"By Safe Hand"

Old July 31st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Default "By Safe Hand"

I have an official OHMS paid British War Economy cover which was posted
to the British Food Mission [to North America] in Washington,
presumably during the war although there are no dates to confirm that
and I don't have any literature which might indicate the period of use
of this particular cover. Aside from the fact that it fits my British
War Economy collection/exhibit, it was stamped "BY SAFE HAND" before it
was addressed. See an image at
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/bysafehand.jpg.

According to Wikipedia, such documents were sent by courier and not
through the postal system. I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that
the official paid envelope served for both postal and non-postal
(courier service) use.

Bob

Old July 31st 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Bobstamp wrote:
I have an official OHMS paid British War Economy cover which was posted
to the British Food Mission [to North America] in Washington,
presumably during the war although there are no dates to confirm that
and I don't have any literature which might indicate the period of use
of this particular cover. Aside from the fact that it fits my British
War Economy collection/exhibit, it was stamped "BY SAFE HAND" before it
was addressed. See an image at
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/bysafehand.jpg.

According to Wikipedia, such documents were sent by courier and not
through the postal system. I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that
the official paid envelope served for both postal and non-postal
(courier service) use.

Bob

British Food Mission

"Lend-lease deliveries of food during this period (WW2) were the
largest single category (of aid). They were valued at $290 millions
and represented nearly a third of the total of lend-lease aid.

In volume, they amounted to approximately one million tons-
about one-fifteenth of the total arrivals of food in Britain for 1941.
Their qualitative value was very high. In the first quarter of 1941,
British food consumption had fallen to a low level. Not much harm
was done at the time because the level had been high during 1940;
but, with many years of war still ahead, a great deal of harm
would have been done had not American help redressed the balance.

An advisory committee of nutritional experts was at this very time
drawing up plans for a 'basal diet' which was supposedly adequate
for a besieged country; when lend-lease came, the scientific
adviser of the Ministry of Food was able to make recommendations
for something less dispiriting. In April, a small but extremely
efficient
Food Mission (ie British Food Mission) went to America to translate
these recommendations into a programme concerted with the United
States Department of Agriculture.

One of the reasons why food was delivered so quickly under lend-lease
was that the United States Department of Agriculture planned and
actually bought for the United Kingdom before the lend-lease
appropriation was passed. The American foodstuffs delivered in the
following months were of high nutritional priority-the first welcome
packets of dried eggs, nearly 150,000 tons of evaporated milk, nearly
100,000 tons of lard, 80,000 tons each of dried beans and bacon,
50,000 tons of canned meat, 40,000 tons of cheese.

Meanwhile, American farmers were bending their backs to the task
of growing maize for conversion into bacon and canned pork, and
to the other tasks which the needs of Britain-competing, now, with
the needs of Russia-would challenge them to fulfil during 1942."

British War Economy - W.K.Hancock + M.M.Gowing pg 240

The "Official Paid" insignia was pre-printed on these covers
(ie NOT handstamped later). They could either be mailed postage
free OR sent by messenger (courier). This one probably went by
military courier due to its importance and classified nature.

Blair

Old August 1st 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

Blair (TC) wrote:

British Food Mission

Meanwhile, American farmers were bending their backs to the task
of growing maize for conversion into bacon and canned pork

I can't figure out this one. Perhaps they let the pigs do the work
of converting the corn into bacon ....

Ryan
Old August 1st 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Perhaps in swill for pigs,
the bacon and ham the prize cuts,
and the shoulder into canned pork (spam)
which was the K rations for the military.

Old August 2nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Many thanks to Blair. I don't know he does it, but I do appreciate it!
Once again, a "mundane" cover turns into something very interesting, at
least to me.

Bob

Old August 2nd 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Bobstamp wrote:
Many thanks to Blair. I don't know he does it, but I do appreciate it!
Once again, a "mundane" cover turns into something very interesting, at
least to me.

Bob

You are most welcome Bob. Maybe you should display
the cover along with a can of SPAM and a can of beans.

8*)

Imagine! 50,000 tons of beans. I thought gas warfare
was outlawed.

Blair

Old August 2nd 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Bobstamp wrote:
Many thanks to Blair. I don't know he does it, but I do appreciate it!
Once again, a "mundane" cover turns into something very interesting, at
least to me.

Bob

You are most welcome Bob. Maybe you should display
the cover along with a can of SPAM and a can of beans.

Imagine! 80,000 tons of beans. I thought gas warfare
was outlawed.

8*O

Blair

Is it safe to post your pen? Aaron Hsu Pens & Pencils 1 July 3rd 06 04:19 AM
Can one open almost anonymous safe deposit box? MFurman Coins 13 May 14th 06 02:31 AM
Safe Deposit Boxes Safe Willy P Coins 18 July 21st 05 03:08 AM
safe storage of old books dh Books 8 January 23rd 04 06:08 PM
Storing book in safe? Alan Lukka Books 7 November 5th 03 08:59 PM