Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

Old June 5th 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

"Honus" wrote in message
news

"Coffee's For Closers" wrote in message
g...

I think it was a dumb idea to hand them out. As I understand it,
Islam includes Jesus Of Nazareth as a wise prophet, but NOT as
the Messiah/savior. So Muslims have respect with limits, which
is OK.

Prostheletising is annoying enough if it is LDS, or JW, or
Scientologist, in a country that is at peace. And I feel that it
is totally out of line to do it in a context where the audience
feels forcibly occupied by an army that is associated with death
and destruction. And then at a roadblock where the foreigners
make you ask permission to travel in your own country.

It is simply violating common sense to hand those items out then
and there. Personally, I would be extra ****ed-off to receive a
religious suggestion in an equivalent context. And, while I
might just have a negative opinion, there are people in Iraq who
may feel encouraged to act out physically, which is bad for
everyone involved.

Very well put. Thanks for posting my thoughts for me.

The only thing I'd add off the top of my head is how although this is
almost certainly an isolated (and fairly minor) incident, it reinforces
the notion that our presence over there is "The Crusades Redux". What he
did was even more idiotic examined in the context of the history of the
region. The last thing we need is to hand the bad guys one more bit of
evidence against us to use as a recruiting tool. And speaking of "tools",
throwing this one in the brig is exactly what's needed here. He ought to
be on his knees thanking his god that he didn't stop a Muslim bullet with
his head. I'm glad for him in that regard...now he needs to pay the price
for his sin and/or naivete. Although I'd certainly consider it a waste, I
don't much care if he wants to martyr himself; I'd just rather he did it
on his own time, under the aegis of his own authority...not ours.

And while we're on the subject of tools (listening Oakley?) he's not being
"persecuted". He's going to be (hopefully) "prosecuted" and punished
(again, hopefully) in appropriate measure for violating the agreement that
he made with the Marine Corps. Or doesn't his word count for something,
and shouldn't he be held accountable for his actions?

An attitude like that will get you in his killfile -- where I've been now
for years, with no hope of escape. Say, you don't suppose that [gasp] I'm
in Hell, do you? Please tell me this isn't Hell!

James

Old June 5th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Bad thing is, the ones who go to lengths such as handing out coins and
religious propaganda are usually the same ones that end up porking
their own daughters and impregnating them. Then they go back to
church the next Sunday and beg forgiveness.....and all is forgiven.
Old June 5th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 4, 10:41*pm, "Brian Oakley" wrote:
I agree Jerry. *The ones persecuting him dont understand that he does it
because he loves them and and cares about what happens to them. They have a
right to what ever religion they choose, but handing out a coin with a Bible
verse on it is hardly forcing them to convert. Ill be praying for this
soldier.

He disobeyed a standing order in a war zone.
At MINIMUM he should spend some time in the stockade, where he will
hopefully learn how to follow orders.
Were I in command, I'd give him a dishonorable discharge and a few
years (5 at least) in Ft. Leavenworth to repent.
Old June 5th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

An attitude like that will get you in his killfile -- where I've been now
for years, with no hope of escape. Say, you don't suppose that [gasp] I'm
in Hell, do you? Please tell me this isn't Hell!

No, Mr. Jaggers...it's not Hell. It's a place called Usenet.

But then again....

Old June 5th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
The Mystic

I agree Jerry. The ones persecuting him dont understand that he does it
because he loves them and and cares about what happens to them. They have a
right to what ever religion they choose, but handing out a coin with a Bible
verse on it is hardly forcing them to convert. Ill be praying for this
soldier.

Muslims will come knocking on your door handing out Mohammed coins and
Korans. Just remember that it's not forcing you to convert to Islam.

Old June 5th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Leo Marx

The Mystic wrote:

I agree Jerry. The ones persecuting him dont understand that he does it
because he loves them and and cares about what happens to them. They have a
right to what ever religion they choose, but handing out a coin with a Bible
verse on it is hardly forcing them to convert. Ill be praying for this
soldier.

Muslims will come knocking on your door handing out Mohammed coins and
Korans. Just remember that it's not forcing you to convert to Islam.

How about an occupying muslim army proselytizing in the US?

Think that would **** anyone off?

http://tinyurl.com/489egh

JAM
Old June 9th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jun 5, 12:49�pm, RF wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:41�pm, "Brian Oakley" wrote:

I agree Jerry. �The ones persecuting him dont understand that he does it
because he loves them and and cares about what happens to them. They have a
right to what ever religion they choose, but handing out a coin with a Bible
verse on it is hardly forcing them to convert. Ill be praying for this
soldier.

He disobeyed a standing order in a war zone.
At MINIMUM he should spend some time in the stockade, where he will
hopefully learn how to follow orders.
Were I in command, I'd give him a dishonorable discharge and a few
years (5 at least) in Ft. Leavenworth to repent.

Well, well, well, Bob. You know NOTHING about military justice (or
lack of it, depending on your point of view). And before you go
spouting off about what I know about military justice, I'll just say I
was a Navy paralegal for 21 YEARS!

1. I doubt there is a standing order about religion. I'm not saying
there isn't, I just doubt there is.

2. In the Marines (and the Navy), it's called a brig, not a stockade
(that's the Army).

3. Were you in command, you'd know you can't give him a Dishonorable
Discharge. That is a sentence of a General Court-Martial alone, and
then only for selected offenses.

I stand by my original response. It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

Jerry
Old June 9th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 8, 8:22*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
1. *I doubt there is a standing order about religion. *I'm not saying
there isn't, I just doubt there is.

"Regulations prohibit members of the coalition force
from proselytizing any religion, faith or practices,"
said Col. Bill Buckner, a coalition spokesman. "Our
troops are trained on those guidelines before they
deploy."

2. *In the Marines (and the Navy), it's called a brig, not a stockade
(that's the Army).

Whatever.

3. *Were you in command, you'd know you can't give him a Dishonorable
Discharge. *That is a sentence of a General Court-Martial alone, and
then only for selected offenses.

I stand corrected.
Nevertheless, the Marine in question should face a court-martial and
be given the severest punishment possible.

I stand by my original response. *It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. *Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

Our troops are not there to push ANY religious dogma, christian or
otherwise.
Having troops fight in the name of religion sounds more like the
Muslim world, doesn't it?
Try pulling your head out of your holier-than-thou ass!
Old June 9th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message

... I'll just say I
was a Navy paralegal for 21 YEARS!

I stand by my original response. It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

Jerry

Didn't learn much in 21 YEARS!, did you?

Who said he was being punished for "believing"?

--
Jeff R.

Coins of the Bible Jump Master[_2_] Coins 8 January 4th 08 03:39 AM
Value of old German Bible drhender Books 3 May 23rd 06 04:23 PM
Antique Bible chattykathy Books 2 October 27th 05 03:55 AM
1543 Bible Dick Stephens Books 1 July 28th 03 05:43 PM