Gold prices plummet!

Old September 24th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Gold prices plummet!

oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 5:29 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 5:15 pm, oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 5:10 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:

oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:57 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:00 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 12:47 pm, "The Giant Brain"
wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com...

"j-rod" wrote in message

September 24, 1869

Gold prices plummet

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...rticle&id=6117

JAM

Hello

The good news is crude oil also dropped.

You can check the spot trade price on Bloomberg at the
links below. It is now showing at $998.70.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/com.../cfutures.html

Folks, we have a contender for most clueless response to a
post. Shall we close the nominations now and all acclaim
Arizona Coin Collector the
winner?- Hide quoted text -

Well, it's the stupidest RCC response since the "Giant Brain"
expounded with ultimate authority that that nice 1841 British
Gold Sovereign was worth melt, or about $225 - not the 8,000
pounds that it catalogs at.

So it's the stupidest response in about three weeks.

All this argument is meaningless to me, having just lost my
entire nest egg due to this latest gold crash. This could be
my last post, because I can see someone pounding at my front
door, yelling something about how he's going to repo my
computer, and he's got a U.S. Marshal with him.

James the Homeless- Hide quoted text -

Jay Gould survived the 1869 debacle for many many years - and
died rather old and still rich.

You will too, mon vieux.

They don't repo computers. Used computer is worth three cents
on the dollar to the finance company. They will harass you for
the money to the fullest extent they can get away with - but
remember, they don't want the computer back, ever.

Whew, it was just a couple of my neighbors from down the street
pulling a prank. Now I can get back to my Scrooge McDuck
roleplay.

James the Miser- Hide quoted text -

Scrooge McDuck had his money bin full of both gold and
greenbacks. Wouldn't a real dyed-in-the-wool miser have had only
gold???

He uses the gold to fill the tub for his bath. The greenbacks are
carried to leave a dollar tip for waiters.

James the Stiff- Hide quoted text -

Scrooge is a Scotsman!!! NO WAY would he be leaving a whole dollar
for the waiters!!!

Hughey, Dewey and Louie were lucky to get a quarter apiece from the
old fart on their birthdays!!!

oly

Some 19th century American miser (I believe the fellow might have
been a lawyer too) issued a token (or something exo-numismatic)
that said "Never Trust a Paper Dollar Until Tommorrow".- Hide
quoted text -

In all fairness to Scrooge McDuck, that birthday quarter went a lot
further back then - maybe as many as five candy bars (or perhaps
three candy bars plus some penny candy and Bazooka bubble gum).

No kidding. Just the other day, as I plunked four quarters in a
vending machine for a Three Musketeers, I mentioned to a Sweet Young
Thing standing there that I used to get one for a nickel. Candy bar,
I'm talking about.

James the Generous- Hide quoted text -

Sweets for the Sweet.

I can remember five cent first class stamps, but I might be stretching
it a bit to say that I really remember the five cent candy bar. Even
at age seven or eight (c.1967) we were just a bit past that on the
long march of U.S. monetary inflation.

You're just a whippersnapper, then. When I used to send first-class letters
to my aunt, I used 3c stamps. They were purple and had the Statue of
Liberty on them. I also used to buy bottles of Coke at the corner store for
5c - until that awful day when the price was raised 20% in one swell foop,
to 6c. My budget was in ruins for a long time after that.

I always admired the inventor fellow in the Scrooge McDuck series -
Gyro Gearloose or some name like that???

That's the guy!

Huey, Dewey and Louie were a little bratty, 'tho basically good boys.
They were a little bit like Popeye's "Swee' Pea" - whose the heck kids
were they, anyway???

They belonged to Donald's twin sister Della. The kids allegedly committed
reckless homicide of their Dad in a fireworks accident.

James Howard the Duck

Old September 24th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

oly- Hide quoted text -

And now for something completely different..

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aBG26d6aO25U

Heh. It wasn't that awfully long ago that being an investment banker
virtually guaranteed a guy that he'd have babes hanging all over him.

James the Babe Magnet

Old September 25th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:

wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com....

"j-rod" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

James the Babe Magnet- Hide quoted text -

I believe that "Giglobubu" has some potential as a label for the
period still ahead of us.

I like the author's comparison of a financial collapse to a "rockfall"
in a old-fashioned real metals mine.

Didn't Scrooge McDuck did have a couple of rare coins, but he culled
them from circulation??? - he certainly would never have paid a
premium to a coin dealer...

oly
Old September 25th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

In most of the depictions that I remember, he mostly had coins. Mountainous
piles of them, loose and in bags. In one comic book episode the vault was
almost overflowing with 1916 SLQs. In an interesting nod to numismatics,
Scrooge had almost finished cornering the market on them and was ecstatic at
his coup. I was delighted to see that a comic book character even knew
about the scarcity of the 1916 SLQ, to which a 9-year-old could only aspire
and dream about.

Old September 25th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

and dream about.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, the 1916 SLQ to which 50 year-olds can mostly only aspire to
and dream about...

But still, did Scrooge pay a premium for them??? It would have been
most out of his Scotch character...

oly
Old September 25th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

"oly" wrote in message

Well, it's the stupidest RCC response since the "Giant Brain"
expounded with ultimate authority that that nice 1841 British Gold
Sovereign was worth melt, or about $225 - not the 8,000 pounds that it
catalogs at.

So it's the stupidest response in about three weeks.

oly

Hello Oly

My "shot gun" response was from the "subject line' and not
responding to the actual link that was provided. In this case,
I should have stop and viewed the link first. I often run a link
through either Google, or Yahoo to make sure the link is safe
to go to. Depending if you have MacAfee or Norton, you
get a report on a link to see if it is safe. You see a green check
arrow beside the link indicating it is safe.

As for your remarks above on "1841 British Gold Sovereign",
I did check out the remarks dated 09/01/09 (see below).
The first posting on "Gold Sovereign" was dated on 07/19/09.

A dealer would probably try to get them for bullion value (.2354 troy oz
each). At recent gold values (about $950/oz) each coin has about $225
in gold value. OTOH, eBay has listing fees, final value fees and the
inevitable Paypal fees *which really add up (probably around $15-$20
for each coin). I don't think the coins are all that rare in the condition
you describe - I've *bought circulated young head Vickies for around
melt in the past. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Essentially I was running some interference on your behalf, AZ.
Indeed, you really should have read the article. You were only 140
years off this time.

As for the time factor elapsed since el Brainiac's giant boner, "my
how time flies when you are having fun".

oly
Old September 25th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

That vieux canard (some would say connard) écossais learned his lesson the
hard way when Daisy deep-sixed the old flatulence for tipping a quarter
one time at Maxim's. Ever since then he's been gazing from afar while his
lady love cavorts with his no-good nephew Donald.

James the Cartoonist

I trust that this is an accurate recitation of the event and not some foul
quackery in the form of a canard canard?

- mazorj
"Cognates and puns conflated while you wait."

Old September 25th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

"Cognates and puns conflated while you wait."- Hide quoted text -

It's pretty difficult to catch James mistaking something factual from
the history of Paris - if it happened at Maxim's, he's probably "right
on the money".

oly

oly
Old September 25th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

Normally, though, what happens at Maxim's stays at Maxim's.

James, 3, Rue Royale