GB 1935 Silver Jubilee Prussian Blue 2 1/2d

Old June 22nd 04, 10:33 PM
rod joyce

Default GB 1935 Silver Jubilee Prussian Blue 2 1/2d

Hello to all !
Hoping someone out there has an answer to this - i tried emailing
Gibbons with no reply, so here's hoping.
In the july 2004 edition of Gibbons stamp monthly magazine, there is
an article on the 1935 silver jubilee 2 1/2d prussian blue error, SG
456a , i believe.
I know of an example that has the control no: W35 and cylinder no: 34
dot , exactly as seen in the magazine article. My query is this, would
the same control no: and cylinder no: be used for other printings or
are those control/cylinder nos only used for that particular colour of
printing.
I'm only asking as i am not the collector. The owner of the stamp
does not have internet access, so i'm trying to help !
If some kind soul out there could get in touch, i'd be grateful !
Thanks for now!
Old June 23rd 04, 06:55 AM
rod joyce

All the 1935 Silver Jubilee stamps had control W35 and all the 2 1/2d
stamps were printed with cylinder 34.
So, sorry, no cruise this time.

Thank you Paul - I'll keep looking !
Thanks again

Rod
Old June 23rd 04, 08:38 AM
A.E. Gelat

I fail to understand the answer. If ALL the 2-1/2d stamps were issued with
the W35 control and cylinder 34, what markings did the prussian blue variety
have? It is obvious that the owner is unable to differentiate between the
correct and the wrong color. Your reply was not helpful.

Tony

"Paul Herber" wrote in message
ell.net...

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Paul Herber Systems Ltd.

http://www.pherber.com/
SanDriLa - SDL/MSC/TTCN/UML2 application for Visio

http://www.sandrila.pherber.com/
email address is spam-trapped - s/*@/paul@/

Old June 23rd 04, 09:30 AM
Rodney

According to Gibbons just the hue.

"No 456a from 3 sheets printed with the wrong ink,
was issued at a PO in Edmonton North London"

HTH

--

(Remove gum to reply)

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message ...
| I fail to understand the answer. If ALL the 2-1/2d stamps were issued with
| the W35 control and cylinder 34, what markings did the prussian blue variety
| have? It is obvious that the owner is unable to differentiate between the
| correct and the wrong color. Your reply was not helpful.
|
| Tony
|
| "Paul Herber" wrote in message
| ell.net...
| On 22 Jun 2004 14:33:59 -0700,
(rod joyce)

Old June 23rd 04, 11:41 AM
Paul Herber

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:38:49 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

I fail to understand the answer. If ALL the 2-1/2d stamps were issued with
the W35 control and cylinder 34, what markings did the prussian blue variety
have?

Control W35 and cylinder 34 i.e all the 2 1/2d stamps have the same
markings i.e. the colours cannot be differentiated by control or
cylinder markings.

Old June 23rd 04, 04:43 PM
Rein Bakhuizen van den Brink

Even in those days the stamps were printed on a fast photogravure press
and you can't have just 3 sheets of stamps printed in a particular colour,
so there must have been more of them. If so, then why aren't there more of them
being found?

Or are they just from a particular post-office that had them sold in that
colour originating from influences special to that office??? Any chemical
reactions in the Edmonton storage rooms?

I know we philatelists are so 'romantic' that we don't prefer the more down
to earth explanations and we do rather stick to modern urban legends....

Just the name 'Prussian blue' is a typical phila-romantic connotation...

groetjes, Rein

Old June 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
Jay T. Carrigan

The Prussian Blues began their lives as imperforate color trials.
Three sheets of 120 were perforated by error and delivered to the
Edmonton PO. One collector bought a full sheet, 41 copies were
sold to the general public, and a second collector bought the rest.

(Source: The Postage Stamps of Great Britain, Part Four, pp 89-90)

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...

Old June 23rd 04, 10:28 PM
Roger Smith

"Jay T. Carrigan" wrote in message
The Prussian Blues began their lives as imperforate color trials.
Three sheets of 120 were perforated by error and delivered to the
Edmonton PO. One collector bought a full sheet, 41 copies were
sold to the general public, and a second collector bought the rest.

(Source: The Postage Stamps of Great Britain, Part Four, pp 89-90)

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

Jay and others

There is a three-page article on the Prussian Blues in the July 2004 edition
of Gibbons Stamp Monthly, containing an expansion of the above statement.
It appears that the precise facts are still not known, even about the number
of sheets that were inadvertently released.

Regards

Roger

Old June 24th 04, 07:19 PM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On 23 Jun 2004 15:43:16 GMT, (Rein Bakhuizen van den
Brink) wrote:

snip

I know we philatelists are so 'romantic' that we don't prefer the more down
to earth explanations and we do rather stick to modern urban legends....

Just the name 'Prussian blue' is a typical phila-romantic connotation...

Rein,

So the Yvert #84 1 centime Prussian Blue *Type Sage* is a
phila-romantic connotation? Hmmmm... From the way they mention it,
it seems to be worth quite a bit of $ - like 85,000 Ffr mint and
32,500 Ffr used in the 2000 catalog.

Comments, of course, are welcome!

(I'll take that piece of romantic history any day!) :^P

Tracy Barber