Illegal stamps - Rwanda

Old May 30th 05, 04:38 PM
Blair (TC)

Default Illegal stamps - Rwanda

Here we go again. This time Rwanda is the victim.

Blair

Rwanda - Illegal postage stamp issues

From the postal administration of RWANDA:

"This is to apprise Universal Postal Union member
countries and the World Association for the Development
of Philately of the piracy that is again being
perpetrated against Rwanda Post through the issue
and sale of illegal postage stamps bearing the word 'Rwanda'.

Unidentified, unscrupulous individuals are seeking
to discredit our country by circulating postage stamps
which they claim have been issued by Rwanda.

This situation is even more reprehensible since it
reflects badly on Rwanda's moral and economic integrity.

As the only body authorized to issue and disseminate
postage stamps under Rwandan law, the National Post
Office deplores this usurpation of its rights and
condemns these shameful actions which undermine
the reputation and tarnish the image of Rwandan
philatelic products.

We therefore ask the postal administrations of
Union member countries and all their partners to
support the efforts being made by the Rwandan
postal administration to tackle this phenomenon
which has a disastrous effect on our sector of activity.

A non-exhaustive list of illegal postage stamps is annexed.

We would like to take this opportunity to point
out that philatelists wishing to receive information
on Rwandan philatelic products should contact
the National Post Office at the following address:

National Post Office
P.O. Box 4
KIGALI
RWANDA
Fax: (250) 514091
Tel: (250) 82703
(250) 516075
E-mail:

The Rwandan Post does not have a philatelic
representative outside its territory."

Annex
Illegal postage stamp issues produced in the name of Rwanda

19 October 2003: Beatification of Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Souvenir sheet of 2 postage stamps featuring an image
of Pope Jean-Paul II on the stamp on the left, an
image of Mother Teresa of Calcutta on the stamp
on the right, and the effigy of Mother Teresa of
Calcutta between the two stamps.
The values shown are 500 F.
The first day of issue is shown as 01.04.2003.

Fauna

One miniature sheet of 1 stamp featuring a snake.
The value shown is 500 F.
The first day of issue is shown as 01.04.2003.
The species name is shown on the stamp.
The sheet features the words "THE WILDLIFE TRUSTS"
and a matching logo.

A souvenir sheet of 6 stamps featuring snakes.
The name of each species is featured on each stamp.
The first day of issue is shown as 01.04.2003.
The values shown are 100 F for the stamps on the left
and 200 F for the stamps on the right.
The sheet features the words "THE WILDLIFE TRUSTS
Protect Mother Earth".

Old May 30th 05, 05:07 PM
amesh

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...
Here we go again. This time Rwanda is the victim.

In the fight against illegal stamps it seems appropriate to mention that as
of 1st January 2002 the WNS -- World Numbering System -- lists all authentic
postage stamps issued by its member countries.
http://www.wnsstamps.ch/en/

The listing may be used by collectors to verify any postal authority's
genuine issues, provided that such countries are members. Eventually check
the detailed list of "Participating stamp issuing authorities" to see
whether the country in question is included, or whether there are stamps
awaiting registration.

Mette

Rwanda - Illegal postage stamp issues

From the postal administration of RWANDA:

Old May 30th 05, 08:11 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:07:43 +0200, "amesh" wrote:

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Here we go again. This time Rwanda is the victim.

In the fight against illegal stamps it seems appropriate to mention that as
of 1st January 2002 the WNS -- World Numbering System -- lists all authentic
postage stamps issued by its member countries.
http://www.wnsstamps.ch/en/

The listing may be used by collectors to verify any postal authority's
genuine issues, provided that such countries are members. Eventually check
the detailed list of "Participating stamp issuing authorities" to see
whether the country in question is included, or whether there are stamps
awaiting registration.

This is great that newer stamps have been cataloged and identified,
but there will be some older stamps that will slip through the cracks.

First check WNS, then look through your catalog for any identifying
features such as in Scott:

1) Italicized values "may" indicate lack of info the item for legit
and illegitimate stamps.

2) No value is the used column, most times because of embargoes,
illegalities, CTO status or other sordid things.

3) Notes within the country itself. Things like after such and such a
date, blah, blah, blah...

4) Reading topics here, in the trades, etc. about this -and- companies
that sell these stamps. I won't mention any, but we have talked about
them here in the past.

5) Ask others at your stamp club. They may know a thing or 2 about
it. Maybe bring it up as a topic at a stamp club meeting to educate
others.

If a person wishes to collect them, so be it. But, if a person is
selling them on eBay or elsewhere, letting others know that this
seller "may" have illegals always educates the public. Not
necessarily a bad thing, but some people may want to avoid this
seller.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 30th 05, 08:41 PM
amesh

skrev i en meddelelse
On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:07:43 +0200, "amesh" wrote:

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
roups.com...
[...]

This is sound advice, Tracy, but from the discussions here some years ago I
seem to recall that even Scott has made some blunders in listing some of
these "products". e.g. Afghanistan.

Mette

Old May 30th 05, 10:31 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:41:22 +0200, "amesh" wrote:

skrev i en meddelelse
.. .
On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:07:43 +0200, "amesh" wrote:

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
groups.com...
[...]

Considering that no catalog is perfect, this applies to the entire
world of stamp catalog publishers. That said, Scott does make many
mistakes. One thing Scott doesn't do much of, though, is list
speculative issues as a general rule.

Old May 30th 05, 11:11 PM
Blair (TC)

Hi Mette:

I agree with your comments about WNS. However, about
41 UPU member countries still are NOT members of WNS.

Blair (TC)

Old May 30th 05, 11:37 PM
amesh

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ps.com...
Hi Mette:

I agree with your comments about WNS. However, about
41 UPU member countries still are NOT members of WNS.

Hi Blair,
That's correct. And for some of the participating countries there are still
stamps from 2004 and 2005 awaiting registration. In the HCA-case I checked
Benin, Eritrea and Mauritania -- all WNS-members, and found no registrations
since 2003. In general 2005-issues are only registered to some extent.

The same goes for Rwanda. 2002: no stamps issued. 2003, 2004, 2005:
awaiting stamps for registration.

Mette