Guess Which Marketplace dealer got off this rant

Old November 13th 04, 10:16 PM
BECKETTMPDEALER

Default Guess Which Marketplace dealer got off this rant

And you wonder why I said the $150 a month was worth it just to read the
boards? This is what a prime spot marketplace dealer had to say to us today:
Like any of us care! The name has been withheld to protect the moron. Amazing
he had the time to email a threat to me after my last posts here.

WARNING! Those without an hour to spare, those who get easily agitated, or
those who have lost all hope, please stop reading right now and spare
yourselves. The following are my thoughts, and they probably won't jive with
everybody's on here.

I'll be going over a variety of topics that have been expressed on here,
expressed in phone calls that I have with a number of you, and expressed
through countless e-mails that I've been forwarded or written. Again, these are
only my thoughts and are not endorsed by anyone but myself.

First things first, I LOVE THIS BUSINESS. I love sportscards, i love sports,
I'm a big fan of the company's in this industry, and I view many of the folks
in this business as my closest of friends. Running Burbank Sportscards and
being involved in this industry for the past 25 years has made life genuinely
rewarding. I can't think of any other occupation that could get me as amped up
as running my business.

I'm a firm believer that the passion that I have both for my own business and
for this industry has helped me immensely in growing my business and achieving
success in this industry. I wake up in the morning and all I can think about is
getting into the office and "creating business". When my wife tells me that she
and the kids are going to a party on a Sunday, I'm online figuring out where
the closest card show is that I can pillage. Heck, if I weren't married and
didn't have kids, I'd just put a cot in the back of the shop.

I believe in this industry, and I believe that our vertical is one that has
endless potential for both profits and new users. I believe that every
individual who derives their livelihoods from this industry has an opportunity
to make solid livings, and with the tools and the "reach" that the Internet
affords, grow their businesses in ways in which they never deemed possible.

Now, is this industry perfect? Hell no. Are the folks who we entrust to make
the decisions that affect us all in this industry perfect? LOL!!! Is this
indutsry any different from any other in those two regards? Nope! In any
industry, those with the desire, the passion, the vision, and the abilities to
adapt thrive, and those who spend all their time grumbling about whats wrong or
doubt themselves, inevitably fail.

I'm not living in a world sporting rose colored glasses, and I'm not oblivious
to the warts that this industry has on its skin, but I'm also not going to let
the actions of others impact my business that I've worked so hard to build. I'm
going to take on any situation and figure out how the best way to capitalize on
it is. There are a lot of issues in this industry that are beyond our control
no matter how hard we fight. Below I'll point out a few glaring problems in our
industry, and how I choose to fight them and win:

1: Back door box dumping/proliferation of product: The games that are played by
both the manufacturers and the distributors in this industry would absolutely,
positively never fly in any other industry. The distribution chain is so far
out of whack, it's absolutely comical.

But I won't let it effect my company, in fact I'll take advantage of it and
allow myself both better margins and better prices for my customers. Buying
direct, prebuying, or buying from distributors has quite simply become a fools
game, as this industry doesn't have enough liquid capital or ready buyers to
support new products at cost plus a markup. It's not that the products don't
warrant the prices as believe it or not, most of the products that are released
in theory should hold their wholesale costs. It's just the sheer amount of
releases and the lack of liquid capital that bring 90% of all releases below
cost within days if not hours of release. Hell, even before release LOL!

I quit playing the shell game for the most part a year ago, and as of this week
I've cut it off completely as we'll be bringing in all product from the
secondary market. We're in the process as we speak of acquiring dozens of
releases from the past few weeks for the first time at an absolutely amazing
cost savings for both us and our customers.

Am I happy about the current distribution system? No. Is it healthy for the
industry's long term health? No. Will I let it adversely affect me and watch
tens of thousands of dollars slip away as product depreciates on my shelves
while the fools who run the supply chain play their games. Absolutely Not!

2: Pricing: Your all well aware that I'm not the least bit happy at the
direction in which the analysts choose to derive their pricing. I truly believe
that they've lost touch with what the pricing should represent, and the
problems that they are inflicting on anybody who makes a full-time living in
this industry and has the very real expenses in running a full-time hobby
business. I've made everyone from Dr. Jim on down to the receptionist aware of
the situation and I'll continue to add my 1/16 th of a cent whenever I sit down
with these friends of mine.

Now, am I going to let the actions of the pricing dpt. hurt me, or impact my
business. No way, as I'm going to take full advantage of the situation and ramp
up our buying at these new levels. We've redone our buying list to be based
more on %'s of guide instead of fixed pricing, and we're having loads of
success selling singles at these new reduced levels. Our margins are the same
if not better, we're aggressively buying, and our customers are buying like
never before as I prices seem to ggod to be true. Are these prices the true
reflection of what the market will bear? NO. Are these prices based on forces
that have NOTHING to do with the business of being a hobby professional? NO! Am
I going to let their decisions hurt my business and make me become a bitter,
spewing fool who will always blame others before accepting responsibity for
their mistakes? NO WAY!

3: Beckett.com: While this place isn't perfect, and all of the promises haven't
been delivered with the speed or impact we may have liked, one fact remains
constant, " NO OTHER COMPANY IN THIS INDUSTRY HAS DONE MORE TO EMPOWER SMALL
BUSINESS THAN BECKETT.COM" Period! And they've done so at an entry level that
has kept the bar low enough that damn near anybody can afford to play dealer
here, much to many of our chagrins.

The BMP is a place that really is a true reflection of our industry, as success
here mirrors being successful in this biz in the physical world. You must have
products that are unique to your business, you must be somewhat competitive in
price, you must advertise and lead customers to you, and you must be able to
back everything up with tight service. While Beckett's tools are revolutionary
and thei audience is immense, neither of those things will do you a damn bit of
good and you don't maximize their potential.

These boards have a funny effect on me. All the negativity, flat out stupidity,
bytching, moaning, and attacks on myself serve as a motivation and a huge pick
me up. As I know that while many of my competitors are blaming others for their
shortcomings, allowing themselves to be financially hurt by the actions of
others, and being swayed by the opinions of those who probably don't belong in
this business to begin with. I'm someone who rarely needs motivation, but the
added pick me up that these boards gives me, has done wonders for my biz.

2005 will be an interesting year for me as I plan to launch myself back into
the industry with hopes of helping to turn things around for the industry, and
with hopes of helping small business thrive again. I've been away for the past
three years and I'm looking forward to bringing the passion and excitement that
I have for my business, back to the industry. For those of you who have met me,
been to my storefront, or have seen me speak on the road, you'll know that my
messages are positive, powerful, and aimed at making this industry a better
place for all of us that earn their livings here.

Folks, don't let the negativity, the ineptitude, or the mistakes of others hurt
you anymore. Take action, take responsibility, and take advantage of all of the
competitive advantages that you and your company possess in this trying but
extremely gratifying business. And always remember how lucky you are when you
wake up in the morning and realize just how cool a job you possess.

My fingers are cramping so I must stop for now. I hope that many of you see my
points, and for those who hate, bring it on! LOL!
Old November 19th 04, 10:23 AM
MikeCouil

What did he say that:

A) Makes you believe he is a moron?
B) Makes you believe nobody cares about his opinion?

He's got some incredibly well thought out and well written ideas about the past
and future market.

Mike

Old November 20th 04, 02:48 AM
BECKETTMPDEALER

More classy commentary from the above enlightened individual who has now moved
to threats, accusations and attempts to bully other dealers. He was called out
for his lack of tact and ethics to whit he responded:

Rob Veres
The CardFather

Total Posts: 748

100,000 cards $142.00
ghetto level $149.00

Being a bitter old fool who has nothing better to do than to stir the pot and
antagonize.

Priceless!

Bobby V.

VP of BS