1982 Copper vs Zinc Penny

Old October 28th 05, 02:06 AM
Barry & Barb

Default 1982 Copper vs Zinc Penny

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Zinc and Copper
pennies?
TIA
Barry Schell

Old October 28th 05, 02:20 AM
Bob and Dee

One way to tell is by the date. 1981 and prior years are copper. 1983 and future years are zinc. But I'll bet you mean how to tell the difference with 1982 pennies.

The only way to tell is by weight. The copper weighs about 3.11 grams and the zinc weighs about 2.5 grams. You need a very sensitive scale to measure these.

Bob

Old October 28th 05, 03:41 AM
Bob Flaminio

Bob and Dee wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Zinc and
Copper pennies?

The only way to tell is by weight. The copper weighs about 3.11 grams
and the zinc weighs about 2.5 grams. You need a very sensitive scale
to measure these.

Not at all -- you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.

--
Bob

Old October 28th 05, 03:57 AM
Bob Flaminio

e wrote:
Not at all -- you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.

hey, i invented that!

Yeah, but I beat you to the patent office!

--
Bob

Old October 28th 05, 04:49 AM
Phil DeMayo

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:41:53 -0700, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

Bob and Dee wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Zinc and
Copper pennies?

The only way to tell is by weight. The copper weighs about 3.11 grams
and the zinc weighs about 2.5 grams. You need a very sensitive scale
to measure these.

Not at all -- you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.

They also make different sounds when dropped on a hard surface.

Old October 28th 05, 05:00 AM
Dale Hallmark

news:1130471413.841fef97e10692372107a14b4d4048ec@t eranews...
wrote:

Bob and Dee wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Zinc and
Copper pennies?

The only way to tell is by weight. The copper weighs about 3.11 grams
and the zinc weighs about 2.5 grams. You need a very sensitive scale
to measure these.

Not at all -- you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.

They also make different sounds when dropped on a hard surface.

Zinc will melt at 787 degrees F but copper melts at 1981 degrees F

Dale ;-)

Old October 28th 05, 05:34 AM
Phil DeMayo

wrote:

Bob and Dee wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Zinc and
Copper pennies?

The only way to tell is by weight. The copper weighs about 3.11 grams
and the zinc weighs about 2.5 grams. You need a very sensitive scale
to measure these.

Not at all -- you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.

They also make different sounds when dropped on a hard surface.

Zinc will melt at 787 degrees F but copper melts at 1981 degrees F

Dale ;-)

If you cut them in half the zinc ones won't have copper inside ;-)

Old October 28th 05, 05:44 AM
Scott Stevenson

wrote:

Bob and Dee wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Zinc and
Copper pennies?

The only way to tell is by weight. The copper weighs about 3.11 grams
and the zinc weighs about 2.5 grams. You need a very sensitive scale
to measure these.

Not at all -- you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.

They also make different sounds when dropped on a hard surface.

Zinc will melt at 787 degrees F but copper melts at 1981 degrees F

Hmmm--I wonder what would happen if you heated a Zlincoln above the
melting point of the zinc, but below the melting point of the copper
coating.

take care,
Scott
Old October 28th 05, 05:52 AM
ras

Scott Stevenson wrote:

Hmmm--I wonder what would happen if you heated a Zlincoln above the
melting point of the zinc, but below the melting point of the copper
coating.

take care,
Scott

the zinc oozes out.

i once melted about 100 post-'82s to make a big blob of zinc that i
brought to my work office. everyone wanted to play with it!

ras

Old October 28th 05, 01:01 PM
Roßert G. Schaffrath

Barry & Barb wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between Zinc and Copper
pennies?
TIA
Barry Schell

I balance the penny on the tip of my finger and tap it with a piece of
metal such as the tip of a scissor. If it rings, it is copper. "Thunk"
it is zinc.