what else do you collect?

Old May 27th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
David Farmer

Default what else do you collect?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 27, 8:49 am, wrote:
I collect chemical elements as well. I think it is a fun set of
things to collect, *almost* finite, but as others have mentioned, the
artificial elements are not obtainable. In fact, most of my 'coin'
collecting is actually element collecting... (I am into paper money
more than coins, but I mainly read this newsgroup cuz the paper money
one has very little traffic.) E.g. I have a couple of 1/10 oz bullion
coins for Au and Pt, a bigger one for Ag. I also just discovered that
many fairly recent Canadian coins are pure nickel, and so now I have
the goal of a set of each type of pure nickel coin that Canada has
issued. I think this will be fun, and inexpensive - nobody cares much
about nickel. My local coin shop had some circulated Canadian
quarters for sale cheap, so I bought 100 of them, and my latest
element sample is a jar of nickel coins. It is fun buying coins for
their metal content at 10-15 cents each.

- Mark

i remember seeing russian palladium coins offered several years ago.
whatever happened with those? i bet they're nice and pricey now!

ras

I just saw some Canada Maple palladium 1 once coins go for about $300 on
eBay..........

Dave

Old May 27th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Ahnen

It is claimed that turkeys are not too bright, but my daughter claims
that the guinea fowl makes the turkey look like a genius.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

I can't really comment about the intelligence of the birds, we just have
them. The guineas march around in groups and eat bugs, which is great.
They are also very fierce. My 2 year-old grandson tried to catch one of the
babies (keet) the other day and was attacked and knocked down by one of the
mothers. I warned him about that.

We had the second nest hatch out today so we have about 30 guinea babies
running in the yard. If we are lucky we may have 10 of the babies reach
maturity.

Next up - the peahen who is sitting on 6 eggs.

John

Old May 27th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
news
Hmmmm Besides coins, I have a small stamp collection that has been
neglected for over 30 years. I hesitate to get back into that because of
the expense and the lack of knowledge.

Another active collection is firearms. Wanda and I try to buy a couple
guns
a year, which is pretty easy for us since we have a good friend who has a
gun shop (Dave's Guns and Guy Stuff). If he gets something in that he
thinks I might like he will set it aside until I show up. He also allows
layaways which is nice. I never know what will catch my fancy, normally
it
is just something that I do not have one of. The guns range from a civil
war era S&W revolver (3 examples), a WWII Japanese sniper rifle (from Dad)
to modern stuff, like the Glocks (which I also carry at work).

Another collection, which at times seems like controls me, are barnyard
fowl. Chickens, turkeys, peafowl and guineas, which are multiplying out
of
control. They seem to be collecting us!!! Anybody need chickens? They
can
be shipped overnight, at least within the US I think.

Finally, I am always on the lookout for memorabilia concerning Admiral
Hyman
G. Rickover, the Father of the Nuclear Navy. Being a retired sailor of
the
nuclear power bent, he is an idol of mine. I have a couple items with his
signature, and some of the medals(?) issued by the mint to honor his 63,
yes
63 years of active service to our great country.

Sorry, but ras asked.

John

"Buckwheat!" You can keep the guineas. Noisey things!

I seem to collect dead radio control airplane parts, but not on purpose.
mk

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert
Einstein
wrote in message
ups.com...
does anyone here ever set out to collect anything other than coins? i
know the answer is yes and maybe some of you can pitch in what other
areas you've dabbled in.

today i'm letting go of one collection which at its height i had just
about as much passion for then as i do now with coins. it was a
collection, oh boy this is going to sound geeky, of... chemical
elements. you know, the stuff that makes up everything in the
universe. and any of you who know me privately know i'm hopelessly
afflicted with a get-one-of-each mentality (see my roman coin
collection at http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid28.php )

it's a bitter sweet moment to put the elements up for sale. you know,
something you put that much work into, even if you let go of actively
pursuing, has become a part of you at some level. but collections are
alive - or should be - so that unless you're a pack rat once your
interests change over time it's best to recycle them and let someone
else experience that rush you once felt.

i know this guy bill who's nuts about old coke bottles. others are
into fossils, minerals and so on. so what non-coin stuff have you gone
ga-ga for?

ras

Old May 27th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"note.boy" wrote in message

The pheasant has to be dumbest bird, they will stand at the side of a road
in Scotland and at the same time when the one car that comes along that
road per day it will then decide to cross the road. Billy

Sounds like deer to me.

Old May 27th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

wrote in message
ups.com...
does anyone here ever set out to collect anything other than coins? i
know the answer is yes and maybe some of you can pitch in what other
areas you've dabbled in.

I have had several other hobbies at one time or another, but they all died
out and are in boxes long forgotten or sold off on eBay.

Old May 27th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:57:58 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:25:42 -0400, "John Ahnen"
wrote:

Another collection, which at times seems like controls me, are barnyard
fowl. Chickens, turkeys, peafowl and guineas, which are multiplying out
of
control.

My suburban-born daughter just spent a few days visiting some people
in rural North Carolina. Previously, she had not been near any turkey
that was not on a plate or in a sandwich.

She was absolutely amazed watching a tom turkey. She brought back
many pictures of the wattle (is that the right term?) in various
stages of color. It changes from gray to bright red depending on the
turkey's disposition. This particular tom was like an outdoor
housepet, and followed her around like a puppy. I guess he liked
being on camera.

It is claimed that turkeys are not too bright, but my daughter claims
that the guinea fowl makes the turkey look like a genius.

The pheasant has to be dumbest bird, they will stand at the side of a road
in Scotland and at the same time when the one car that comes along that road
per day it will then decide to cross the road. Billy

The pheasant isn't all that dumb. At least it made it to Scotland.
It could have chosen to go to Cleveland to stand by the road.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old May 28th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

wrote in message
ups.com...
does anyone here ever set out to collect anything other than coins? i
know the answer is yes and maybe some of you can pitch in what other
areas you've dabbled in.

I have had several other hobbies at one time or another, but they all died
out and are in boxes long forgotten or sold off on eBay.

I have collected many things over the years but mostly useless knowledge.
If you can make money from knowledge that is prolly a fact I don't know, if
it is useless
and worthless, then there is a good chance I know something about it.

things I have collected in the past:
stamps and postcards
cameras
rocks and minerals
red books
paper match books, mint of course :-)
pens and pencils
guns
knives
Indian artifacts
fantasy figures in metal
a category I call odd stuff which is a catch all
tools
alley opp comic strips
comic books
I never collected baseball cards tho there are a few lying around here
somewhere
maps
cast toys, the old kind like cast iron
dubious memories :-)

I collect coins, have from the beginning and every few years I sell
everything and start
fresh in a new direction. I tend to lose money in coins but I have a good
time and never spend
a whole lot.

Dale
ya could sell my entire collection and maybe get one nice coin :-)
but what fun is that...

Old May 28th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message
m...
In article , "John Ahnen"
wrote:

[...]

geese are awesome alarm systems and yard protectors.

Anyone living in a home with geese running around in the yard probably
wouldn't be very tempting targets for burglars. Of course they might warn
of an approaching fox. But then if you got rid of the geese, no foxes would
come around anyway. Except maybe for the pea hens.......

Old May 28th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

yep, my head is a treasure trove of useless knowledge.
the kids call me the factoid.

Beats being called the hem...er, never mind. 8)

James

Old May 28th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

wrote in message news:MYn6i.514530

any model kits left?

I still have quite a bit of the VVS still crated.