Michael Jackson stamp?

Old June 25th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Default Michael Jackson stamp?

I just read on www.tmz.com that MJ died today, only 50. Too early.

Then a question came to me: when will/can the USPS issue a stamp to
honour him- if they will do that? Must the USPS wait a couple of years
or can they just go on. Are there any rules for such issues?
--
Mvh Toke
Se http://www.norbyhus.dk/DDPE/
Old June 25th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jun 25, 6:05*pm, Toke Nørby wrote:
I just read onwww.tmz.comthat MJ died today, only 50. Too early.

Then a question came to me: when will/can the USPS issue a stamp to
honour him- if they will do that? Must the USPS wait a couple of years
or can they just go on. Are there any rules for such issues?
--
Mvh Toke
Sehttp://www.norbyhus.dk/DDPE/
En ny bog med biografier over godt
4300 postfolk m.m.

In my opinion the Jackson bad side overshadows the good side.
My personal thoughts are that we do not need to give a child molester
a postage stamp.

Ralphael, the OLD one.

Old June 26th 09, 11:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
I just read on www.tmz.com that MJ died today, only 50. Too early.

Then a question came to me: when will/can the USPS issue a stamp to
honour him- if they will do that? Must the USPS wait a couple of years
or can they just go on. Are there any rules for such issues?

Toke,

Yes, there are rules, please see below:

"3. Commemorative stamps or postal stationery items honoring individuals
usually will be issued on, or in conjunction with significant anniversaries
of their birth, but no postal item will be issued sooner than five years
after the individual's death. The Committee will not accept or consider
proposals for a subject until at least three years after his/her death. The
only exception to the five-year rule is the issuance of stamps honoring
deceased U.S. presidents. They may be honored with a memorial stamp on the
first birth anniversary following death."

http://www.usps.com/communications/o...ation/csac.htm

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old June 28th 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Victor Manta" wrote:

Toke,

Yes, there are rules, please see below:

"3. Commemorative stamps or postal stationery items honoring individuals
usually will be issued on, or in conjunction with significant anniversaries
of their birth, but no postal item will be issued sooner than five years
after the individual's death. The Committee will not accept or consider
proposals for a subject until at least three years after his/her death. The
only exception to the five-year rule is the issuance of stamps honoring
deceased U.S. presidents. They may be honored with a memorial stamp on the
first birth anniversary following death."

http://www.usps.com/communications/o...ation/csac.htm

Thanks, Victor.
I am not a fan of Michael Jackson - but like (probably like many other
people) a few of his songs. The stupid things he has done don't bother
me much - Danes can behave as bad (!) but seldom find the way to the
headlines. I was just wondering about the rules.
Old June 28th 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Movie Stars on US Stamps. Why not? Michael Jackson stamp?

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" wrote:

[...]

Like you, I liked some of his songs. And he was a great dancer too.

As for the 5 years rule, I find that the artists (as opposed to politicians)
should be honored on stamps during their "glorious" years. Later is often
too late, at least for me and for people of my age, because so many of them
we'll never see on stamps :-(

I would be glad for some US stamps celebrating (just to name about 30 who
come faster to my mind): Clint Eastwood, Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, Meryl
Streep, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Halle Berry, Sylvester Stallone, Jodie
Foster, Tom Cruise, Meg Ryan, Jack Nicholson, Kate Winslet, Al Pacino,
Sharon Stone, Robert de Niro, Glenn Close, Bruce Willis, Nicole Kidman,
Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway, Michael Douglas, Charlize Theron, Richard
Dreyfuss, Angelina Jolie, Roberd Redford, Richard Gere, Sigourney Weaver,
Harrison Ford, Leonardo DiCaprio, Keanu Reeves, Gene Hackman. I know that
not all of them are US-Americans.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP