Who To Believe ???

Old August 27th 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Default Who To Believe ???

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
news
Jud wrote:
May I also point out that Goldline is also one of Glenn Beck's
advertisers? I am not saying that holding precious metals is a bad
idea, but I think the fact that Beck is being remunerated by a gold
seller might be an ulterior motive as well.

I'd submit that Goldline and the other advertisers on Beck's or any
other pundit's show keep the stations on the air and that's about
it. Many of those stations are operating on a shoestring. It's the
invisible "sponsors" that really pay Beck's salary.

What are you jabbering on about?
The sponsors have ALWAYS paid the salary for people on radio and TV -
even PBS!

Tell that to the owners of the World's Loudest Station.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-expected.html

Old August 27th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
news Jud wrote:
May I also point out that Goldline is also one of Glenn Beck's
advertisers? I am not saying that holding precious metals is a bad
idea, but I think the fact that Beck is being remunerated by a
gold seller might be an ulterior motive as well.

I'd submit that Goldline and the other advertisers on Beck's or any
other pundit's show keep the stations on the air and that's about
it. Many of those stations are operating on a shoestring. It's
the invisible "sponsors" that really pay Beck's salary.

What are you jabbering on about?
The sponsors have ALWAYS paid the salary for people on radio and TV
- even PBS!

Tell that to the owners of the World's Loudest Station.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-expected.html

You proved my point - if sponsors won't pay, the show doesn't go on.

No, you missed my point, so I'll be out with it. Rush Limbaugh and Sean
Hannity together occupy one-fourth of WLS's entire broadcast day. WLS does
not, nor has it ever, been able to afford to pay contracts the size of
theirs. The ads for used copy machines, get-rich-quick-schemes,
pay-off-your-debt-pennies-on-the-dollar, gold's-gonna-do-this-or-that, etc.
keep the 50 kW flowing to the transmitter, pay for the engineer, and a few
control room operators, an ad manager that has multiple responsibilities,
and that's about it. Don't believe me - read any good history of that
station. Once rich and proud, once home of the Saturday night Barn Dance,
once home of a stable of world-class DJs, now hobbling along, trying to keep
its head above water.

James the Zapper

Old August 27th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 27, 3:04*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/.../wlsam-and-fm-....

You proved my point - if sponsors won't pay, the show doesn't go on.

No, you missed my point, so I'll be out with it. *Rush Limbaugh and Sean
Hannity together occupy one-fourth of WLS's entire broadcast day. *WLS does
not, nor has it ever, been able to afford to pay contracts the size of
theirs. *The ads for used copy machines, get-rich-quick-schemes,
pay-off-your-debt-pennies-on-the-dollar, gold's-gonna-do-this-or-that, etc.
keep the 50 kW flowing to the transmitter, pay for the engineer, and a few
control room operators, an ad manager that has multiple responsibilities,
and that's about it. *Don't believe me - read any good history of that
station. *Once rich and proud, once home of the Saturday night Barn Dance,
once home of a stable of world-class DJs, now hobbling along, trying to keep
its head above water.

James the Zapper- Hide quoted text -

Meathead, whatcha doing still listening to WLS??? I don't know
anybody who listens to WLS much after 1983 (anno domini) or so.
Really, you strike me as an NPR type of liberal. And why do you care
if WLS can't control their costs???

Archie
tuned into the b-reports at 25 and 55 minutes, at WBBM, Newsradio "78".
Old August 27th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
news Jud wrote:
[...]

oly, you mean to tell me you listen to the World's Biggest Bo...no, I'd
better not go there!

And no, I don't listen to WLS, except as I once reported being forced to do
while visiting a favorite coin store whose owner didn't have the good
manners to turn the damn thing off when customers came in. The whole thing
is not worth an arseful of ashes, in my opinion. AM radio can go the way of
the dinosaur, for all I care.

But yeah, I do listen to NPR. I have to have my weekly Prairie Home fix,
where they often feature Vince Giordano on the bass sax, so that justifies
one preset. And then there's Car Talk, the only "talk" show I care for at
all. For me, the music on NPR is where it's at.

James the know-it-all, bleeding heart, flaming, pablum-puking, blaspheming,
godless secular humanist, evolutionist,
never-met-a-Communist-dictator-I-didn't-like, pro-abortion, tree-hugging,
kid-despising, unionist money-grubbing, Ted Kennedy worshipping, Hillary
fawning, Europe admiring, Obama saluting, America hating, peacenik, gay
marriage advocating, SUV bashing, French-looking, terrorist sympathizing,
Constitution flouting, big bang believing, flag burning, Al Gore loving,
global warming fearing, deficit-loving, pointy-haired, liberal pothead
environmentalist liberal wacko. Let's see, did I forget anything? Oh yeah,
single-payer freak, bailout advocate, Mosque supporter, and public pension
leech, and mighty proud of it all! Eat your heart out, Archie Bunker.

Old August 27th 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
news Jud wrote:
[...]

leech, and mighty proud of it all! *Eat your heart out, Archie Bunker.- Hide quoted text -

Well, mon vieux, you really don't look francais, but things that
you've posted here make me think that all the rest is accurate!!!

oly
"Right-wing pawn of the system".
Old August 27th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Aug 26, 7:13*am, oly wrote:
On Aug 25, 7:38*pm, "Bremick" wrote:

wrote in message

The other day on the TV stock channel a so called expert was saying Gold
was at the end of its run on the up side and he expected it to go down
in price considerably in the near future. *Today Glenn Beck was on
saying a depression was coming very soon which I would figure would have
Gold or other hard currencies go up ....
Anyone of you coin collectors have any feelings on this subject ???

You seem to question the credentials of a "so-called" expert on a TV stock
channel, yet you don't sound like you have the same doubts about Glen Beck
on the Fox channel? *Apparently, you consider Beck the more legitimate
expert on the subject. *Go for it. *No matter what happens, you're still
gonna die, so why worry that much about what gold does?

Day in and day out, a person should have a certain percentage of their
assets in gold and silver.

That percentage should NOT be real high - the important thing is that
it should NOT be zero. *The percentage varies from person to person.
Collectible coins with a realatively high composition of silver (and
gold) to their market values are a great way to go - you get the
pleasure of owning a historic object with the protection of holding
some precious metals.

If you don't care anything about history, you can do well with the
modern bullion coins (the ones with explicit even weights in troy
ounces) which have sprung up since 1968 (when the Krugerrand was first
introduced).

However, IMHO, the pleasures of Numismatics are too wonderful to be
missed. *The enjoyment of collecting coins is not inconsiderable.

The big question is something like "What rock did you grow up under?
Where have you been the past fifty years?" *I grew up in quite modest
rural midwestern circumstances and my grandparents, parents and
teachers all let a kid know that yes, gold and silver was (and is)
valuable. *Didn't you ever read "Treasure Island" or The Diaries of
Samuel Pepys? *When the Dutch invaded the Medway in 1665, Mr. Pepys
could refer to 300 pounds of silver plate and 1300 gold guineas as
"That little in money which I presently have by me (in my possession
at home).

We are living in the first period in World History (now ran out to
about the fifty year mark) where 99% of the people in the world accept
whatever monetary dross their government has chosen to replace gold
and silver, or bank paper redeemable in Gold and Silver. *This amount
of faith in a class of venal politicos and bankers is incredible.

There is no indication that this experiement (and that is what it is)
is going to end well.

If you have no precious metal holdings whatsoever, buy three one-ounce
AGE and three rolls (sixty coins) of ASE.

We may see a moment where all fiat currencies go bad nearly
simultaneously. *In the near future.

The financial system imploded about two years back, and the world is
still waffling in the "discovery" and "denial" stages.

At some point, lots of people are going to bail out of an obviously
broken system.

The early-bird "bailers" will do a lot better than the folks that are
going to be too late.

The modern financial system is a big, deep watery pool, and there
aren't many ladders out of it.

oly
"Feeling really really optimistic this morning, ain't I?"- Hide quoted text -

The prescriptions and worries that Oly mentions are in the nature of
potential remedies for risks.

There are some fairly basic ideas about investing that need to be
mentioned. Investing is what you do with money that is in excess of
needs. When we are discussing the case of someone who has far less
than he needs or perhaps is a ward of the state, the need to invest is
not relevant.

If you own wealth in excess of immediate needs, then the subject of
income and hedging are relevant topics. Gold produces no income. If
you have an ounce of gold now and succeed (against all hazards) in
keeping it, then you will still have an ounce of gold.

Normally, if you want to purchase something it becomes a question of
what will an ounce of gold buy. History has shown that there are many
possibilities. Among them gold becomes so valuable that it buys more
than it formerly did; that it declines in value; or, that it comes
under a sufficient cloud that folks dare not admit that they have any.

In any case, a series of transactions that lead to getting something
of value for gold involves barter. Do you like to barter?

In my view, the primary risk that gold ownership addresses (apart from
numismatics) is that confidence is lost in the US dollar (and possibly
other currencies, as well). In my opinion there is some risk of this,
but it is by no means certain. As you can see there are other
opinions available. If you believe as I do, gold coins are
potentially useful, but some thought about how to keep them safe and
how big a chunk of gold you want to handle are issues.
Old August 27th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

oly wrote:
On Aug 27, 4:15 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
oly wrote:
On Aug 27, 3:04 pm, "Mr. Jaggers"
wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" wrote in message
news Jud wrote:
[...]

Yer durn tootin' it's accurate. Unlike some others, I don't lie.

James the Teller Like It Is

Old August 27th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

wrote in message

[...]

You're getting dangerously close to TMI for this outfit, Peter.

James the Simpleton

Old August 27th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote in message

[...]

how big a chunk of gold you want to handle are issues.- Hide quoted text -

Peter, many thanks for what I interpret as a modest to moderate
endorsement of some of my views.

Don't forget the importance and utility of owning some silver at all
times too.

Quite recently I read some survivor of the Yugoslav Civil Wars (about
15 or 20 years back) complain to high heaven that people didn't get
what their gold coins were worth when they tried to trade with farmers
and bakers for meat and bread. Moan moan moan about the
"uselessness" of gold coins.

Duh. That's why you gotta have some silver coins too.

oly
Old August 28th 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

oly wrote:

wrote in message

The other day on the TV stock channel a so called expert was
saying Gold was at the end of its run on the up side and he
expected it to go down in price considerably in the near future.
Today Glenn Beck was on saying a depression was coming very soon
which I would figure would have Gold or other hard currencies go
up ....
Anyone of you coin collectors have any feelings on this subject
???

[...]

But what I want to know is, will it be 15:1 or 16:1. None of this cross of
gold jazz.

James the Commoner