The first 1794 dollar?

Old March 15th 04, 04:34 AM
Jim and Lynn Lasher

Default The first 1794 dollar?

Saw this on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0....ap/index.html

Apologies if the link has already been posted.

-jim-

Old March 15th 04, 04:53 AM
TomDeLorey

Is there any evidence that it is the first coin struck, or is this just wishful
thinking (we'll not even suggest that the owner is trying to increase its
value).
All it seems to have going for it is a sharp strike. The way the screw presses
worked, I would expect that the first one struck would be somewhat average,
with the better strikes coming later once the press crew had worked up a good
rythym. Of course, even this is a guess. Nobody knows when this coin was struck
in sequence.
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: The first 1794 dollar?

Old March 15th 04, 05:11 AM
Phil DeMayo

"Jim and Lynn Lasher" wrote:

Saw this on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0....ap/index.html

Apologies if the link has already been posted.

I went to the dealer's website to see if they had a better image, but no such
luck.

One item did catch my eye given the chatter over Ira's auction. They have an
1895 Proof Morgan graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo for a cool $562,500....sadly
there is no image availbale.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old March 15th 04, 05:55 AM
whohah

I noticed that the PCGS holder mentioned a 'Silver Plug' on the slab.
What's that about?

Jay in Garrison, TX

reply, if ya' wanna, to

Old March 15th 04, 06:30 AM
K6AZ

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:55:02 -0600, "whohah" wrote:

I noticed that the PCGS holder mentioned a 'Silver Plug' on the slab.
What's that about?

Silver plugs were used if the planchet was underweight. The opposite
of this are "adjustment marks" where the planchet was filed until it met
the proper weight.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old March 15th 04, 03:38 PM
A.Gent

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message

I've looked at the coin person. It's perfectly centered, much better struck than
any other 1794. No cartwheel at all, which to me means it was struck very early
in the life of the die. It deserves the SP designation.

That's interesting, Bruce.
No cartwheel = early strike?
Isn't cartwheel lustre a function of normal metal flow during striking? Does die
wear affect the visibility of cartwheel?

What gives, please?

Jeff

Old March 15th 04, 04:03 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:38:58 +1100, "A.Gent" is alleged
to have written:

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
.. .

I've looked at the coin person. It's perfectly centered, much better struck than
any other 1794. No cartwheel at all, which to me means it was struck very early
in the life of the die. It deserves the SP designation.

That's interesting, Bruce.
No cartwheel = early strike?

Not conclusive evidence. But strongly supportive.

When the die is first made, it's fields are smooth. With each strike, the die is
damaged and metal flow begins. This metal flow, when transferred to the coin, is
what causes the cartwheel effect.

Thus, coins struck from early in the die life tend to have prooflike, not
cartwheel, surfaces. Like DMPL morgans and such.

Isn't cartwheel lustre a function of normal metal flow during striking? Does die
wear affect the visibility of cartwheel?

Yes. But after the die has been worn too far, the mint would rework it.
Sometimes restoring the prooflike surfaces, sometimes not. So in theory, that
coin could have been struck right after the die was reworked. Experts in 1794's
say the die was not reworked, based on a study of the coins. And they could
tell.

Bruce

Old March 15th 04, 04:09 PM
A.Gent

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
news

That's interesting, Bruce.
No cartwheel = early strike?

Not conclusive evidence. But strongly supportive.

snip

Thanks Bruce

Jeff
(still learning)