Sharpie Color Question

Old March 5th 09, 11:45 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Bob

Default Sharpie Color Question

I have two identical photos of the same actor, one signed in blue
sharpie, one in black, which will hold up better over time. I want to
know because I'm going to list the other in Autographworld's Signature
Piece auction.

Thanks,
Bob
Old March 5th 09, 05:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

I think both will last many years after we are dead so it doesn't
matter (if stored correctly by the owner). It might be more a matter
of personal preference.... I think most go for black. I prefer black;
but doesn't matter all that much.

Old March 6th 09, 09:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

Hey Jacka$$, this may come as a surprise but there is more then one
Bob in the world....Just cause I stuck up for them in one email
doesn't make me Bob Jones.

BY the way davinci or whoever you are this week, your mom's calling
you for dinner....
Old March 6th 09, 09:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

Thanks Sue. I have had discussions with people who say black holds up
better but not sure if there is truth to it or just if its a
preference. Personally I like Silver sharpies..........

Old March 6th 09, 05:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Remember back in the past they used to have problems with black (it'd
turn yellow in spots and lighten). I think they've come a long way
though with their formula. I know people who've had things even with
the old stuff that is still holding up after 20 plus years. Other
than the odd few collectors, most don't even think as responsible as
you!

Old March 6th 09, 10:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
pe2[_8_]

I prefer blue.

It really looks nice. I have Def Leppard from an in person circa 1992, on a
magazine centerfold. The autographs still look like they were signed
yesterday by the band. no discoloration, and no wear on the mag. They still
look great after 17 years!

Yes-black has changed in recent years. I rely on it more now that i did 20
years ago. back then, black "Halo'd Yellow" after a year of sitting in the
dark! (I.E index cards).

Happy Hunting-
pe2

Old March 7th 09, 02:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Koolmagic114

I myself prefer blue sharpie. AsS I seen Sue had mentioned in a
previous e-mail Black (after about 7 years or so) sometimes the black
tended to give a yellowish ring around the black ink.

Of course I have lots of black sharpie items signed in my own personal
collection, and all though I store my items in all archival safe
products and keep them out of direct sun light I Have only had 1 photo
get this yellowish ring.

It was an items I had for sale..a Jasmine Guy.. Not sure what kind of
a difference it made but it was not a glossy photo either. As it was
one of those card stock photos.

Nice to still see a lot fo familiar names in here... and on another
note.. sad to see people still blasting others in a hobby we should
all get along together in and help one another.

Ed Bedrick
Member of the U.A.C.C.
U.A.C.C. Registered Dealer #049
Former U.A.C.C. Regional Director (Region #1)
http://www.edbedrickautographs.com
Old March 7th 09, 03:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Ed, I wonder... if a photo and what quality it is might affect a
sharpie?

I remember printing one off a PC to have Debbie Dunning sign in
person. It was hot outside and when she touched the marker to the
photo, the ink MELTED!

I know there are different kinds of paper, ink, processes... it could
be a reaction with the pen used if the writing lasts longer or not. I
don't know but it's worth thinking about.

Old August 18th 09, 09:12 AM
alvin ralph alvin ralph is offline
Junior Member

Location: U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I have two identical photos of the same actor, one signed in blue
sharpie, one in black, which will hold up better over time. I want to
know because I'm going to list the other in Autographworld's Signature
Piece auction.

Thanks,
Bob
See signed color is depend on the color of background of picture as well for better you have to show us the photos first, after that we will answer you more appropriate, like which will hold up better.........