Mylar, storage and questions

Old June 7th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Mylar, storage and questions

Well since I am not sure which--Leaddog or Marcus-- I will be stopping at
the very store that I bought them from after work--they should have the

same
batch because I am pretty sure I'm just about the only guy who buys them
there.
But let me tell you--there was no way I was about to put anything in
those--they were reallly nasty smelling.

So anyhow I stopped by my local mom'n'pop hobby store and started taking
some deep whiffs of all kinds of coin stuff and this is what I found--
They did not have any coin holder pages that had the smell-- but they did
have some large currency pages made by Edgar Marcus--about every 3 out of 10
smelled really strong of that plastic smell--just like what a beach ball
smells like. I asked the store employee if he would put some rare paper
currency inside those that had the strong smell and he said he sure
wouldn't. I also smelled all of the other plastic pages I already have and I
have one H.E. Harris that has the smell and 2 Leaddogs with it and no Marcus
pages that smelled. Looks like it's just one of those things to be on the
lookout for. None of these smelled anywhere near as strong as the new ones
in the box at the store though so the new pages might just need to be kept
out alone for a few days to sort-of air out a bit. I also smelled some
Harris coin folders--those smelled just like new car smell. The rest of
their albums at the store were all shrink-wrapped so I could not get a wiff
of those. One really cheap-lookin SHQ map smelled like matches--so maybe
that would be a nice one to get some tone on the coins? They also have some
paper coin envelopes--no smell. All the plastic Whittman set holders did not
have any funny smells and neither did the 2x2 100% mylar flips.
Cointains--no smells whatsoever.
I seem to remember a previous thread about this kind of thing--like it would
make sense that some products like these might have a wrong mixture of
chemicals or something like that. I know if you had some paper currency and
they smelled like plastic you'd have a hard time selling them. I don't know
if it would hurt them appearance-wise but that stench could hurt the value
tremendously since you could not determine if a note was doctored if it
stank like plastic.

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
Newbie Questions Derek Coins 14 September 8th 03 02:22 AM
My first seeburg 100 C and boy, do I have questions. Bernie Juke Boxes 5 July 28th 03 04:22 AM
Poste Restante (was Questions) TC General Discussion 0 July 1st 03 06:02 AM