Michael Adams Officially Declared "Troll"

Old September 15th 03, 01:27 AM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"M. Bond" wrote:

Yikes. If you're going to bloviate, get thee to a spell checker.

Scot Kamins pecked in some version of English:

snip

Yeah, I cop to messing up on that. And I claim to educated!

Scot Kamins
--
Collecting the Modern Library 1917-1970
Modern Library Collecting Website at:
Old September 15th 03, 05:21 AM
John Pelan

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:10:57 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

"Bud Webster" wrote in message
.. .

Scot Kamins sez:

Let the Official Records be Passed Over with the Official

Spell-Checker,
and Amended Thereto.

Seconded.

Nice to hear from you, Bud.

You too, boss.

You can puff your fur out and arch your back as much as you like.

You're only ever going to count as one, on this thread Webster.

Not looking too good really, is it?

Just the usual suspects.

And the tea-boy.

michael adams

the truth is out there

Are you kin to a chap named Chris Barker?

Cheers,

John Pelan

For the best in Classic SF & Horror:
www.darksidepress.com

Old September 15th 03, 01:10 PM
Chris Barker

Oh dear. John Pelan's obvious obsession with me is still resulting in
off-topic comments in appropriate fora.

Pelan recently suggested that I must be a child molester in the
alt.books.ghost-fiction forum because I had published a chapbook entitled
PLAGAIRISM & PEDERASTY: SKELETONS IN THE JAMESIAN CLOSET, despite the fact
that such literary luminaries as Julia Briggs, Colin Wilson, Michael Cox and
Anthony Powell have all expressed similar concerns about M R James' interest
in adolescent men / boys. Indeed, James' own friends harboured similar
concerns, believing that his Lewis Carroll-style novel THE FIVE JARS 'lifted
the lid' on the 'repressed inner workings' of James' mind.

But no. Pelan brushes all this aside because one of his best mates makes a
living out of selling M R James books, and he accuses me of being a child
molester. Plus he voices much resentment at my having discovered the
important source tale for THE ASH-TREE.

Pelan's obsession with me has resulted in the formation of the abusive Yahoo
discussion forum "Hoppy Toadly", where he and a small band of decent-minded
people make jokes about my urinating on people, or smacking their bottoms.
All very odd, all very obsessive.

Pelan has also levelled a series of serious false allegations at me in
newsnet groups, including the claim that I was dismissed from ABE (a lie)
and that I often visited the house of an elderly genre authority, Richard
Dalby, to cheat him out of rare books (another lie: I've never been anywhere
near his house, and have actually supplied him with far more books than he
has supplied me). In fact, tracking back over five years, Pelan has made a
series of ridiculous allegations that vary between the obscene and the
laughable. He picks up the silliest bit of gossip, leaps to gigantically
silly conclusions, then dashes off to spray insults around like a skunk
marking his territory.

I now see that he is obsessing on the 'troll' allegation. This, from a man
who has set up an abusive discussion forum. This, from a man who posted so
offensively in a Yahoo site entitled Ghost Stories that it resulted in it's
censure. This, from a man who has been criticised by normally meek and quiet
residents of the ghost-fiction site for abusive behaviour and for revelling
in online combat.

It is no great coincidence that John Pelan has laid to waste the
alt.books.ghost-fiction site. He has done so under the flag of attacking me.
I am a troll, he says. Of course it must be true..of course it can have
nothing to do with the fact that he is a small press publisher who has set
up two rival ghost story discussion groups at Yahoo, and wants to shepherd
prospective ghost story-buying customers into his own discussions pens,
could it?

It is very odd that Pelan dare accuse others of trollery or sock-puppetry.
Not only does he populate his message board at Midnight House with all
manner of strange sock-puppets, but we had to evict him from the Yahoo group
"Robert Aickman" when he sneaked in under an alias and started causing
trouble (in the form of abusive emails).

No, Mr John Pelan is clearly a man obsessed. As the publisher of sadistic
horror novels, he seems to be living out one fantasy too far. I am plain
Chris Barker, an occasional small press publisher / writer / editor /
collector, and I am not nor have I ever been Michael Adams. True, I once
made the fatal mistake of questioning the content of Midnight House books,
and querying the journalistic stranglehold that Pelan and Chris Roden have
over discussion sites and genre journals, which coincidentally appears to
have resulted in Mr Pelan's constant ankle-nipping.

I'd never have intruded upon this usually sensible group had it not been for
Mr Pelan's pathological insistence of attacking me once again. I have
steered well clear of the group after being warned in no uncertain way by
Messrs Roden / Anderson / Pelan / Paghat that they would all gang up on me
and get me ejected should I ever dare to return to this newsgroup (so
confident are they of being able to rouse a lynching party).

(You can find an amusing post in alt.books.ghost-fiction titled THE
WITCHFINDER GENERAL that parodies this whole situation.)

Chris Barker
The Haunted River

Over Five Years Selling At ABE
www.abebooks.com

Small Press Publisher
www.users.waitrose.com/~hauntedriver

Review of 'The Dreams Of Cardinal Vittorini' by Reggie Oliver
"This, the first collection by the playwright nephew and biographer of
Stella Gibbons, could almost be a lost book from the days when the English
ghost story was generally restrained yet contained nuggets of horror. The
style is urbane and witty, the authorial personality cultured and observant,
and the roots of the tales are in the great tradition of the genre." Ramsey
Campbell

Old September 15th 03, 02:00 PM
Hardy-Boys.net

"michael adams" wrote
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Oh dear HTML as well !

Originally at least.

Yet Another Gross Violation of the FAQ !

1.3 What Kind of Posts are Inappropriate?
Messages that use MIME, HTML, or any other format
besides plain ASCII text. [Lawrence Person]

A URL is not HTML.

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old September 15th 03, 04:14 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Bob Finnan wrote:

Ms Walker did far more than say "something to the effect that a thread

like
rec.flame.michael adams is at best unconstructive"
She started her own little (lame) flame war with me.

Well, nothing wrong with that, surely? I thought that was part of an
initiation into rcb! She didn't subscribe to Michael Adams's views, did she?

However, if you consider "rec.flame.michael adams" "unconstructive"...

Yes, I do. Spouting torrents of abuse is hardly ever really constructive,
Bob - though I have done it myself sometimes and do concede that it's nice
to let off steam on occasion. But I can't think of any cases where doing so
improved the situation.

...and "a form of bullying"...

I'm not saying it's necessarily a form of bullying - there are perhaps
people who will only get the message if they are abused, and even some who
might enjoy it - but it certainly can be.

Still, I'm not in any position to throw stones here. I've wasted hours
trying to use logic, reason and polite argument on the guy, and he's *still*
posting crap!

I'd like to know what makes this thread, of which you
are an active participant, any different?

What Scot's doing in this thread is fundamentally different. In calling
Michael Adams a troll he's declaring him to be a negative force in this
newsgroup. That's not being abusive or bullying, it's merely stating what
has become perfectly obvious.

Personally, that use of the word troll isn't one I particularly like. I'd
like for there to be two words - "troll" for those who set out to wind
people up and disrupt newsgroups just for the hell of it and something else
for people who didn't actually set out with that intent, but nevertheless
end up that way. The former just do it for kicks (no emotional investment
involved), the latter are emotionally caught up in the situation (which is
one more reason why I wouldn't subscribe to a thread dedicated to abusing
that person). I may be wrong about this, but to me Adams comes across as the
latter type.

Still, for better or worse, "troll" is the word people will understand, and
I'll subscribe to that definition of him in a way that I wouldn't subscribe
to, say, "smelly poopypants" or "petrified dog excrement". Call me
pernickety, but that's the way I am!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old September 15th 03, 09:13 PM
Hardy-Boys.net

Can we all just put him on our respective kill files and be done with that
idiot once and for all?
I just feel bad for Google Groups users who don't have kill file capability.
This is my last post on the subject of michael "the moron" adams.
PLONK

Old September 15th 03, 09:52 PM
Giltedge04

(Everything Snipped)

Please!!! All you are all doing is feeding the troll!! If you dont feed the
darned thing eventually it will shut up and die of starvation.

Stan,
Giltedge Books, Chelmsford UK
No trendy link to website available
Old September 16th 03, 06:22 AM
colishe

"paghat" wrote in message
om...
This definition of a troll reposted in behalf of its author, Michael
Adams

Seton 1909, Lives of Game Animals, volume 2,
Bears, Badgers, Skunks, Trolls and Weasels.

Family: Troll
Species Usenetus
subspecies nolifeias and needclueias

Since they vary in appearance they are most easily identified by their
habits and odor. Although some are territorial, many trolls tend to wander
away from their bridges. There is slight danger, as they are quite spooky
and will flee
back under their span at any sign of confrontation.

Subspecies:
The population of the needclueias subspecies rapidly returns into
hibernation
at the first sign of adversity, and so the are scarce out of season.

The subspecies nolifeias is more over populated, requiring more attention
for vermin control.
A few stand and act frightful, but it is always bluff and they too
eventually retreat.
They get frustrated easily when challenged and attack dead equines,
beating them unmercifully, seemingly unaware of the futility of their
effort.

Population control:
A few trolls are more ugly or aggressive with their nocturnal activities
and less amusing, it is a good idea to eliminate them from the gene pool.
Preferred trap is the kill pit, no bait is required.

Precaution when trapping and handling:

The scatology of trolls is especially strange and highly odoriferous. Use
care, they will throw it around at times, but then often miss their
targets and hit their own den, in other terms, "the **** hits the span".

Colishe
(apologies to Seton...)

Old September 16th 03, 03:13 PM
Ramsey Campbell

"Chris Barker" wrote in message ...

Pelan recently suggested that I must be a child molester in the
alt.books.ghost-fiction forum because I had published a chapbook entitled
PLAGAIRISM & PEDERASTY: SKELETONS IN THE JAMESIAN CLOSET, despite the fact
that such literary luminaries as Julia Briggs, Colin Wilson, Michael Cox and
Anthony Powell have all expressed similar concerns about M R James' interest
in adolescent men / boys. Indeed, James' own friends harboured similar
concerns, believing that his Lewis Carroll-style novel THE FIVE JARS 'lifted
the lid' on the 'repressed inner workings' of James' mind.

But no. Pelan brushes all this aside because one of his best mates makes a
living out of selling M R James books...

Which mate is this? You aren't usually so shy of naming names. In any
case, I don't see why you're implying that your chapbook would harm
their sales. Did Lewis Carroll's sales figures diminish once people
started speculating about his interest in young girls? For that
matter, wasn't LOLITA Nabokov's best-selling book by far? And didn't
you complain online (quite mistakenly, in my view) that the British
Film Institute had had Kim Newman suggest that the film WHISTLE AND
I'LL COME TO YOU had a sexual subtext in order to increase sales of
their DVD?

You've skipped over the point that the title of your chapbook
unambiguously leads people to assume James was a child molester. I
know he's dead, but the insult is the same.

As I recall, you made it public that you wouldn't be sending review
copies of the chapbook to ALL HALLOWS (the journal of the Ghost Story
Society, edited by Barbara and Christopher Roden) or GHOSTS AND
SCHOLARS (the site devoted to the work of M. R. James, run by Rosemary
Pardoe, who I take to be someone else who has offended you). It seems
odd to publish a deliberately controversial essay (originally
announced for the second issue of your journal) and then refuse to
send it to publications where it would be discussed in knowledgable
detail. Since you cite them as authorities, have Michael Cox and Julia
Briggs received copies from you? I should be interested to learn what
they thought.

Ramsey Campbell