When does "misaligned die" become an indication of "doubled die"strike?

Old May 3rd 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default When does "misaligned die" become an indication of "doubled die"strike?

On May 3, 10:48 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Michael Benveniste wrote:
"Ken Barr" wrote:

The twentieth century overdated coins - the 1918/17-D and 1943/2
nickels, the 1942/1 and 1942/1-D dimes, and the 1918/17-S quarters
resulted from a similar process.

QUIZ TIME! Which twentieth century overdate coin did James omit from
the above list?

It's one that I always include, and people ALWAYS miss, when I
design a "Red Book Quiz" for a local coin club program ...

The 1909/8 $20 Gold?

I'll bet that's one of them! Isn't there a Liberty half eagle overdate as
well? I'm really pretty oblivious to those series.

James

I thank you for the info, James, Ken and Mike. I don't have that many
of any of these coins, being in a much lower economic strata than gold
coin collectors. My few are mostly from the late 1990's and early
2000's. Sigh.

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old May 4th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,

Michael Benveniste wrote:
"Ken Barr" wrote:

The twentieth century overdated coins - the 1918/17-D and 1943/2
nickels, the 1942/1 and 1942/1-D dimes, and the 1918/17-S quarters
resulted from a similar process.

QUIZ TIME! Which twentieth century overdate coin did James omit from
the above list?

It's one that I always include, and people ALWAYS miss, when I
design a "Red Book Quiz" for a local coin club program ...

The 1909/8 $20 Gold?

I'll bet that's one of them! Isn't there a Liberty half eagle overdate as
well? I'm really pretty oblivious to those series.

It's been a day since I posed the question, and nobody posted the second
one yet, so I guess I'd better pony it up myself:

1901/0-S $5.00 Liberty half eagle

Thanks to James, Michael and Jerry for playing, and for coming up with
the 1914/3 Boofalo nickel that I fergot about ...

At one time I thought I wanted to put together a set of all
then-six-known 20th century overdates, but never got around to it. I'm
not really all that interested in errors and varieties, it seems ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics email:
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old May 4th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Ken Barr" wrote:

At one time I thought I wanted to put together a set of all
then-six-known 20th century overdates, but never got around to it. I'm
not really all that interested in errors and varieties, it seems ...

The only U.S. overdate error I own is the 1809/6 half cent, which
arguably isn't an overdate at all. I do own a 1900 O/CC dollar,
though.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles