"Vietnam Veterans Memorial" first day of issue by Fleetwood: worthless?

Old April 25th 05, 10:10 PM

Default "Vietnam Veterans Memorial" first day of issue by Fleetwood: worthless?

Pardon me: I'm not acquainted with the proper terminology for this
specialty and used in this group, so please pardon any misnomers.

I have several "Vietnam Veterans Memorial" first day of issue envelopes
[or are they called 'covers'] by Fleetwood. Actually, I have several
still sealed envelopes that each has two of the memorial envelopes
inside.) I have so many of them I presume they are not worth very much?

Thank you.

Christopher A. Steele

Old April 26th 05, 07:05 PM
expo4u

wrote in message
oups.com...
Pardon me: I'm not acquainted with the proper terminology for this
specialty and used in this group, so please pardon any misnomers.

I have several "Vietnam Veterans Memorial" first day of issue envelopes
[or are they called 'covers'] by Fleetwood. Actually, I have several
still sealed envelopes that each has two of the memorial envelopes
inside.) I have so many of them I presume they are not worth very much?

Thank you.

Christopher A. Steele

Can't say they are **worthless**.

Here are the factors that make a "collectable" worth a premium.

1. desireability
2. notoriaty
3. rarity

In 99.999999% of examples Fleetwood covers lack factors 2 and 3 entirely.

As far as desireability goes, they are most often only desireable to other
fleetwood collectors.

Now, who might they be desireable to? They might be desireable to a
collector who specializes in Vietnam Veteran material. This person has non
philatelic items primarily, and wou7ld add these covers to round out his
universe of related items. I have seen this happen with sports card
collectors frequently. They stumble into a stamp show ("I am not a stamp
collector") and then walk out with a large bag of goodies an hour later.

These usually are most constructively disposed of by donating to charitable
organizations.

Do not construe this in any way as putting down fleetwood or any other
collectable marketing organization. Any collection is worthwhile if the
collector derives joy from acquiring and displaying his/her collection. The
fact the collector may have failed to build an estate via the collection is
irrelevent. 99% of the material I hold in my collections is most valuable
as a potential source of heat.

chuck petterson

Old May 3rd 05, 06:43 PM

"...valuable as a potential source of heat." Cute Chuck

Thank you for the effort you made to answer my question. I'll have a
look see around for somewhere I might try and sell one or two. Again,
thanks for your time, Sir.

Christopher A. Steele

expo4u wrote:
oups.com...

Old May 4th 05, 01:42 AM
Tom Loepp

I rank the original Vietnam Veteran's cover up there with Smokey the
Bear, two of the most popular covers among the more recent (last 50
years) FDCs. Baseball is another good seller. I don't know if the
newest VVM cover will enjoy the popularity of the older one, though,
but probably will. Might have to wait awhile.
TL