Who here favors a circulating U.S. $2 Coin?

Old January 19th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

Default Who here favors a circulating U.S. $2 Coin?

On Jan 19, 9:44*am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
a couple
people paying for a bottle of shampoo and pack of cigarettes with their
credit cards. *

Out here ciggies are getting so expensive (due to fed/state/county/
local taxes) that you practically need to take out a 2nd mortgage to
by a carton of 'em.
Old January 19th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Bruce Remick wrote:
"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:13:13 -0800 (PST), shreadvector
wrote:

Could be done privately and distributed on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztI42jea0m0

I'd never seen that before. Neat, even if it doesn't show daily
commerce come to a crashing halt when some dingus whips out his wallet
full of plastic!

Padraic

Things do move slowly. Remember a decade or two ago when each credit card
purchase meant the clerk had to make a telephone call to verify you card and
balance? At least that part is pretty much automated now. It still can be
a annoying to be standing in line with exact change in hand behind a couple
people paying for a bottle of shampoo and pack of cigarettes with their
credit cards. And then the pen runs dry........ and the credit card reader
balks.........

I still remember those booklets with the list of bad card numbers that the CC
companies issued every couple of weeks.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old January 19th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

On Jan 19, 9:29*am, RF wrote:

Out here ciggies are getting so expensive (due to fed/state/county/
local taxes) that you practically need to take out a 2nd mortgage to
by a carton of 'em.

Nothing but good can come of that.

--
Stefano
Old January 21st 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coffee's For Closers

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:41:41 -0800, Coffee's For Closers
wrote:

I don't know how the US half-dollar can be popularised. Perhaps
the physical-size-to-value ratio works against it, and it seems
illogical.

Which is really strange, since it has exactly the same volume as two
quarters.

I really think what killed it was a combination of putting Kennedy
on it in 1964, plus vending machines not taking it (at least none that
I ever saw).

My mom worked in a bakery at the time, and she's told me that halves
were common up until the mid 60s. Further proof is that it's easy to
get late series Franklins worn down to about VF, but it's almost
impossible to find any Kennedys that worn.

Perhaps it is/was some kind of cultural momentum. With people
saving Kennedy halves in 1964-65, and thus inadvertently
suppressing them from daily use. Treating it like a
commemorative, "collector's item" that can be expected to be
worth lots of money in the future. So they wouldn't trade it for
a bagel.

And even though some young adult in, say, the nineties, didn't
know or care about Kennedy, the coin was already gone from the
public consciousness.

There isn't any rational reason to stash a modern (non-silver)
Kennedy half in the desk drawer at home today. Except that the
person never saw one before, and thus it SEEMS rare and special.
A lot like a US$2 note.

OTOH, I wonder how much influence was from the big silver
melt-downs which apparently happened in the late 60s. Thus
reducing the real, total supply.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old January 26th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jan 13, 6:26*pm, wrote:
Just a question I'd like to ask.

I the $1 bill is eliminated for a $1 coin, and the $2 bill begins to
circulate widely (as many public opinion polls have suggested) would
you support getting rid of the $2 bill for a $2 coin about 2-5 years
after the $1 bill goes?

I think a $2 coin would be a great idea if our $2 denomination becomespopularlike Canada's did. I'd like to see the U.S. use the Canadian
Twonie as a prototype for a U.S. $2 coin if they issue one. I'd want a
$2 coin even if it only circulated about as much as the current $2
bill does, because they'd still be fun to spend. But just think, if
the $2 bill, or $2 coin becomespopular, the only oddity we could have
fun spending, would be th half dollar.

Tom

Erica Asahan wrote:

Geez, for some reason, US already has a $2 coin? I guess I am wrong
agaiN!