Proof coins or just for the gold content

Old December 2nd 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Proof coins or just for the gold content

DG wrote in
:

What have you seen comparing the price of the proof coins (maple
leafs, buffalos) vs the price of the uncirculated coins?

Which has been the better investment?

Do you think that will be the way of the future?

TIA...

the futures market for precious metals is always a crap shoot.
but it seems the current run ups are mostly due to the US dollar being
beaten down.

so, does that make gold an investment or a preversation of your spending
power.

no shortage of opinions on this, but remember the stuff we spend everyday
is currency, precious metals such as gold have always been considered
money.

I ran the numbers the other day, gold was up about 28% over a year ago.
so, does that 20 dollar bill in your wallet buy 28% more than it did a
year ago? it that sense, gold seems an investment.

aside from other shocks like hurricane katrina, the same amount of gold
buys about the same amount of gasoline it did a year ago. it that sense,
it seems like a preservation of spending power.

when gold prices go up, it seems the premium for modern common gold coins
shrinks against the spot price. when the market stabalizes, the premiums
return.

I get the newsletter from

http://www.cmi-gold-silver.com

they have a lot of good information and topics of thought, but remember,
they are gold bulls.

if they cannot scare you into investing in gold, they don't make money
today, so keep your eyes wide open when reading their information and
opinions.

10 years ago when gold traded sideways at $280 for a long time, I was
speaking to someone that told me high grade marijuana was about $300 an
ounce. I said WHAT? dope more expensive than gold? So I bought some, gold
that is, this last summer when it hit $725 an ounce, I sold it just
about all I had. the rush to break $700 was too hot not to cool off and
by putting that money on my mortgage, I was insured a 7% return for 23
years. it seems like it fell back to $575 quick and traded in that range
until the last break out.

Any bullion coins will generally sell at spot, whether US or Canadian.
Very few modern proof eagles ever break out in a substancial increase. I
have wondered what the 2006 one ounce proof eagle will do since the mint
stopped selling them early.

If anyone gives the guaranteed 100% correct answer for best future
investment they have gotten lucky.

these markets are moved by forces so far beyond the comprehension of
simple dogs like myself.

maxthelab ----- still scratching from Fleabay