#1849 Lippmann question

Old May 12th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ed

Default #1849 Lippmann question

I have a Walter Lippmann SC#1849, which isn't an imperf. pair, but
does have a significant amount of extra paper below the main design,
almost as if it was an imperf. pair with the bottom stamp cut off.
Does anyone know if this is also rare (and thus worth anything). The
imperf. pair is $2K!
Old May 12th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On May 12, 1:22 pm, Ed wrote:
I have a Walter Lippmann SC#1849, which isn't an imperf. pair, but
does have a significant amount of extra paper below the main design,
almost as if it was an imperf. pair with the bottom stamp cut off.
Does anyone know if this is also rare (and thus worth anything). The
imperf. pair is $2K!

Could you post a scan for us to see?

Blair

Old May 12th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ed

No scanner (need to definitely get one), but here's a crappy digital
camera picture. I put another stamp next to it so you can see the
size difference - seems to be one extra perforation on the sides
there.

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stampsve9.jpg

Old May 13th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

wrote:

On May 12, 1:22 pm, Ed wrote:
I have a Walter Lippmann SC#1849, which isn't an imperf. pair, but
does have a significant amount of extra paper below the main design,
almost as if it was an imperf. pair with the bottom stamp cut off.
Does anyone know if this is also rare (and thus worth anything). The
imperf. pair is $2K!

Could you post a scan for us to see?

Blair- Hide quoted text -

My area of expertise is not USA. However, from
the picture and my experience with other countries
stamps, it looks like it could be from the bottom row
of a booklet pane. Now, as far as I know, there
isn't a booklet pane of this stamp...
but I could be wrong.

Otherwise it could be from the bottom row of a sheet
with the bottom row of perfs missing. I have not heard
of any of these.

It certainly is a puzzle.

It also has been reported that printer's waste of some
values of the same series has come onto the market.

Sorry that I couldn't help further.

Blair

Old May 13th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ed

Well, I did some searching for pictures, and it might not be an error.
I was always under the assumption that a full sheet is always
surrounded by some selvage beyond the "final perforation", but
apparently not for all of those issues.

Here's a Lippmann sheet - looks like the bottom ones are like mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-STAMPS-WALTER... cmdZViewItem

Looks like some had not even a little extra margin. I also wondering
why I had a Thayer with no bottom perfs when it wasn't a booklet
stamp, and this explains it

Sylvanus Thayer sheet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-STAMPS-SYLVAN... cmdZViewItem

I must admit I would prefer to have one with perfs on all four edges
when "in theory" that's the only way it should appear. Not that that
should be any problem getting one. Kind of funny eBay is the best
source of many stamp questions...I searched forever for some IDs of
stamps from Japan and some British Isles, and only eBay had the
answers (after a hour or two of searching!)

Old May 13th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Here's a Lippmann sheet - looks like the bottom ones are like mine:http://cgi.ebay.com/US-STAMPS-WALTER...-SHEET-1985_W0...

Sylvanus Thayer sheet:http://cgi.ebay.com/US-STAMPS-SYLVAN...-SHEET-1985_W0...

I must admit I would prefer to have one with perfs on all four edges
when "in theory" that's the only way it should appear. Not that that
should be any problem getting one. Kind of funny eBay is the best
source of many stamp questions...I searched forever for some IDs of
stamps from Japan and some British Isles, and only eBay had the
answers (after a hour or two of searching!)

Ed:

That also explains the following.

Here is a pair of #1849a, 6c Lippmann, vertical pair, imperforate
between and at bottom, exceptionally well centered example of
this very rare error, of which only ten pairs are recorded, o.g.,
n.h.,
extremely fine; 1991 PF certificate. Sold for $1400.00

http://stampauctionnetwork.com/f/58/1511.jpg

The reason for only 10 pairs known is that they came from the
bottom two rows of one sheet that was missing one line of perfs
between row 9 and row 10. Because of the sheet format, the
bottom is also imperf.

Blair

PS : Here is a fully perfed stamp image.
http://www.arago.si.edu/index.asp?co...d=165712&img=1
http://www.arago.si.edu/media/000/029/255/29255_lg.jpg