Oldest pillar box still in use?

Old June 21st 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Oldest pillar box still in use?

100km east of Perth, West Australia
we have a red "VR" 1891 pillar box still in use.
(Image supplied by request)
Can anyone beat that?

Facsimiles not accepted.

Old June 21st 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

100km east of Perth, West Australia
we have a red "VR" 1891 pillar box still in use.
(Image supplied by request)
Can anyone beat that?

Facsimiles not accepted.

There are several older ones here in the UK.

There is one of the hexagonal Penfold boxes in Buxton opposite the
Opera House, dating from the late 1860's, and near a friend's house
in Milford-on-Sea I have used one with a vertical letter slot - one
of the oldest in the country. dating from 1856-7.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/513783

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old June 21st 09, 08:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

OK Thanks Tony,
I am happy with the bronze medal.

"Tony Clayton"

Old June 21st 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

OK Thanks Tony,
I am happy with the bronze medal.

"Tony Clayton"
There are several older ones here in the UK.

There is one of the hexagonal Penfold boxes in Buxton opposite the
Opera House, dating from the late 1860's, and near a friend's house
in Milford-on-Sea I have used one with a vertical letter slot - one
of the oldest in the country. dating from 1856-7.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/513783

There are a few even older ones, but I believe most are in postbox collections!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... I'm not nearly as think as you confused I am.
Old June 21st 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I just lost the bronze on a re count, Tony.

The oldest be from where I was, Dorset way,
Oooo Arrrr By gum!
http://cjoint.com/data/gvx3KohLSU.htm

Old June 22nd 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 21 June, 23:58, "rodney" wrote:
I just lost the bronze on a re count, Tony.

The oldest be from where I was, Dorset way,
Oooo Arrrr By gum!http://cjoint.com/data/gvx3KohLSU.htm

"Tony Clayton"

There are a few even older ones, but I believe most are in postbox
collections!

--
Tony Clayton * * * * *
Coins of the UK * * *:http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
... I'm not nearly as think as you confused I am.

Here's a local one to me: http://cjoint.com/?gwfgOmJAyZ Belvedere
Road, Anerley, London SE20.

Chris
Old June 22nd 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Very nice, I can almost hear the jingle of the keys.
Perched atop, prime front row seat, for the passing parade.

Old June 22nd 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Oooo Arrr, maybe this be it, then?
http://cjoint.com/data/gwqaxIVTpb.htm

"Sir F. A. Rien"
Guinness say the oldest are two at Hauteville and Union streets, St. Peter
Port, Guernsey. Erected 8 February 1853and never changed out.

Confirmed by Jean Farrugia, Archivist of the B.P.O. Guernsey issued a
stamp
in their commemoration.

So, unless removed since the Guinness book was published, they be it.

Old June 22nd 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 22, 10:02*am, "rodney" wrote:
Oooo Arrr, maybe this be it, then?http://cjoint.com/data/gwqaxIVTpb.htm

"Sir F. A. Rien"

Guinness say the oldest are two at Hauteville and Union streets, St. Peter
Port, Guernsey. Erected 8 February 1853and never changed out.

Confirmed by Jean Farrugia, Archivist of the B.P.O. Guernsey issued a
stamp
in their commemoration.

So, unless removed since the Guinness book was published, they be it.

This is it. It is no longer in Guernsey, but in the British postal
museum.

This pillar box was originally from Guernsey in the Channel Islands.
It was one of the first pillar boxes to be introduced in the UK as an
experiment in the Channel Islands in 1852-3.

Anthony Trollope, who at the time worked for the General Post Office
oversaw this trial. The success of these boxes triggered the
introduction
of pillar boxes on the Mainland later in 1853.

This box was made locally of cast iron by John Vaudin. It came to the
Postal Museum from Bristol. There, it had been standing outside the
South Western Postal Region Headquarters since it was presented
to the British Post Office by the Guernsey Post Office Board in 1969.

http://postalheritage.org.uk/collect...el-Islands.jpg

Blair

It is very rare as it is one of two left surviving; the other is still
in use in Union Street, St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Old June 22nd 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message wrote:

On 21 June, 23:58, "rodney" wrote:
I just lost the bronze on a re count, Tony.

The oldest be from where I was, Dorset way,
Oooo Arrrr By gum!
http://cjoint.com/data/gvx3KohLSU.htm

"Tony Clayton"

There are a few even older ones, but I believe most are in postbox
collections!

--
Tony Clayton * * * * *
Coins of the UK * * *:http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
... I'm not nearly as think as you confused I am.

Here's a local one to me: http://cjoint.com/?gwfgOmJAyZ Belvedere
Road, Anerley, London SE20.

Penfold boxes such as that are relatively common - I believe that
over 100 are still in use.

Besides the one in Buxton that I mentioned, there is one at Haslemere
in Surrey that has been put back, not necessarily in its original
position, and is rather confusingly painted dark green, which was
apparently the original colour. I suspect that this may deter some
customers from using it with doubts as to its being emptied by Royal Mail
(but it is).

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... My reality check just bounced.