they showed h/t end pieces.

The point is, what is touted as bank rolled coins is meaningless, or at
least could be meaningless. If my accountant could do what he did, others
may be able to have a bank friend machine roll circulated coins sandwiched
by two uncirculated end pieces. I am sure that most rolls sold are
unmanipulated, but keep it in mind that some banks machine roll coins, and
it is possible to get rolls that are machine rolled to specifications. Bill

Old August 8th 03, 01:51 PM
BAJJERFAN

"Peter T Davis" wrote in message news:voFYa.93521$YN5.67848@sccrnsc01...
I never really understood why the heads/tails rolls sold for a premium
anyway. As if the coins were any different.
Peter Davis
http:/www.cointalk.org

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message
[...]

The head-tail orientation allows one to easily identify the coins in
the roll without opening it, writing on it or otherwise sacrificing
the integrity of the roll. On the assumption that most folks are
honest this makes things easy for those who choose to collect or amass
SQ rolls.
Old August 8th 03, 03:04 PM
AnswerMan2

The "integrity" of a paper wrapped roll is a bunch of crap. You are buying a
pig in a poke for one and two, a paper roll ranks as one of the worst storage
media for coins, right down with albums and cloth bags. By supporting the
"unopened" market you are inviting the con-people to come in and take you to
the cleaners. The rule here is to ALWAYS examine both sides and the edge of any
and every coin you buy. You can't get at the edges in proof set cases or slabs,
but do the best you can.
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan
Old August 8th 03, 03:13 PM
J. A. McNerney

BAJJERFAN wrote:

[...]

The only thing that the head-tail orientation shows is that the coins at the ends of the roll are state quarters, nothing more.

JAM
Old August 8th 03, 05:36 PM
WinWinscenario

It's true that there is no 100% certainty about the contents of a bank-wrapped
roll in terms of the type of quarters inside.

But my experience has been that rolls from a bank are almost always what they
are purported to be. And the risk of loss is virtually zero--even a roll of
"used" quarters, if such a thing could happen, is worth exactly what you paid.

This observation makes a sharp distinction between rolls bought directly from
banks and rolls bought from secondary sellers. In the first case, the risk
seems insignificant if the bank is one you deal with regularly. In the second
place, you are paying a premium and are relying on the integrity of the seller,
a much riskier proposition.

Regards,
Tom
Old August 8th 03, 07:22 PM
J. A. McNerney

AnswerMan2 wrote:

The "integrity" of a paper wrapped roll is a bunch of crap. You are buying a
pig in a poke for one and two, a paper roll ranks as one of the worst storage
media for coins, right down with albums and cloth bags. By supporting the
"unopened" market you are inviting the con-people to come in and take you to
the cleaners. The rule here is to ALWAYS examine both sides and the edge of any
and every coin you buy. You can't get at the edges in proof set cases or slabs,
but do the best you can.
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan

Wise advice from Alan. You would do well to head it.

JAM
Old August 9th 03, 06:01 AM
Scott Drummond

"BAJJERFAN" wrote...

The head-tail orientation allows one to easily identify the coins in
the roll without opening it, writing on it or otherwise sacrificing
the integrity of the roll. On the assumption that most folks are
honest this makes things easy for those who choose to collect or amass
SQ rolls.

Although I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else what to collect, I've got
to admit I've never understood the attraction of an "unopened" roll or proof
set. Or of a "mint state" box or envelope or wrapper. Or even a misprinted
COA. Personally, I prefer to collect coins. Different strokes, and all that,
I suppose...

Old August 9th 03, 05:25 PM
WinWinscenario

I've got
to admit I've never understood the attraction of an "unopened" roll or proof
set.

I believe it is the same impulse that motivates people to go to Las Vegas or
buy lottery tickets.

There's always a chance, objectively remote but subjectively attainable, that
you'll find a valuable mint error or a
valuable variety. You're not opening a
mint set, you're opening a Christmas
present, excited about what you will find.

Regards,
Tom
Old August 11th 03, 02:56 PM
J. A. McNerney

Scott Drummond wrote:

"BAJJERFAN" wrote...

The head-tail orientation allows one to easily identify the coins in
the roll without opening it, writing on it or otherwise sacrificing
the integrity of the roll. On the assumption that most folks are
honest this makes things easy for those who choose to collect or amass
SQ rolls.

Although I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else what to collect, I've got
to admit I've never understood the attraction of an "unopened" roll or proof
set. Or of a "mint state" box or envelope or wrapper. Or even a misprinted
COA. Personally, I prefer to collect coins. Different strokes, and all that,
I suppose...

This fad is just an overflow from beanie babies, cabbage patch dolls, star wars figures and barbbie dolls.

JAM

What Does "Bank Wrapped BU Roll Of Nickels" Mean To You? MIckey Coins 4 August 7th 03 10:40 PM
Any interest in Fed Wrapped State Quarter Rolls? Linda Coins 0 July 29th 03 03:37 AM
SQ Rolls - HF String Orange/White question Ron Coins 0 July 13th 03 05:52 AM
Found in Rolls... Steve Coins 2 July 12th 03 11:47 PM
Who's at fault for wasting my time tonight? I checked ROLLS of nickels tonight.... Ron Coins 4 July 10th 03 09:51 PM