Allen Kane should step down

Old July 20th 04, 01:06 PM
Doug Spade

Default Allen Kane should step down

After reading in Linn's that National Postal Museum Director Allen Kane has
refused dealer Eric Jackson's offer of a million dollars for the revenue
stamps that the Museum intends to burn, it seems clear to me that he is
absolutely the wrong person for the job and must be replaced immediately.

I have sent the following letter to Linn's:

To the Editor:

If I turned down a million dollars for the trash I put at the curb, I'd be
considered either an idiot or a fool. So what are we to think of National
Postal Museum Director Allen Kane when he rejects Eric Jackson's check for
revenues are that destined for destruction?

The conclusion is inescapable. Kane must have flunked math! He could
certainly obtain many more rarities for the Museum with $3 million than with
one or two million.

Since Kane has demonstrated such poor business acumen, I propose the
following:

1) Auction houses should boycott the proposed revenue sale. All recipients
of RFPs should refuse to associate with any project involving the
destruction of stamps.

2) Should the sale attempt still progress, buyers should boycott, leaving
the Museum with nothing but millions of unsold revenues.

Kudos to Arthur Morowitz for having the guts to resign from the Museum's
council of philatelists in protest over the ineptitude with which this whole
sordid affair has been handled.

Let's hope the others on the council quickly follow suit.

Kane is clearly unwilling to listen to reason or the philatelic community at
large. He should resign or be fired.

I see people every day at work who are willing to walk the "party line" no
matter what---even if it means destroying themselves and all that they hold
dear. Kane's emphatic declaration that the destruction of stamps will go
forward, no matter what, means he would fit in very well at my place of
employment.

Mike

Old July 24th 04, 12:24 AM
LN in DC

Not only is it waste and abuse to turn down the offer, and to destroy
federal property under the circumstances, someone ought to be fired..

The procurement process being used to find an auction house violates
many tenents of federal procurement regulations. The solicitation is
flawed. The appearance of conflict of interest and the ability of
people involved with the development of policy to propose on the
contract is corrupt.

The Smithsonian is closing the castle on the mall, last I heard,
because the organization doesn't have enough money to refurbish it -
yet, they tun down a million! They had millions to put up a hangar at
Dulles airport to display airplanes.

The Smithsonian isn't able to pass the smell test, anymore. It
operates with part appropriated government funds and nonappropriated -
with private donors = influence galore. Someone ought to investigate
the private/public use of money and assets in this auction, the
government property destruction and watch over the destination of the
proceeds from the sale.

LN in DC

I am a 20 year veteran of the federal procurement field.

I can tell you that the solicitation to find an auction house vi