Money Show in Fort Worth

Old March 27th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alan Bruns

Default Money Show in Fort Worth

I attended the ANA Money Show in downtown Fort Worth on Saturday morning.
It's the largest show I've ever attended by far. I had a list of needed
bust half Overton numbers I hoped to reduce by one or two (however far
the budget would reach). I arrived a bit after 10:00am, parking on the
street a few blocks away from the convention center (metered street
parking free in FtW on Saturday/Sunday). I started clockwise around the
outer edge of the exhibit hall and came pretty quickly to the Smithsonian
and BEP exhibits, and that of the US Mint. The gold coins and high-
denomination bills were pretty cool and the people running the areas were
very friendly. I watched a BEP guy print a layer on one of those "hand-
pulled" souvenir sheets, with help from a girl scout.

I spent about 2 1/2 hours in the place, mostly at the tables of 3 dealers
who had nice quantities of old half dollars, and found about 8 that I
really wanted. In the end I chose a couple nice ones at Sheridan
Downey's table. When I first got there, Mr. Downey was helping a couple
boy scouts fill in some answers on a sheet that I assume they were
working to earn a merit badge. The dealers who had volunteered to do
this had signs up, and there were a lot of kids (boy and girl scouts
both) making the rounds. Those dealers were really doing great work, and
the kids and their parents were really enjoying it.

I was sorry to see quite a large number of dealers packing up before
noon, especially since the show is still supposed to be open for business
on Sunday. But then I was also sorry to see that the place wasn't
crowded. Fort Worth and Texas have pretty much missed most of the
recession (also having missed most of the home-price runup leading to
it), so I expected to see more people going around the tables. Comments
from a couple dealers were that this was an OK show, not bad, but not
particularly good either. A small crowd meant that I was able to see
into pretty much all the display cases right away, so it made it nicer
for me, and I got through a lot more quickly than I would have, if I'd
had to work through a crowd.

Two fewer empty holes in the Dansco made this a very successful show for
me.

-Alan Bruns
Old March 27th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Alan Bruns wrote:
[...]

Congratulations on those two new coins. Were they by any chance the 1815/2
and the 1836 reeded edge? 8)

The primo days for big shows are Friday and any days that preceed it. By
Saturday a.m. a lot of dealers and buyers alike have accomplished their
goals and have taken off or are ready to take off, which is why many shows
actually end on Saturday. Sometimes I wonder if the biggest money is in the
pockets of people that don't have a 9 to 5, 5 day work week. Wait, I don't
wonder, I know.

Thanks for the report, I wish I could have been there.

James the NVS

Old March 27th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , Alan Bruns wrote:
[...]

were the half prices good? have they gone up much in the past 3-4 years from
your observations? love them busts.
Old March 28th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alan Bruns

"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in
:

Congratulations on those two new coins. Were they by any chance the
1815/2 and the 1836 reeded edge? 8)

The primo days for big shows are Friday and any days that preceed it.
By Saturday a.m. a lot of dealers and buyers alike have accomplished
their goals and have taken off or are ready to take off, which is why
many shows actually end on Saturday. Sometimes I wonder if the
biggest money is in the pockets of people that don't have a 9 to 5, 5
day work week. Wait, I don't wonder, I know.

Thanks for the report, I wish I could have been there.

James the NVS

I'm afraid that the 1815/2 and 1836 reeded edge are going to be permanent holes in the
book - just out of my range. But I'm closing in on all the rest of the "Red Book"
list.

I've read before about vendors closing up shop early at big shows. I guess you can't
blame 'em. Those boy scouts and girl scouts aren't going to buy much and though I
left most of my coin budget for 3 months behind I'm sure all the big guys finished
their trading the day before. It was really neat just walking around a big show, and
of course finding a number of dealers with large stocks of halves. At the local
Grapevine show there's only ever one or two, and some times none at all.

-Alan Bruns
Old March 28th 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , Alan Bruns wrote:
) wrote in
:

were the half prices good? have they gone up much in the past 3-4
years from your observations? love them busts.

Well, I haven't been collecting busts that long... Not quite two years
since the first one. And I've got to say that the collection at this point
is mostly F-XF, with a number of VGs (and one possible counterfeit) so I
haven't been buying the grades where general price variations would be
noticable. I know the Greysheet prices haven't budged in two years, though
that list is of doubtful use for those buying Overton varieties. But I
think I got reasonably good prices on the two VF coins I bought at the
show. And the other bust halves I was considering were all within the
range that I was prepared to pay. (But then I didn't even think of asking
to look at the keys to the series. Heritage had 3 of the 1836 reeded edge
and at least 1 1815/2 in their auctions, so they were at least available.)

-Alan Bruns

thanks. i don't have either of those mostly becuse i waited too long or jumped
the wrong way. i spent money put aside once for a coin in a different series.
super good buy but but but, i shoulda,.
ya know?
Old March 28th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alan Bruns

"Bob-tx" wrote in news:4baf504f$0$12430
:

"Alan Bruns" wrote in message
.90...
I attended the ANA Money Show in downtown Fort Worth on Saturday
morning.
It's the largest show I've ever attended by far.

SNIP
Sounds like it was a good show, and I would have driven the 250
miles to go, had I known about it. So, the question that comes to
my mind, is:

Where does a person find advance information about coin show - large
and small?
Any good sources?

Bob-tx

-Alan Bruns

I check this site every month or so. I don't know how complete it is (I
believe they rely on the show sponsors to tell them about 'em) but it's
cueued me in to a number of good experiences throughout the area. The
Fort Worth area shows seem to always be there, with details entered a
month or two ahead of time.

http://www.coinshows.com/texas.html

And of course if you leave off the "/texas.html" part you get a choice
page where you can select any state. Good site.
Old March 28th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bob-tx wrote:
"Alan Bruns" wrote in message
.90...
I attended the ANA Money Show in downtown Fort Worth on Saturday
morning.
It's the largest show I've ever attended by far.

SNIP
Sounds like it was a good show, and I would have driven the 250
miles to go, had I known about it. So, the question that comes to
my mind, is:

Where does a person find advance information about coin show - large
and small?
Any good sources?

Numismatic News
Coin World
The Numismatist
World Coin News
Greysheet
ANA Website
websites such as http://www.coininfo.com/coin_shows/month/march

James

Old March 28th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 28, 8:59*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Bob-tx wrote:
"Alan Bruns" wrote in message
4.90...
I attended the ANA Money Show in downtown Fort Worth on Saturday
morning.
It's the largest show I've ever attended by far.

SNIP
Sounds like it was a good show, and I would have driven the 250
miles to go, had I known about it. * So, the question that comes to
my mind, is:

Where does a person find advance information about coin show - large
and small?
Any good sources?

Numismatic News
Coin World
The Numismatist
World Coin News
Greysheet
ANA Website
websites such ashttp://www.coininfo.com/coin_shows/month/march

James

If you're in the Netherlands, this is one group of shows:
http://www.mpo.nl/nl/beurzen
Old March 28th 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter wrote:
On Mar 28, 8:59 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Bob-tx wrote:
"Alan Bruns" wrote in message
.90...
[...]

I've never been to a show outside the U.S. Are shows in other countries
much different from shows in the U.S., other than the obvious differences in
type of merchandise displayed?

James

TNA Show this weekend in Fort Worth Frank Provasek Coins 4 May 16th 09 04:20 PM
Strong sales at Fort Worth show Frank Provasek Coins 7 November 10th 08 06:40 PM
Fort Worth gets 2010 ANA Money Show [email protected] Coins 6 September 16th 07 05:39 PM
Fort Worth Coin Show Bill Yates Coins 1 November 6th 04 06:36 AM
Coin Show Fort Worth Bill Yates Coins 0 March 28th 04 03:10 AM