How much is enough?

Old March 26th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

Default How much is enough?

I purchased an 18th century Spanish 2 Reales coin from eBay. When I
look at it (and I've seen a number of genuine examples -- from the
Spanish mint even) it looks genuine. As I put it up on the shelf, it
seemed just a little light. I weighed it (it is 5.53 grams rather
than 6.77) and it is light. It is the correct diameter and all of the
engraving looks correct. It is clearly worn, but all of the legends
are clear and even the main elements in the shield are distinct in
outline, but with wear.

Being 18% light seems like a lot. Should I worry that it might not be
genuine?
Old March 26th 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Peter" wrote in message
I purchased an 18th century Spanish 2 Reales coin from eBay. When I
look at it (and I've seen a number of genuine examples -- from the
Spanish mint even) it looks genuine. As I put it up on the shelf, it
seemed just a little light. I weighed it (it is 5.53 grams rather
than 6.77) and it is light. It is the correct diameter and all of the
engraving looks correct. It is clearly worn, but all of the legends
are clear and even the main elements in the shield are distinct in
outline, but with wear.

Being 18% light seems like a lot. Should I worry that it might not be
genuine?

I think you already are.

Old March 26th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"Peter" wrote in message
I purchased an 18th century Spanish 2 Reales coin from eBay. When I
look at it (and I've seen a number of genuine examples -- from the
Spanish mint even) it looks genuine. As I put it up on the shelf, it
seemed just a little light. I weighed it (it is 5.53 grams rather
than 6.77) and it is light. It is the correct diameter and all of the
engraving looks correct. It is clearly worn, but all of the legends
are clear and even the main elements in the shield are distinct in
outline, but with wear.

Being 18% light seems like a lot. Should I worry that it might not be
genuine?

Should you worry?
No, worrying never helped anything.
I'd return the coin for a refund and move on.

Old March 26th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_7_]

? "Peter" ?????? ??? ??????
I purchased an 18th century Spanish 2 Reales coin from eBay. When I
look at it (and I've seen a number of genuine examples -- from the
Spanish mint even) it looks genuine. As I put it up on the shelf, it
seemed just a little light. I weighed it (it is 5.53 grams rather
than 6.77) and it is light. It is the correct diameter and all of the
engraving looks correct. It is clearly worn, but all of the legends
are clear and even the main elements in the shield are distinct in
outline, but with wear.

Being 18% light seems like a lot. Should I worry that it might not be
genuine?

Most probably a Chinese fake.
Return it to the seller asap!

Old March 26th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter wrote:
I purchased an 18th century Spanish 2 Reales coin from eBay. When I
look at it (and I've seen a number of genuine examples -- from the
Spanish mint even) it looks genuine. As I put it up on the shelf, it
seemed just a little light. I weighed it (it is 5.53 grams rather
than 6.77) and it is light. It is the correct diameter and all of the
engraving looks correct. It is clearly worn, but all of the legends
are clear and even the main elements in the shield are distinct in
outline, but with wear.

Being 18% light seems like a lot. Should I worry that it might not be
genuine?

Seeing as how the Spanish silver was a major workhorse of the early American
economy, it is not at all surprising that there were a ton of contemporary
counterfeits. It's true even of many of the later state coppers, of which
there were fakes made on both sides of the Atlantic, and then fakes made of
some of those fakes, etc. Things were pretty much of a mess back in those
good old days. One really had to have a program to be able to tell the
players. Unlike today, though, at least you would not likely have been out
the entire face value of the coins, just the amount of shortfall of their
weight, which is another reason they circulated so freely.

James "These Are the Good Old Days" the Party Pooper

Old March 26th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Peter" wrote:

Being 18% light seems like a lot. Should I worry that it might not be
genuine?

This very well worn 2 reales comes in at 6.4 grams, at least on my
scale:

http://www.wemightneedthat.biz/2reales-obverse.jpg
http://www.wemightneedthat.biz/2reales-reverse.jpg

How early 18th century?

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old March 26th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 26, 5:31*pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:

How early 18th century?

Hmmm ... yours is much more worn. The Mexican 2 Reales coins of the
1830s were only supposed to be 6.76 gms.

Mine appears much less worn than yours. It is a different design
(shield on one side and cross on the other) and from the Madrid mint
(1761).

You've convinced me; there is a problem. Thank you, everyone.