Commemerative coin question

Old February 3rd 05, 02:13 PM
Eric Babula

"Russ" wrote in
:

The proofs are different than uncs, they are "S" mint marked. The
commems are the same coin.

Ya got me there, Russ. I guess, in this case, that doesn't really
matter to me. But, to each his own.

With my older coins, I do collect all mint marks. For some reason, it
just doesn't seem to matter to me with my State Quarters collection.
I'll be happy with just the Proof Sets.

However, if anyone wants to give me any 2004-D Wisconsin Quarters that
have never been checked for the varieties, I'd be happy to accept them!
LOL!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old February 3rd 05, 04:54 PM
Jerry Dennis

Bottom line, whatever floats your boat.

My own collection consists primarily of proofs, just because I like them. I
also have some uncircs, just because. :-)

I'm in agreement with all of the others... it's your collection.

Jerry

"Russell" asks:

A lot of the new issues have the same coin, same mint mark, but one unc
and one proof. Do you guys think both are need for a collection, or
just one example?

Just wondering what the group thinks.

Russ

Old February 3rd 05, 07:29 PM
A You

Alot of the new issues have the same coin, same mint mark, but one unc
and one proof. Do you guys think both are need for a collection, or
just one example?

I would concentrate on the proofs because they are the more specialized item
and thus a higher collectible value. If fact I have read comments here about
historical appreciation of silver proofs...

Also, why not have twenty or more proofs of the same item...you know like
Goldfinger ?

One problem is that the proofs will show imperfections that are either on
the coin or on the holder. And it seems to me that there were lots of
imperfections on the L&C proofs...

Old February 3rd 05, 10:32 PM
Bob Flaminio

Harv wrote:
The recent 2003 "First Flight" Wright
Brothers added a $10.00 Gold, to the two types of Dollars, but no
Half.

Beg pardon, but the First Flight series did have a half dollar, along
with one dollar and $10.

--
Bob

Old February 3rd 05, 10:34 PM
Bob Flaminio

A You wrote:
Alot of the new issues have the same coin, same mint mark, but one
unc and one proof. Do you guys think both are need for a collection,
or just one example?

I would concentrate on the proofs because they are the more
specialized item and thus a higher collectible value. If fact I have
read comments here about historical appreciation of silver proofs...

Actually, for modern commems it's rather the opposite. The Uncs
generally have the higher collectible value. Proofs are all shiny and
pretty, and generally sell in much higher quantities than the Uncs.
Compare the open market prices of Uncs and Proofs and almost invariably
you'll find the Uncs selling for more than the Proofs.

--
Bob

Old February 3rd 05, 10:36 PM
Bob Flaminio

Russell wrote:
Alot of the new issues have the same coin, same mint mark, but one unc
and one proof. Do you guys think both are need for a collection, or
just one example?

It's up to you. Right now I'm putting together an Uncirculated modern
commem set (no proofs). I'm nine coins away from completion. Assuming
that I do complete it, a logical next step would be to pick up all the
proofs. I already have a proof 1982-S Washington Half, but that's rather
my signature coin, and acquiring one was mandatory.

--
Bob

Old February 4th 05, 03:27 AM
Bob Flaminio

Ron wrote:
Russell wrote:
Alot of the new issues have the same coin, same mint mark, but one
unc and one proof. Do you guys think both are need for a
collection, or just one example?

It's up to you. Right now I'm putting together an Uncirculated modern
commem set (no proofs). I'm nine coins away from completion. Assuming
that I do complete it, a logical next step would be to pick up all
the proofs. I already have a proof 1982-S Washington Half, but
that's rather my signature coin, and acquiring one was mandatory.

Just curious, are you buying the uncircs from the Mint as they come
out? Or waiting and buying aftermarket? What about the proofs? Not
bothering to pick up the proofs from the Mint, then work on the older
ones later?

Buying the Uncs from the mint, not bothering right now with the Proofs.
When I switch to Proof mode, I'll have to buy them both from the mint.

I'm working on modern proofs and uncircs at the same time. Picking up
both when new issues are released from the Mint, at the same time
trying to pick up older issues. I'll have both sets some day, but
will go twice as long as you before actually completing a set.

Not necessarily. My Unc needs are very specific -- they have to be in
ANACS MS69 holders. This restriction alone has made the task extra
difficult. Indeed, it was impossible to complete for a while, as the
1982-D Washington was unavailable in MS69 (pop 0). This oversight has
since been resolved, as I conspired with a dealer and made the first
(and so far, only) ANACS MS69 1982-D Washington Half.

--
Bob

Old February 4th 05, 04:02 AM
Ron

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:27:35 -0800, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

Ron wrote:
Russell wrote:
[...]

Mine is specific too, but maybe not quite as tough. NGC MS and PR69's
for me (except for a MS70 First Flight from my own submission). Might
be willing to sell it some day, buy a MS69 and keep the change. Keep
that matched set. I'm relatively new though when I look at how many
there are,,, a long ways to go.

Also, just to make it tougher, I'd like them all in the new
holders/labels.

Ron
(stickler for consistency)
Old February 4th 05, 05:06 AM
A You

Actually, for modern commems it's rather the opposite. The Uncs
generally have the higher collectible value. Proofs are all shiny and
pretty, and generally sell in much higher quantities than the Uncs.
Compare the open market prices of Uncs and Proofs and almost invariably
you'll find the Uncs selling for more than the Proofs.

Well, with the L&C coins there were 400,000 to be available (after special
promotions) and I think divided between uncirculated and proof just based on
orders. And there was a $4 difference in price between the uncirculated and
the proof...

But I think the proof had a delayed available-date more often during the
year then did the uncirculated and I think the proof became unavailable
before the uncirculated...

Old February 4th 05, 06:48 AM
Harv

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message

Not necessarily. My Unc needs are very specific -- they have to be in
ANACS MS69 holders. This restriction alone has made the task extra
difficult. Indeed, it was impossible to complete for a while, as the
1982-D Washington was unavailable in MS69 (pop 0). This oversight has
since been resolved, as I conspired with a dealer and made the first
(and so far, only) ANACS MS69 1982-D Washington Half.

--
Bob

Mister Population 1 of 1.. I still think that's rather remarkable.. not that
you'd ever sell it.. but what do you suppose it's worth??..

I guess if you wanted to find out, without actually selling it, and you felt
giddy enough to pay the Reserve fee, you could put it on eBay,
start it at a dollar with a $10,000.00 reserve or something, hype it up as 1
of 1, just to see how high it goes..

Harv