Do catalog publishers ever reformat their catalogs?

Old August 13th 03, 08:29 AM
Douglas MYALL

David F. wrote in article
snip
Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I know that some catalogue
publishers also publish albums but your message did not refer to the

first
of these activities while your subject line mentioned nothing else. As

catalogue publisher myself I found your subject line confusing. None

of
the follow-up posts had any relevance for a catalogue publisher.

Douglas

Hey, Douglas - what about publishing a multi-part Album to hold
all of the listed Machins in your Catalogue? Would it be possible?
There could be a big market for something like that!

David.

I have considered this possibility in the past but have always decided
against it. Among the reasons is the fact that some listed items are rare
or scarce and to have spaces for them in a pre-printed album would simply
draw attention to the woeful inadequacy of one's collection grin. This
is why I invented the concept of Profiles. These are stamp-sized bits of
paper which contain, in a standard format, all the textual information
that makes one stamp different from another. They also contain visual
information such as the phosphor layout and the exact perforation gauge
plus ellipses where present. Each listed stamp has its own Profile.
Profiles are then treated in exactly the same way as the stamps and
mounted alongside them. Blank or computer-designed pages can be used but I
prefer stock sheets (or split mounts for mint stamps) myself. This system
is extremely flexible, if you don't have a stamp you don't use the
Profile. (You can put these unused Profiles into another stock book and
use it as a portable wants list.) If you later obtain a listed stamp you
simply move the stamps to make room. `Move the stamp, move its Profile.'

Douglas

(Re-posted as it has not appeared on my server.)
Old August 13th 03, 10:26 AM
David F.

[...]

Regarding the "rarer" stamps - All of my GB Albums have a space for
the SG.43: Penny Red Plate 77, but how many of us will ever have one?

I think an Album which shows a complete listing is preferable to a cut-down
one, along the lines of "Collect British Stamps", which leaves so many QV
Classic variations out!

As the old punchline goes - 'it was there if you needed it'.

Regards,

David.