Help with trim and other parts in restoring Seeburg 100G

Old November 1st 04, 12:48 AM

Default Help with trim and other parts in restoring Seeburg 100G

I just got my first jukebox so the learning curve will be pretty enormous as
Ive never owned one before and know next to nothing about them so I hope you
will all have patience with me.The jukebox works just fine, and the glass is
in good shape but the trim around it is pretty gouged up on one side and has
numerous deep scratches in it. This trim, along with the trim for the side
glass inside and outside bottom and the trim up the back edge on the inside
looks like aluminum to me.Is that correct?The inside stuff looks to be in
good shape, but the outside is scratched up.Is there a source for all this
trim, either NOS or reproduction? If so, who would have the best prices?
Secondly, The mechanism cover is broke in half and was glued back
together, so I also need a source for this as well as the plastic insert
that say "100 select-O-matic". The bulb is also missing to light that area
up. I was told it was a # 81. Who would have these? Ive been saving for a
looooong time to get my first jukebox, and I want to restore it to looking
like a new one or as close as I can get with my limited budget. Since I
spent all my money on the juke, it will be a slow process! What I need is a
sponser to help me restore this !! LOL.
There is a brass looking piece of reflective plastic or vinyl that
lines the interior of the machine where the mechanism is that is not too bad
but has some spots that are worn away or stained. In other words the finish
is gone. Is there a source for this as well?
Last question for now. I live in Woodstock, Georgia. Is there anyplace
in my area that someone can recommend that I can get some of the pieces on
this machine re-chromed, that wont charge me an arm and a leg. Ive heard
that re-chroming is a fairly expensive prospect. The whole front face needs
to be re-done as well as the front pilasters and some of the side pieces.
Maybe it would be cheaper to just replace these parts with new or
reproduceced stuff if thats even possible? Any help from the experts out
there that can get me started in the right direction with all this stuff
would be greatly appreciated!! ............Mickey

Old November 1st 04, 11:57 AM
mike

Congrats on the first juke. The G is a great box and parts are easy to find.

There are a few dealers that have original trim parts for these but NOS is
going to be hard to find. Try Bill Butterfield, John Durfee, or Ebay. Prices
will vary, be patient and keep looking. There are some jukebox magazines
such as Jukebox Collector and Always Jukin' where you can place or browse
their ads.

Unless you are a purist looking for an grade1 original restoration, a lot of
guys have all trim metal chromed on the G. It really "brightens" up the box
and looks great. There are a few platers that cater to the juke community
but they will not be cheap and you will incur some shipping expenses. If you
decide to go that route, call Victor at Courtesy Metals in Illinois. He may
be able to get you an estimate over the phone as to what $ you are looking
at.

The G is a very popular box and there are lots or repro parts available.
Victory Glass, A1 Jukebox, Jukebox Junction etc will have a good selection
of items for the G including a repro mech cover, plastic pilasters, color
animation kits, bulbs, cartridges, needles, amp kits, cabinet decorative
liner materials, etc

I will try and round up links to the above resources or maybe Ken has them
handy : )

Here are a few pics of my G after I finished it:
http://www.miketyler.net/jukes/seeburgG.jpg
http://www.miketyler.net/seeburgG.jpg
http://www.miketyler.net/seeburgG1.jpg

Good luck
Mike

news

Old November 1st 04, 12:21 PM
Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

You can also have all the aluminum trim re-anodized if you *do* want to be a
stickler for originality. When the machine was new the aluminum trim had a
bright shiny finish not unlike the chrome-plated pieces, and re-anodizing will
restore that appearance.

Another non-purist option is to have someone buffer off the anodizing
(removing the very top layer of aluminum), and then have the aluminum parts
clear-coated with automotive clear (Emron, etc.). This can often be done by
the same folks who plate metals.

Note that plating aluminum *is* a bit of a challenge for many platers. Also
note that chrome plating does not stick to aluminum as well, and since the
aluminum does have more flex than the pot metal parts that are normally chrome
plated, you may on rare occasions get cracks in the plating on the aluminum
parts. I saw this a couple of times on lid glass frames. I tended to shy
away from plated aluminum parts for that reason.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old November 1st 04, 01:52 PM
Ken G.

You picked a very good machine , the G was my 4th and first 50`s machine
I restored the whole thing myself ( chrome was good ) luckly .
I installed plastic pilasters Like in Mikes picture .

I dont think the original pattern gold foil ( at the bottom of your
record changer ) but others are available .. i chose the diamond gold
pattern .
Make sure you save the old vinyl foil , remove it with a putty knife and
use it for a pattern to cut the new stuff out . Clean , scrape all old
glue out to make sure the surfaces are smooth so your new foil looks
nice . Use spray adhesive to install it .

I re-veneered my cabinet because the old ``painted on `` grain finish
was realy bad .
Mine looks just like Mikes accept my grille is dark red . NICE machine
Mike !

Old November 1st 04, 02:46 PM

Mike......Where did you get you veneer for the sides aand bottom and how do
you install it? Maybe you can give me some tips. My sides look to have been
painted a number of times and the wood is a little wavy in spots and a few
small gouges here and there. Do I need to sand down to the bare wood with a
sander? There is a beautiful pic of a restored G on kens sight(the
pinballrebel) where it has gray and mauve swirled veneer that just looks
incredible, id love to do something like that. And the bottom,right above
the lower chrome piece is a dark grey with swirls. Yours looks fantastic as
well. I just dont know where to start!!!.........Is there a book out there I
can get to show me how to do this. Ive never installed veneer
before............Mickey
"mike" wrote in message
[...]

news

Old November 1st 04, 02:50 PM

Thanks so far for the replys. Im going to need a lot of help with this as I
dont know where to turn for parts. Ive also never done veneer before. Where
do you get it? Is it hard to install? Is there a book out there that would
show me how to restore this machine or how to prep and install veneer. Any
tips anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. My sides have been
painted a number of times it looks like and the wood is a little wavy in
areas and there are some small gouges here and there. Do I need to sand down
to bare wood ? I really need a book or something as I dont know where to
begin!!

Old November 1st 04, 02:58 PM

I forgot to ask.....do I have to pull the sides off to refinish them if that
is even possible, or do I do it right on the machine?? See....I really need
a book to help me with this!!
"mike" wrote in message
[...]

news

Old November 1st 04, 03:51 PM
RC

Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of restoring my G.

First tip, take lots of pictures of details as you remove parts, write
things down, and use lots of baggies for screws and parts. Its alot
easier when you put it all together. I use a cheap digital camera.

There's a good book about rebuilding Seeburg jukebox's.
I cant find it now, but will post the name when I do. Its available
from A1, Victory, etc.

The veneering is simple, but take your time doing it. Use paper-backed
10 mil flexible veneer, and contact cement. Available at Constantines,
and other sources, http://www.constantines.com/

Get it down to bare wood, by sanding or paint remover.
Fill in the gouges and sand smooth. Some use bondo, I use wood filler.
You do not have to take the side panels off. Get some craft paper and
make templates of the pieces to cut from the veneer. Use new razors to
trim.

Enjoy the whole process, its fun and rewarding.
Old November 1st 04, 09:50 PM

Thanks, but Im still not sure exactly what to get. It looks like they are
calling the 10mil...1/16 of an inch? Is that the same stuff? I was also
looking for something ....different than a wood finish. Take a look at Kens
sight(The pinball rebel) and go look at his picture under 1953 Seeburg model
G . That juke has the nicest looking gray swirled and mauve swirled sides on
the jukebox Ive seen! Its really sharp. Thats the kind of different Im
looking for! That constantines has some dyed/imatation veneers that look
interesting but they dont mention the thickness , so I dont know if thats
the 1/16 or 10 mil you mentioned. Ive never tried anything like this before,
although I am handy at fixing things, but when it comes to wood products, or
woodworking Im generally all thumbs, so I need all the help I can get!! Any
help from anyone is greatly appreciated! If you come up with a source for
the top glass frame or anything else thats worthwhile, please let me know.
My whole top glass frame needs to be replaced as it is all gouged up, and
has deep scratches in areas. The trim or frame around the side glass inside
bottom and outside bottom also needs to be replaced, and Im not having any
luck finding that stuff either......Mickey

Old November 4th 04, 12:54 PM
mike

Any woodworking store close to you will have plenty of veneers for you to
choose from. The burls and other exotic veneers are going to be VERY pricey
and
can be cost prohibitive for some folks. The last oak veneer I used on a C
and my G was around $35 for a 2' x 8' sheet. A solution for you might be
hand graining. Its a sort of faux finish that I have never used but know it
is an acquired skill. You will have to practice to get the desired effect.

Generally speaking, veneering is pretty easy. Repair any cabinet joints
prior to applying veneer. Fill any voids or low areas that might translate
thru to the new covering. If need be, get a straight edge to make sure the
cabinets flat areas are true. I use a DA sander to rough up the surface for
maximum adhesion. I tack it off and apply Weldwood contact cement with a
roller to both surfaces and let the glue dry to the touch. Make sure the
glue is tack-free before applying the veneer to the surface or else you may
get bubbles. If it is a large piece, place a sheet of wax paper in between
and slide it out once you have the veneer in the proper position. This is a
DIY method that has worked for me and there are more professional methods
and products you can use. I have achieved excellent results doing this in
this manner.

I have never veneered an assembled box - STRONGLY recommended to empty the
cabinet, bag and tag all hardware. The top glass trim you speak of is
extruded aluminum and plates easy. To a degree, your scratches can be buffed
and polished and after plating, the finished product probably would not be
objectionable. I tried several methods to replicate the original anodized
finish and was not successful. There may be some folks in your area that do
anodizing but your colors will be limited and they may be reluctant to take
on any one-off projects. Again, plating is my preference for this trim, and
I have never had any problem with bonding or chipping on these surfaces
years after the treatment.

Some popular parts resources a

www.victoryglass.com
www.jukeboxparts.com