India~regugee relief.

Old June 2nd 09, 09:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default India~regugee relief.

Indian Refugee relief stamps existed between 15th Nov 1971 to 31st March
1973
to raise funds for refugees from Bangladesh and East Pakistan.
The levy was 5 paise on all mails.

There were hundreds of rubber cancellers apparently, this one I have never
spied
before, so it is here for the record.
It may be a forgery, letterpress forgeries exist.

http://cjoint.com/data/gckkviGVst.htm

Old June 2nd 09, 10:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

rodney schrieb:
Indian Refugee relief stamps existed between 15th Nov 1971 to 31st March
1973
to raise funds for refugees from Bangladesh and East Pakistan.
The levy was 5 paise on all mails.

There were hundreds of rubber cancellers apparently, this one I have never
spied
before, so it is here for the record.
It may be a forgery, letterpress forgeries exist.

http://cjoint.com/data/gckkviGVst.htm

Hi Rodney

Does that make sense on a Service-Stamp? Was'nt that "Refugee Relief"
initiated for use in normal postage bussines?

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!
Old June 2nd 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Hi Pete,
yes it does, "refugee relief" was stamped on all and sundry,
officials, revenues and postage.
Before the official refugee relief stamps could be issued
the overprints were authorised by the postal authorities
hence the abundance of rubber stamps.
When organised you will see them on Letter cards and aerogrammes
then later there was an overprint cancelling these.

Here is 3 officials indicating the 5 paise tax
http://cjoint.com/data/gcmexuxGwf.htm

I only had one question, my official was on a 3np issue, I assume
that transferred to the 5 paise requirement, but I don't really know.

There is a deeper study of these by R Howard Courtney
http://friends.peoria.lib.il.us/comm...geerelief.html

HTH

Rod

"Peter Baumann"

Old June 2nd 09, 01:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

rodney schrieb:
[...]

Well, Rodney, I have several in my collection, hand-stamped ond
overprint,but they are all regular postage stamps and no officials.
So state authorities had to pay that "refugee relief" too?

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!
Old June 2nd 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Well, yes, that way Joe public pays twice
According to Mr. Courtney, I see postcards and newspapers were exempt, Pete.

A trick would be finding the postmarks that cancel the tax after 1973
I would have passed over them, not knowing what they meant.

"Peter Baumann"

Old June 2nd 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 2, 8:31*am, "rodney" wrote:
Well, yes, that way Joe public pays twice
According to Mr. Courtney, I see postcards and newspapers were exempt, Pete.

A trick would be finding the postmarks that cancel the tax after 1973
I would have passed over them, not knowing what they meant.

"Peter Baumann"

Well, Rodney, I have several in my collection, hand-stamped ond
overprint,but they are all regular postage stamps and no officials.
So state authorities had to pay that "refugee relief" too?

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!

I have seen quite a few over the years. They were hand stamps
and printed OPs. All were 5p values ( I would have remembered
any NON 5p values.)

Blair
Old June 2nd 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

INDIA REVENUE RARE O/P REFUGEE RELIEF TAX
ON INDIAN FISCAL STAMPS

http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!BTNt)WQB2k~$(KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVUyCBKHSOP1bzQ~~_1.JP G

Blair
Old June 2nd 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

Here are some varieties of the overprints seen,
with places of origin.

http://z.hubpages.com/u/482265_f520.jpg

Old June 3rd 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Great stuff Blair. Thanks.
I wonder how much they raised in the 2 years
it would have been substantial.

"Blair"

Old June 3rd 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

At least one member of the India Study Circle is researching the
Refugee Relief overprints. I don't want to publish his name and email
address here, but if you think it might be of use, I'll be happy to
pass them on off-list.

Tony