Tin snips, wire cutters, chisel?

Old April 21st 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mark Cooper

Default Tin snips, wire cutters, chisel?

Sure looks like post strike damage to me. In the closeup you can see the
edge lettering was struck and then the 'clip' occured.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/auction/6376974

Mark
Old April 22nd 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

It is not only post strike, but it is post edge lettering (as the US
mint edge marks after striking). It is also very apparent as the 97 in
1797 shows drag marks and metal displacement towards the inner gouge
mark. This coin had to be round to get through the edge marking
machine, a deformity of this magnatude would never get through the
feeding system. I hope the "buy it now" price is in Zimbabwae dollars,
because that is about all this error is worth.
Mishaps can happen to a coin at the mint after the strike but it is
basically impossible to prove it was done during the coining process.
I have seen coins that did not eject properly get caught between the
ram die holder tooling and the collar and/or table turning the coin
into a taco shell and other various shapes. Try to prove that it is a
minting error when anybody could stick a duplicate coin in a bench
vise and replicate the error.

Sean Moffatt
Operations manager
Hoffman Mint

Old April 22nd 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

VAM's for a Presibuck? Guess I had better go buy a copy!

Old April 22nd 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mark Cooper

Jud wrote in news:1177253482.849854.259870
@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

VAM's for a Presibuck? Guess I had better go buy a copy!

Yes, I liked that one too!

FA: 2-Days, Vintage Stanley No. 71 ½ Hand Router Tool Set with Cutters, Exc fishnet General 0 January 14th 06 03:03 AM
FA: Vintage Stanley No. 71 ½ Hand Router Tool Set with Cutters, Exc fishnet General 0 January 9th 06 01:20 AM
ms-64 / Looks like a wire brush attacked it!!! David Meadows Coins 8 May 12th 05 03:54 PM
Wire wool? note.boy Coins 4 July 5th 04 11:56 AM
Wire off 100g Doug Juke Boxes 0 August 22nd 03 03:33 AM