Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

Old June 9th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Bible coin -- Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
On Jun 5, 12:49?pm, RF wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:41?pm, "Brian Oakley" wrote:

I agree Jerry. ?The ones persecuting him dont understand that he does it
because he loves them and and cares about what happens to them. They
have a
right to what ever religion they choose, but handing out a coin with a
Bible
verse on it is hardly forcing them to convert. Ill be praying for this
soldier.

He disobeyed a standing order in a war zone.
At MINIMUM he should spend some time in the stockade, where he will
hopefully learn how to follow orders.
Were I in command, I'd give him a dishonorable discharge and a few
years (5 at least) in Ft. Leavenworth to repent.

Well, well, well, Bob. You know NOTHING about military justice (or
lack of it, depending on your point of view). And before you go
spouting off about what I know about military justice, I'll just say I
was a Navy paralegal for 21 YEARS!

1. I doubt there is a standing order about religion. I'm not saying
there isn't, I just doubt there is.

2. In the Marines (and the Navy), it's called a brig, not a stockade
(that's the Army).

3. Were you in command, you'd know you can't give him a Dishonorable
Discharge. That is a sentence of a General Court-Martial alone, and
then only for selected offenses.

I stand by my original response. It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

The issue here is not belief in God. The issue is proselytizing in His name
to a captive audience. Would you want me, a public school teacher, talking
to your kids about Jesus?

James

Old June 9th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

On Jun 5, 12:49?pm, RF wrote:
[...]

Especially not if you were assigned to monitoring the hallways of a
non-Christian school at the time.

Some people are so eager to react to any perceived slight to their personal
religious beliefs that they often respond from the hip before bothering to
read or understand the details of what they're responding to.

Old June 9th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

On Jun 5, 12:49?pm, RF wrote:
[...]

When one wishes the government to assist in the propping up of his faith, it
is a sure sign that his faith is tenuous. The vaccine against this malady
is to develop a personal faith that can stand on its own.

James

Old June 9th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jun 8, 5:22*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
I stand by my original response. *It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. *Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

The marine should be handed over to Muslim authorities so they can
tear him to pieces.

Old June 9th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message

I stand by my original response. It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

Come on, Jerry...he's not being punished for believing in God, and you know
it.

Old June 9th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

wrote in message
On Jun 8, 5:22 pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
I stand by my original response. It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

The marine should be handed over to Muslim authorities so they can
tear him to pieces.

Are you sure you're not "collector666"? And before noteboy gets all up in my
grill, so to speak...yes, I know he's a troll.

Old June 9th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message

Hmmm. I don't know what -that- was..but I didn't write it. Whatever it
wasn't.

Old June 9th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article , "Honus"
wrote:

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
..
.

[snip]

Well, well, well, Bob. You know NOTHING about military justice (or
lack of it, depending on your point of view). And before you go
spouting off about what I know about military justice, I'll just say I
was a Navy paralegal for 21 YEARS!

1. I doubt there is a standing order about religion. I'm not saying
there isn't, I just doubt there is.

CNN reports that a "coalition spokesman" sez there is ...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...ble/index.html

# "Regulations prohibit members of the coalition force from
# proselytizing any religion, faith or practices," said Col.
# Bill Buckner, a coalition spokesman. "Our troops are trained
# on those guidelines before they deploy."
#
# A military statement said "appropriate action" will be taken if the
# reports are substantiated.

2. In the Marines (and the Navy), it's called a brig, not a stockade
(that's the Army).

3. Were you in command, you'd know you can't give him a Dishonorable
Discharge. That is a sentence of a General Court-Martial alone, and
then only for selected offenses.

I stand by my original response. It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

There is a quite a difference between believing in God
and proselytizing ... as far as I can tell, there is no
prohibition on the former, but there is on the latter ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old June 9th 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Honus" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Jun 8, 5:22 pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
I stand by my original response. It's a sad day when believing in
God, by whatever Name you want to call Him, is grounds to be
punished. Soundes like the governments in the Muslim world, doesn't
it?

The marine should be handed over to Muslim authorities so they can
tear him to pieces.

Are you sure you're not "collector666"? And before noteboy gets all up in
my grill, so to speak...yes, I know he's a troll.

Well spotted. :-) Billy

Coins of the Bible Jump Master[_2_] Coins 8 January 4th 08 02:39 AM
Value of old German Bible drhender Books 3 May 23rd 06 04:23 PM
Antique Bible chattykathy Books 2 October 27th 05 03:55 AM
1543 Bible Dick Stephens Books 1 July 28th 03 05:43 PM