The Amazing World of Books

Old September 11th 03, 10:45 PM
Bob F.

"Alfred Armstrong" wrote
...you half-a-potato...

Now that was uncalled for!

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page
http://www.Hardy-Boys.net
New & Out Of Print Books, Books-On-Tape, Videos, DVDs, CD-ROMs For Sale
http://users.arczip.com/fwdixon/hbsale.htm
To reply: replace nospam with fwdixon
.................................................. ....................

Old September 11th 03, 11:18 PM
Htn963

Alfred Armstrong wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in news:bjqfpl$mdj6e$1
:

"Alfred Armstrong" wrote in message

Whatever you say, sweety. I'm just in wuv with your cute ickle face.

Pathetic.

Now I've got you, you moron. Did you not see my clever irony? Why, you
blathering nincompoop, you echo of a weasel's spoor, you methanol-
breathed bin-raider, you toad, you empty vessel, you vile thing found
decaying on a beach, you definition of nothing, you chattering upright
corpse, you pimple, you ****-caked arse, you limpet, you answer to the
question: What would be worse? you half-a-potato, you painted jackass,
you coagulate of flyspit, you licker of bicycle seats, you poodle****er,
you damp patch on a toilet wall, you armpit, you revolving door, you wag-
a-tail, you mushroom, you mental minority, you jonas, you evacuation, you
one-too-many, you loose personage, you plate-scraper, you codfish, you
rotter, you pasty-faced pretender to the throne of Nitwittia, you lug.

Guys, guys, there is no honor in making fun of the mentally ill. Every
village has one and this fellow happens to be it, so let's just leave him be.

Nighty-night!

Indeed.

--
Ht

|Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore
never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
--John Donne, "Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions"|
Old September 11th 03, 11:30 PM
paghat

@ID-206475.news.uni-berlin.de:

[...]

Since irony is the art of saying the opposite of what you mean, are you
saying you're in love with Michael who is so wise & well-tanned & a
prancing stallion?

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old September 11th 03, 11:32 PM
Bob F.

"michael adams" wrote
Ah look!

Another turd floats to the surface, for its moment in the sun.

You really shouldn't be so hard on yourself, you festering gob of camel
vomit, you lickspittle, you inane drone, you toffee-nosed twit, you
suppurating pustule, you inflamed hemorrhoid, you turnip, you breath of a
thousand rectums, you burning discharge, why I oughta....

Old September 12th 03, 01:26 AM
Bud Webster

"Bob F." sez:

Anyone missing a stick?

Why, yes, Bob, I am indeed missing a stick. Now, where did I
put....Oh, never mind, I found it. It's stuck up Michael Adams' ass.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll
Old September 12th 03, 01:28 AM
Bud Webster

"Bob F." sez:

"michael adams" wrote
Ah look!

Another turd floats to the surface, for its moment in the sun.

You really shouldn't be so hard on yourself, you festering gob of camel
vomit, you lickspittle, you inane drone, you toffee-nosed twit, you
suppurating pustule, you inflamed hemorrhoid, you turnip, you breath of a
thousand rectums, you burning discharge, why I oughta....

Now now, Bob. Remember your blood pressure.

Besides, you left out "knucklehead."

Old September 12th 03, 02:05 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

paghat wrote:

irony is the art of saying the opposite of what you mean

Not up to your usual standards, Paghat! Perhaps this kind of half-baked
definition is to blame for the widely-believed idea that Americans don't
"do" irony. Irony is *not* - necessarily - the art of saying the opposite
what you mean. It *can* be that - as when Mark Anthony says "Brutus is an
honourable man" - but that is only one *type* of irony. When Jane Austen
opens her novel with the words "Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever and
rich..." she doesn't actually mean that Emma is ugly, stupid and poor. And
when Swift makes his "modest proposal" that the English should eat Irish
babies that does not translate as an *immodest* proposal that the English
should *not* eat Irish babies.

It would be more correct to say that irony is the art of saying something
*different* from what you mean (which might be the opposite, but could
equally well be something else).

Disclaimer: These comments in no way imply any agreement with or endorsement
of views expressed elsewhere in this thread!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old September 12th 03, 02:59 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

I wrote:

Disclaimer: These comments in no way imply any agreement
with or endorsement of views expressed elsewhere in this thread!

michael adams wrote:

chicken

Tut tut! After your passionate defence of pigeons I would have thought you'd
be above using birds' names as insults.

Well, since I'm getting insulted anyway, here's my take on this thread, for
what it's worth...

When Michael Adams wrote:

If you weren't so unutterably thick Mr Armstrong you'd at least
try and personalise the material a bit, by putting the OP's name
in it, and maybe make it a bit more specific. And then possibly
it wouldn't look quite as pathetic as it does.

So Mr Armstrong, it seems that you really are as stupid, as you at
first appear. So stupid in fact, that not only are you incapable of
stringing together more than three or four words of invective of
your very own, but are instead reduced to stealing other people's.
So where's it from then Mr Armstrong ? "The Whimpering Sissies Book
of Getting Even" ? But not only that, you're so much of a cretinous
dickhead, that you never even thought of trying to cover your tracks.
Did you, eh moron?

Jon replied:

*Lots of crap snipped*

I almost find it hard to believe that YOU felt the urge to remind me
of what kind of group this is. Your words seem to lose their weight.

I still look forward, however, to meaningful discussions on book
collecting. That was it, right?

Quite.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old September 12th 03, 09:40 AM
Jon Fredrik Stuestøl

"michael adams" wrote in message

Which crap Mr Stuestøl?

Take a close look on which post i replied to...

My quite reasonable request for you to keep your descriptions of
your kiling of defenceless animals off this newsgroup?

Clearly not, see above.

That isn't crap Mr Stuestøl.

That happens to be a deeply held conviction of mine.

And I certainly respect that.

Are you noramlly in the habit of describing other peoples deeply
held convictions as *crap* then, Mr Stuestøl?

No, and not in this thread either.

*Snip*

I almost find it hard to believe that YOU felt the urge to remind me
of what kind of group this is. Your words seem to lose their weight.

Well I have no intention of allowing myself to be being insulted
by idiots on this Ng or anywhere else Mr Stuestøl! And I would remind
you, that I didn't start any of this.

That might be so.

And if I chose to defend myself in any way I choose, then that's none
of you're damned business, to be quite honest with you.

I see your point, but I don't quite agree with you. I respect your opinions
on hunting, and your statement too. The only problem is that you are not at
all sticking to the topic of this group either, and this way your correction
of my behaviour does seem a bit misplaced. Even if we don't share the same
view on hunting.

Possibly your code of honour is different in Norway Mr Stuestøland.

That might be. I do not know too much about the differences betweeen Norway
and Britain (Is it?). I don't think that is an issue here, though. As far as
I can see, you were insulted by the fact that i called the quarrel between
Mr Armstrong and you "crap". I admit that it was a bad word to use, but you
clearly demonstrated that you thought I referred to your convictions, and
not to what I repiled to. I do understand that it seemed like a deep insult,
then.

If the misspelling of my last name is intentional, I did not get the point.
If it is unintentional, it is quite ok, most people can't spell it
correctly, even here.

And so you're more accustomed to allowing people to walk all over
you, and subject you to totally unsolicted, gratuitous insults.
Without seeking to defend yourself in any way. Well I'm not, like
that I'm afraid. And I wasn't brought up to think that way.

Neither did I.

And the fact that I chose to defend myself when insulted, has nothing
whatseover to do with my quite reasonable request for you to your keep
your descriptions of your killing of defenceless animals off of this
Newsgroup

That is of course a point. I have tried to explain my point above.

And so I'd thank you to keep your patronising and misdirected remarks
to yourself. And to not describe my convictions as *crap*.

I clearly will not, and have not, described your convictions as crap. You
have to look again. Take a close look at what i snipped.

thank you

You're welcome.
And thank you.

--
Jon Fredrik Stuestøl

Old September 12th 03, 11:49 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Jon Fredrik Stuest$BM(B wrote [snip lots of perfectly reasonable stuff that I
quite agree with]:

If the misspelling of my last name is intentional, I did not get the

point.
If it is unintentional, it is quite ok, most people can't spell it
correctly, even here.

I'm afraid I don't even know how your name is spelt; my e-mail programme
(which is set to read English and Japanese) just renders anything after
"Suest" as a small square dot. I just copy and paste it, square dot and all.
I've no idea how that comes out on other people's software!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com