Seeburg USC2 Firestar Jukebox - Value / Opinions

Old December 15th 03, 03:58 PM
Fred

Default Seeburg USC2 Firestar Jukebox - Value / Opinions

There is a non-working Seeburg USC2 Firestar Jukebox near where I
live. This is the 1971 model that holds 80 records (160 selections).
The machine lights up, mechanism moves, but the selector pad doesn't
work and it doesn't play. The owner knows little about its value and
is asking $500 (he described it as 'beautiful'). I'd consider
offering $350 and I've seen these go for $1,500 (retail) restored. I
also see non-restored ones under $600 on a regular basis. I
personally like the 100R and 200V models. I have about 5000 (yes
that's five thousand!) 45 RPM records and I really want a machine to
just play the records. I like a nice sound. I like the warmth of the
tube amplifiers on the older machines, but it would be nice to have
access to more records and perhaps. Frankly the USC2 is somewhat
UGLY, but not as bad as some other late 1960 machines or the later
1970 disco machines. Any opinions on the Firestar or recommendations
for a good playing jukebox for a record collector such as myself? I
suspect my best "bet" would be a fully restored V200 (100 selections
and likely the best sounding amp of that era). Of course $350 verse
something like $4000 for the V200 (if you could even find one). Then
there's the issue of moving a 425LB monster down the stairs into my
basement!
Old December 16th 03, 12:07 AM
Keith Stelter

If the USC2 isn't selecting I would say that you are in for a $300.00 repair
IF you can find the parts and someone to work on the electronic boards.
I usually get these jukes for about $300.00 working but filthy here in
Michigan and Indiana.
I've never seen them going for anywhere near the prices that you mention,
but if you live in California or New York City it might be possible.
If you are going to end up spending a grand on a juke, you could probably
find a 50's era Seeburg for a little more. I can usually find 100B's for
$1,000.00 to $1,200.00.
Either that or buy a different, working, 70's era juke for a few hundred
dollars to use while you look for a deal on a "cooler" one.
I know where there is an AMI model "F" for sale right now near Chicago for a
very reasonable price.
I personally have a Wurlitzer 3010 that I would sell for $650.00 right now.
It's VERY clean and works perfectly.
I'm near South Bend, Indiana but could ship it in case you have any
interest. It also has the area where you can see the record playing.
And by the way, most of us "sick with juke fever" people on this newsgroup
probably have 20,000 to 100,000 45's!
I got 40,000 all at one time a few years ago when I bough tout an old juke
operators warehouse! I could have shingled half the roof in the neighborhood
with 45's!!!
Keith

om...

Old December 16th 03, 12:49 AM
fred

(Fred) wrote in message . com...
[...]

fred: i`ve got a couple of jukes & one of which is a usc-1. when i
bought it,it was in pieces. i put it back together & i got to tell you
not only has it been reliable, cranked up it kicks ass. those
bandshells sound great. thanx fred
Old December 16th 03, 01:54 AM
BOBAKER147

I sold a nice one last month for $500. If they don't work I pay $100 to $125.
They sound great but down here (Florida) I cant get over $500 for any 70s-80s
model
Old December 16th 03, 03:12 AM
Jjmscf

I wouldn't pay more than $125 for a non-working juke of that vintage.If you
know nothing about repairing jukes and the boards are beyond a lot of part time
jukers I would pass and find a working one.A V 200 restored will probably be
quite a bit more than $4000.They are more valuable than the C's and R's which
go restored around $5000.The V has the revolving title drum and 200
selections.The R is a close match in sound.There have been working 70's jukes
on ebay go less than $500.I don't know how you feel about Rockolas but
non-working ones are usually pretty easy to repair because they were nearly all
electromechanical into the 70's.No electronic keypads and electronic selection
systems.They have a decent sound (Guys that only like Seeburgs will disagree
I'm sure).I picked up a Rockola 450 last winter at a local auction for $45 and
fixed it in no time.The gripper was gummed up.Some contact
cleaning,lights,needle and good scrubbing of the filthy cabinet and it was
working and looking a lot better than when I bought it..I did have to rob a
parts box for some missing cosmetic items.Sold it dirt cheap (Less than $200
because my boss was interested in it)Gotta keep my employer happy you know.Of
course I'm married to it when it breaks.Sounds good but I have to concur that a
friend of mine's Seeburg Entertainer will beat the pants off it in bass.Rockola
did get it's act together on sound in the mid 80's with the Supersound
series.The bass on my Supersound II rocks the house.It's the best sounding juke
I own right now and it's been going for 9 years without a hitch as long as I
don't forget to feed the gripper some new grease once in a while.I think it's
time to change the needle though...lol.I did pay $200 for it at a local
auction(playing but stuck on one record:blown fuse,stuck gripper)Had to have it
when I heard that "sound".And it looks real nice lit up.
Old December 16th 03, 04:37 AM
Bob E.

Fred wrote:

There is a non-working Seeburg USC2 Firestar Jukebox near where I
live. This is the 1971 model that holds 80 records (160 selections).
The machine lights up, mechanism moves, but the selector pad doesn't
work and it doesn't play. The owner knows little about its value and
is asking $500 (he described it as 'beautiful'). I'd consider
offering $350 and I've seen these go for $1,500 (retail) restored. I
also see non-restored ones under $600 on a regular basis. I
personally like the 100R and 200V models. I have about 5000 (yes
that's five thousand!) 45 RPM records and I really want a machine to
just play the records. I like a nice sound. I like the warmth of the
tube amplifiers on the older machines, but it would be nice to have
access to more records and perhaps. Frankly the USC2 is somewhat
UGLY

snip

By now you have gotten some more knowledgable responses about price
and repairs of this era machine than I can give (since I don't have
one of these later Seeburgs), but I do have to chime in about the
looks. I think the USC-2 is probably the best looking of the gray-box
Seeburgs, especially in a dimly-lit room. If the appearance pieces
are all there and clean, that orangey-pink "3-D" lower panel really is
hypnotic! And I am sure the sound (if all is working correctly) would
be more than adequate! And it even has a cool name -- FIRESTAR!!!
I wouldn't throw one out of my house if I had one...the futuristic
shape ought to allow it to be called the Continental of the 70's!

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)
Old December 16th 03, 05:17 AM
Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner

Well I can say I do own a 1972 Seeburg Olympian it is more compact than
the firestar and sounds just as great (100 watts per channel with all
internal and external speakers connected) but does rock the house it
rattled a picture off the wall the other day with just the box speakers.

check out http://www.jukeboxparts.com durfee has several for sale check
it out

Jim W

Old December 16th 03, 06:56 AM
Don Lanway

Same out here in the Northwest... If it's later than about 1961 and not
CD, $500 is about top dollar... Hell, a grand for a CD juke is hard to
get...

"BOBAKER147" wrote in message
I sold a nice one last month for $500. If they don't work I pay $100 to

$125.
They sound great but down here (Florida) I cant get over $500 for any

70s-80s
model

---

Old December 16th 03, 06:58 AM
Don Lanway

Hate Olympians.. love the USC-1, think the USC-2 was a bad idea.. my opinion
only, LOL

Don
Oregon Jukebox (Company motto: Seeya in bankruptcy court")

"Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner" wrote in
message ink.net...

Old December 16th 03, 01:57 PM
Fred

Thanks for all the information. I'm glad to see there are people out
there in this group.

Fred