Smart people stop using cent coins

Old November 2nd 03, 02:20 PM
Bob Peterson

"Fred" wrote in message
Agreed,
I use them everyday. I throw a few into my pocket with the rest of my
change when I leave the house in the morning.

Fred

Every now and then I use them for tolls. I like heraing the machine click
away trying to count them.

"Allen McBroom" wrote in message
. 97.132...
Let the newsgroup scroll proclaim that (JSTONE9352)
scribed upon its pages in news:20031031173325.06825.00000038@mb-
m23.aol.com:
. The govt. keeps making them
but not many people really use them
on a daily basis.

As a merchant, I use them every day, making change. Many people
really do use them on a regular basis.

--
Allen McBroom
www.NPSTKD.com

Old November 3rd 03, 01:23 AM
Bob Flaminio

Dr. Richard L. Hall wrote:
But I do that with all my change. Maybe we should round to the
nearest dollar, then. I haven't heard a convincing argument yet why
the cent should be eliminated. It's the same old sorry arguments.

What would it take to convince you? I'm not going to go through the same
old arguments again, but I do wonder: are there any circumstances that
would consider an appropriate reason to eliminate the one cent coin?

--
Bob

Old November 3rd 03, 01:26 AM
Bob Flaminio

David Hollister wrote:
Strike US commems all you want, but I hope they never change the face
of US money.

Really, David? You want Abe, Tom, Frank, and George to grace our coinage
forever?

--
Bob

Old November 3rd 03, 01:27 AM
Bob Flaminio

Serenus Zeitblom wrote:
Having 8 different denominations in circulation is just one of the
things that makes numismatic life in Europe so much fun. In the US we
only have 4 [in practice] and you want to reduce that to 3?

Actually, I'd like to stay at 4 -- kill the cent, and make the dollar
coin circulate by killing the rag-buck.

--
Bob

Old November 3rd 03, 01:28 AM
Bob Flaminio

From: "Fred Shecter"

http://www.expatica.com/index.asp?pad=2,18,&item_id=35383
How about the USA?

Didja notice the idea was to round "up" on all items?

Yes, rounding up every transaction is a bona fide stupid idea. Rounding
to the nearest nickel, OTOH, makes sense.

--
Bob

Old November 3rd 03, 04:20 AM
Allen McBroom

Let the newsgroup scroll proclaim that "Dr. Richard L. Hall"
scribed upon its pages in
ink.net:

But I do that with all my change. Maybe we should round to the
nearest dollar, then. I haven't heard a convincing argument yet why
the cent should be eliminated. It's the same old sorry arguments.

Round to the nearest dollar? Please! I have enough grief as it
is. People here count cents, and if I round up, the customer will
complain he's paying too much. If merchants round down, they'll complain
it's hard enough to survive as it is.
Cents may seem inconsequential, but in today's economy, where
profit is measured in single percentage points (in most cases), they are
viewed as the difference between paying the bills and bankruptcy.
Besides, what would you do on sales of 76 cents? Ask the customer
to pay 25 cents (a full third) more? Believe me, LOTS of sales are in
that range.
Even rounding to the nearest nickel would generate ire.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:33 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
Dr. Richard L. Hall wrote:
But I do that with all my change. Maybe we should round to the
nearest dollar, then. I haven't heard a convincing argument yet why
the cent should be eliminated. It's the same old sorry arguments.

What would it take to convince you? I'm not going to go through the same
old arguments again, but I do wonder: are there any circumstances that
would consider an appropriate reason to eliminate the one cent coin?

Merchants could price everything to the nearest nickel. But you would still
have sales tax. And, IMHO, until you eliminate the sales tax, there will be
a need for a cent. And, I think you'll see pigs fly before the sales tax is
eliminated.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:57 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Yes, rounding up every transaction is a bona fide stupid idea. Rounding
to the nearest nickel, OTOH, makes sense.

The latter is exactly what is done in Finland and is now discussed in
the Netherlands. (Except maybe that we don't call the 5 cent coins
"nickels" g.) No idea where this interpretation of "rounding up" comes
from ...

Christian
Old November 3rd 03, 04:09 PM
Fred Shecter

Obviously you did not read the article.

http://www.expatica.com/index.asp?pa...&item_id=35383

The stupid people trying to whip up fear are telling gullible folks that all the rounding
will be "up". This is a lie. It will be basic, simple rounding to the nearest 5 cents and
it will be equally up and down - resulting in ZERO difference in the long run.

They teach this in grade school. Little children can understand it.

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

From: "Fred Shecter"

http://www.expatica.com/index.asp?pad=2,18,&item_id=35383
How about the USA?

Didja notice the idea was to round "up" on all items?

Won't work here. If the retailers round all totals up to the next nickel,
they'll gain complaints and lose customers. Then the next wave of popular 'fad
ads' would be: "We Don't Stiff OUR Customers By Rounding"

Now, if all merchants rounded "down", then you might have a chance. BUT then,
some corporate flunky will tell the bosses how many thousands of dollars in
revenue they're losing by down-rounding, and that will be that.

8-/
Coin Saver

Old November 3rd 03, 05:33 PM
Joe Fischer

On 03 Nov 2003 "Dr. Richard L. Hall" wrote:

"Bob Flaminio" wrote:
Dr. Richard L. Hall wrote:
But I do that with all my change. Maybe we should round to the
nearest dollar, then. I haven't heard a convincing argument yet why
the cent should be eliminated. It's the same old sorry arguments.

What would it take to convince you? I'm not going to go through the same
old arguments again, but I do wonder: are there any circumstances that
would consider an appropriate reason to eliminate the one cent coin?

Merchants could price everything to the nearest nickel. But you would still
have sales tax. And, IMHO, until you eliminate the sales tax, there will be
a need for a cent. And, I think you'll see pigs fly before the sales tax is
eliminated.

Probably so, and it is likely that any "laws" about rounding
could be considered to diminish "States Rights".

The liberals in Washington may want to increase federal
control "to make things utopian for everybody, but thank the
Constitution for States Rights and freedom from interference
in commerce and trade.

Joe Fischer

US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Coin grading/authentication services -- periodic post Linda Coins 6 August 8th 03 06:25 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM